Do I need a rifled barrel?

FLHTC

NES Member
I was lucky enough to be picked for the Quabbin hunt this year. I’ll be using a Remington 1100 (2-3/4”) with a non-rifled slug barrel. A few guys are saying that I’ll be under gunned and I should at the minimum have a rifled slug barrel; most preferable a 3” magnum. My feelings are that 1000’s of deer have been taken with smooth bore shotguns, what are your thoughts?

Most shots at Quabbin are under 100 yards, so you don't need a rifled barrel if your rig groups well at 50 or 75 yards. Last year @ Quabbin I shot 2 bucks, one at 15 yards and the other at 50 (only 1 of the 14 I've taken there was at 100 yds). Altho I have a rifled barrel, I stay with the scoped smoothbore barrel. When a .729 lead foster slug hits, it usually drops them on the spot, which I cannot say for most of the sabots I've used (and since it is a public hunt, if it runs others may shoot and claim your deer; I have seen that happen more than once).

I use a Remington 870 with a smooth bore slug barrel that I put Williams sites on. I have found it to be very accurate. I would think the rifled barrel would improve things a bit but I don't think it could be a huge difference.

Rifled barrels with sabots are nice but not neccessary as long as you know your limitations. Buckshot can be effective at close ranges if used properly (correctly choked and patterned at anticipated ranges) but few people understand its limitations and consequently wound more deer than they kill with it.

My primary shotgun during deer season is an 1100 with a smooth bore and 2 3/4 Brenneke slugs. Ive taken literally hundreds of deer with that combo in the last 25 years. Dont bother spending the xtra money on a rifled barrel. Use your smooth bore and find the slugs it likes. You will do just fine.
If anything, if you are planning on a ground blind or stand, make yourself a pair of shooting stix to support your gun while shooting . This will increase your accuracy as much as a rifled barrel would without great cost.

I was lucky enough to be picked for the Quabbin hunt this year. I’ll be using a Remington 1100 (2-3/4”) with a non-rifled slug barrel. A few guys are saying that I’ll be under gunned and I should at the minimum have a rifled slug barrel; most preferable a 3” magnum. My feelings are that 1000’s of deer have been taken with smooth bore shotguns, what are your thoughts?
I use a Remington 870 with a smooth-bore, rifle-sighted barrel (I keep a modified choke in there at all times). Shoots the Foster-type and Brenneke 1-oz. slugs quite accurately out to 75 yards or so. Relax, you are definitely not undergunned.

The Quabbin will send you the rules shortly, along with the access cards, maps and doe permit(s). It is deer only. Meaning, no coyotes and no moose (supposedly, so the story goes, one was shot a few years ago and the guy was arrested). The wardens are there to help and may request to see your FID/LTC; we saw one guy last year lose a beautiful buck and his shotgun for an expired FID card.

I'm in a similar boat myself. I want to be able to hunt deer in MA and debated between a rifled or smoothbore barrel. I'm thinking that i'll go smoothbore, my question is what length would be ideal?

I realize hunting season is over for me, but I'm goign to do it next year.

Not to Hi-Jack this thread but is the Quabbin hunt still worth it? When it first started about 15 years ago (or more) there was a huge deer problem there. Is there still a large amount of deer or have the biologists got it under control now?

Smoothbore is fine. As stated 20" is ideal. I have an 870 and mod 50 winchester, each with smoothbore 20" barrels and rifle sights. Grab a box of a few different kinds of RS and figure out which works best for your gun and stick with that brand.

It is not the huge bucks/# of deer kill it was when 1st opened; it is about the same as the rest of the State as far as success. They have a newsletter that will update the kill #s/hunter success shortly.

Not to Hi-Jack this thread but is the Quabbin hunt still worth it? When it first started about 15 years ago (or more) there was a huge deer problem there. Is there still a large amount of deer or have the biologists got it under control now?

I have hunted the Quabbin a couple of times including this past season. Pretty sure it was my last. All I saw every time I turned around was orange, it was like a pumpkin patch. They need to start limiting even more the number of permits given out.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom