Doe tag day today!!

Got my zone 11 as will everyone for zone 11 hope there's a surplus for over the counter this year!

EDIT JUST SAW THERE SHOULD BE LOTS N LOTS OF OVER THE COUNTER THIS YEAR!!!!!!!

I forgot to apply in time - just put it off like an idiot.

There are ~4k surplus for zone 11 so I should be able to get one when they go over the counter

Are there a lot of state wma's to hunt in zone 11? ( i know i can look on the state gis i just haven't yet) I'm hearing this deal of surplus permits and would love to get one...just not sure where to hunt out there.

Maybe I'll actually friggin get one this year.

This is my first year applying.....when I bought my sporting license in january I applied for a zone 9 doe tagg.......do I jsut log into the licensing site and check tomorrow?

Are there a lot of state wma's to hunt in zone 11? ( i know i can look on the state gis i just haven't yet) I'm hearing this deal of surplus permits and would love to get one...just not sure where to hunt out there.

There are a few. I like Haskell Swamp myself. It's big an not heavily hunted - even during shotgun. There is never more than a car or two in the parking lot. The lot is right across the street from Sippican Rod and Gun in Rochester. Miles Standish is huge too. It's stocked for pheasant so just stay away from those areas. Stay away from Freetown State Forest entirely. That place is a sea of orange. During archery they stock it with pheasant so it's full of bird hunters. During shotgun deer it's safer to be in Kandahar Afghanistan. If you do hunt Freetown State Forest stay west of Bell Rock Rd. Not much happening in that part of the forest. I think people tend to forget about it. SE Mass Bio Reserve and Copicut woods are huge woods without much hunting pressure too. They do abut Freetown State Forest though - so look at the map and stay away from there.

Last year was my first year hunting. So I hit all the woods during all 3 seasons and pretty much found out the above based on my experience. YMMV. Cerfer showed me around some municipal public land in Westport. It was a good experience as he showed me some things to look for. But I found a lot of deer stands, trail cams and encountered other hunters. The trust that owned the land said there was no hunting on some of the land and the other land seemed pretty well pressured so I didn't end up hunting them.

There is also Acushnet Cedar Swamp which NO ONE HUNTS - and I mean no one. Never seen a car, stand, trail cam, anything.... Woods are full of deer and turkey. But New Bedford has a town ordinance against discharging firearms. Should be okay with a bow though.

Last edited:
I logged in but am not getting the option for antlerless deer permit?
I applied with license purchase but nothings coming up....F&G website says instant awards start on 8/1?
Am I missing something?

I logged in but am not getting the option for antlerless deer permit?
I applied with license purchase but nothings coming up....F&G website says instant awards start on 8/1?
Am I missing something?
Yes.....today is July 31st not Aug 1

You apply for the lottery when you purchase....then go back to the site on 1 August to sed if you won a doe tag

Yes.....today is July 31st not Aug 1

You apply for the lottery when you purchase....then go back to the site on 1 August to sed if you won a doe tag

Right - I've got the date. So all these permits snagged to day must be over the counter...?
Got it - thanks

Right - I've got the date. So all these permits snagged to day must be over the counter...?
Got it - thanks

Nobody got any doe permits today.....it is a revied thread from last year......see post 35. He revived it so when the website opens up tomorrow to claim the tags if you got one we can all brag.

I have a 18 or 17% chance so I prolly won't get one, even though I have does everywhere!!! I have atleast 1 in my backyard every morning

It's 6am and it still says come back after 7/31

Nothing. I'm a loser, again

Last edited:
What do you mean? The lottery is a joke isn't it? Not only do they have enough for the lottery - they usually are doling out surplus permits at the end of the year.

It all depends on what zone you're looking for. odds last year ran from 100% in zones 10, 11, 13, & 14 to as low as a 12% change of getting one in zone 2.
http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/df...nsing/antlerless-deer-permit-allocations.html

EDIT - As of 8AM it's working - I just pulled a Doe tag for Zone 9!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom