Does a new MA resident need LTC to sell guns?

Cuz

NES Member
If a person moves to MA with a few handguns, do they need to get a LTC before they can sell them to a private party? They happen to own a couple now as VT residents. They want to know if they should sell them before they move to MA. Since I want one of them I have a vested interest here. They have no interest in owning any guns in MA so they won't apply for a license or FID card here.
Thanks,
-Cuz.

Someone who moves to Ma must get an appropriate license to posses guns. They cannot legally transfer the guns face to face without a valid proper license.

The only way to legally transfer the guns right now in your case, is to have the guns brought to a MA FFL and have them transferred to you. Keep in mind that the hand guns must meet the AG’s regulations or be on the List and been manufactured before the 1998 cutoff date.

. . . and if those handguns aren't on the EOPS List, they would have had to be in possession of a MA Dealer or LTC-holder on 10/21/98!

Sounds like a "no go" unless they get a MA LTC.

If a person moves to MA with a few handguns, do they need to get a LTC before they can sell them to a private party? They happen to own a couple now as VT residents. They want to know if they should sell them before they move to MA. Since I want one of them I have a vested interest here. They have no interest in owning any guns in MA so they won't apply for a license or FID card here.
Thanks,
-Cuz.
If you want it real bad, you may want to think about paying the cost for one of them to get an LTC. What kind of gun is this, anyway?

The problem with getting an LTC for such a purpose is that it is a severe
pain in the ass in most cases, especially if they reside in a town which requires things like reference letters, and an MA training certificate. (required in all
cases). Even if, say, the person took NRA basic pistol a few years
ago, the cert is only valid for a year in MA, IIRC.

The cost can be well over $100. If the guy is a male (and can't use any of
the free courses offered for women) figure that's going to cost him another
$100 right there, unless he can take a course for free from an NRA/MA
certified instructor.

The true cost of getting an LTC in this state for most people is probably
like $200 + cost of time invested. (figure, since most licensing officers
arent around on nights and weekends, that youll have to blow at least a half
day off from work, etc... and maybe AGAIN to pick up the license!)

-Mike

If you want it real bad, you may want to think about paying the cost for one of them to get an LTC.

The true cost of getting an LTC in this state for most people is probably like $200 + cost of time invested.
Mike, why do you think I used the phrase "real bad"? [rolleyes] Believe me, I know how this state screws the gun-owner. I'm guessing that that gun is either a family heirloom or something that's on the EOPS list.

Last edited:
They have no interest in owning any guns in MA so they won't apply for a license or FID card here.
Thanks,
-Cuz.

No disrespect but "they" should think twice about having "no interest" as it would make this situation alot easier to deal with... Plus ITS YOUR RIGHT and EVERYONE SHOULD!!

. . . and if those handguns aren't on the EOPS List, they would have had to be in possession of a MA Dealer or LTC-holder on 10/21/98!

Sounds like a "no go" unless they get a MA LTC.

LenS,
You are correct. From what I'm hearing it ain't gonna happen. Damn. I hate stupid family members...

IANAL, but my understanding leads me to disagree with the trend of this thread.

1) There is a 60 day grace period for people moving into the state to legally posses firearms in the state of MA. (see: http://www.goal.org/PDF/newres.pdf, I don't have the MGL reference). They can possess in the home, but not transport or carry.

2) Buying from folks without an LTC/FID has been covered here before (see: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8677&highlight=transfer) and I'm inclined to believe it is correct. Check with a lawyer, but a very qualified one gives his stamp of approval in the referenced thread.

So, 1+2=you get your gun. If they bring more guns than just that one, they will have to sell them (without transporting them) within 60days. If they are not on EOPS, then the sales will have to be FTF, not to or through a dealer.

Matt

IANAL, but my understanding leads me to disagree with the trend of this thread.

1) There is a 60 day grace period for people moving into the state to legally posses firearms in the state of MA. (see: http://www.goal.org/PDF/newres.pdf, I don't have the MGL reference). They can possess in the home, but not transport or carry.

2) Buying from folks without an LTC/FID has been covered here before (see: http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8677&highlight=transfer) and I'm inclined to believe it is correct. Check with a lawyer, but a very qualified one gives his stamp of approval in the referenced thread.

So, 1+2=you get your gun. If they bring more guns than just that one, they will have to sell them (without transporting them) within 60days. If they are not on EOPS, then the sales will have to be FTF, not to or through a dealer.
Matt

Matt,
Thanks for the info. The thread you referenced goes back and forth and seems to go against someone's ability to sell a gun without an LTC. Also, that thread dealt primarily with a person who had an expired LTC. I was asking about a new MA resident who never had an LTC.
-Cuz.

I have been told directly by Chief Ron Glidden (chmn of the Gun Control Advisory Board) that someone without an LTC can NOT sell any guns without going thru an FFL.

Some may doubt him, but I'll stick by that position in giving advice. IANAL . . . I am also not addressing inheritance here or other oddball circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom