Do you want a buck? Try this during the rut.

During the rut I spray Tink's 69 or Buck Bomb Doe in Estrus on the bottom of my boots about 100 yds from my stand then walk to it. I spray the bottom of my ATV tires about 1/2 mile then drive to where I park it then walk the last 100 yds. to the stand. I have watched bucks walk at a 90 degree angle to my path and when they get to my path they turn and follow it to the bottom of my ladder stand. I have seen this many times and have killed at least 30 bucks at the bottom of my ladder. They are smart and know which direction you walk. They never go to where you came from. I also spray a little on leaves about 1 foot above the ground every 10 to 20 feet as I walk to my stand.

joseph

PS: Try it and you will become a believer.

Last edited:
I tried to try to bottom of the tire, but it was against the ground, so I rolled forward a little, then a little more, but the bottom was always against the ground where I couldn't spray it.

Or just drag a small chunk of cloth with some on it and STOP 10 yes from your stand. Last you want at least during archery and even firearm season is a deer to come right to your stand and spook or bust you and you have no shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the day (mid 80s) I was a big fan of 69. (Tink's of course or I wouldn't have had to say back in the day... [grin]) I think I might still have a bottle from that era. Does it get better with age like a fine wine? I loved the video series by Dr. Ken Nordberg (and Tink) on whitetail hunting called Whitetail Hunter's World. Just checked, Doc is still alive in his 80s, has a blog and is writing a 10th edition whitetail almanac (unless it was an old website and he isn't). Remember, don't cook sassage in your hunting clothes. [wink]

Or just drag a small chunk of cloth with some on it and STOP 10 yes from your stand. Last you want at least during archery and even firearm season is a deer to come right to your stand and spook or bust you and you have no shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Drag line. I hang mine around 20 yards or so from the base of my tree when I get to it. Right where I'd like the animal to stop and present me with a good shot.

Joe, you are hunting on 500 acres of private land in GA correct? Those deer probably have gone a lifetime and never smelled Tinks 69? In my area, with all the pressure. A buck probably knows if he smell Tinks69 to bed down or run away.

Last edited:
Joe, you are hunting on 500 acres of private land in GA correct? Those deer probably have gone a lifetime and never smelled Tinks 69? In my area, with all the pressure. A buck probably knows if he smell Tinks69 to bed down or run away.

Yes we have 500 acres bordering up to the Piedmont National Forest which is another 14,000 acres. you will laugh at this, but it really works. If your wife or girl friend is young enough have her save her feminine napkins when she is having her period. Hang them up within sight of your stand and then watch what hapens. I bet you will harvest a nice buck that comes to enjoy her pheromones. I used to use my wifes until she got to old. Try it and you will believe it.

I'm all set with either the piss in a bottle or my woman's old rags... That's just nasty man... In the woods I hunt the deer are well pressured and very well educated. They carry a PhD in hunter avoidance.

There's two problems in these recommendations for me as I see it. First the deer doesn't just smell the piss in the bottle - he also smells your scent trail you made while walking. If you think your rubber boots and activated carbon suite can fool a deer - you're what I like to call - wrong. Also your scent trail will be easily determined to be fake by deer around here. Aside from their being to detect your own scent trail your lure will also be missing other scents deer leave when they walk... like tarsal and interdigital. So what I'm saying is - the deer will smell a hunter who poured piss on himself... That won't get the job done up here...

Those tactics may work on huge tracts of private managed property. But on public land where almost all NESers are hunting you're pretty much not going to see decent deer using them. Oh sure maybe you'll see a deer. Button bucks are the dumbest animals in the woods after all. But a mature animal - never ever ever ever will that work round these parts. You want to hang your tag on a bruiser up round yonder you better be mindful of the wind, understand it, play it and set up based off of it. At no point should your scent stream or scent trail cross a deer's nose if you want to have a chance. We have to be mindful of our path to the stand - not advertise it with those lures.

There is a cool little contraption they you can get at any cabelas or a free state walmart designed just for this. It is a pair of rubberized plastic frames that hold a pad made like the hanging wicks you use with scent. They snap on to the bottom of your boots. The pad holds a good amount of the lure and keeps you from having to spray it directly on your boots. I would expect it would be a bit more effective and probably helps cut down on how much of your own scent you leave behind in the process.

On the private land I hunt I don't try to cover my scent at all. In fact I leave it as much as I can. Now it is just one of the scents in their environment. I'll dump some corn 30 yds from my stand and piss on and around it. I clear brush and prep the area while sweating my ass off. They still come out every day morning and evening and eat that corn. I've been doing this for a few years now so they are well accustomed to it by now.

I almost got charged last year when a buck came walking up behind me while I was crouched in a ground blind. The ****er was 20 ft away when he snorted at me. I nearly shit myself. I flipped on to my back and raised the rifle fully expecting to be charged. Fortunately the quick movement scared him and he bolted. He probably smelled me and thought there was food in the area. lol

I just got my first deer yesterday. I know he smelled me. It was practically a dead wind but the slight breeze wasn't in my favor. He walked out of the denser woods dead in front of me and looked straight at me. Right in my eyes. Several times I watched him lift his head and sniff the air. It took about 20 min before he took another 2 steps. then more sniffing and another 20 min before he came further in. The whole time I'm sweating (it was 83 deg out), and shaking from the adrenaline. There is absolutely no ****ing way he didn't smell me there. After another 10 min of sniffing and looking at me he decided it was safe to eat. Big mistake!! The moment he turned to browse I double lunged him. He's aging in a cooler as I type! [smile]

Back
Top Bottom