• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Does FN Five-seven have preban 20 round mags?

ok. So its useless as most other guns in MA

5.7 is the same thing as .22 mag unless you get the unobtanium ammo made out of FRN. If you want pre ban high cap go Glock. Check the classifieds, there's some $999 mags listed there you should jump on right now.

One word for you- rimfire. Speaking of range toys.

And watch this video.. it is short and to the point

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gszKPxGaUo

I was underwhelmed by 5.7 when shot into a ballistic dummy:

alx - that guy doesn't understand he is looking at the entry hole on both targets straight on, and hit the melon with the .22 WCM low. If you don't hit the juicy bits, you won't get as pretty of a energy transfer when hitting water-filled fruits like melons.

APFSDS - It's doesn't have a place in MA because of mag capacity restrictions. 5.7 is in a unique place where it's FMJ ammo can pass through armor that 9mm can't get through. In other states, it's very much a "target vital bits" gun, and you can put rounds down quickly, accurately, and repeatably.

Not really because most people who have one of those things don't really care about the stupid laws.... those guns are basically just range toys anyways
Ahhhh, I’ve seen someone shot in the pelvis with one… definitely not a range toy. I wish I got to see the x-ray. I wonder if the black Tip shatter it or punched a hole. it was effective but a .45 would would definitely ruin your day more

I was at the mill looking at a 5.7 FN. It was a reach for the price. I tried to haggle 50 bucks, but that was the first store I went in.. so I did want to shop around. I’m glad I didn’t buy it cause I’m broke but I didn’t see a Smith & Wesson 5.7 i didn’t even know they made. it was fire hundred bucks new one a great deal and my opinion just felt better in your hand.

The only reason I want one is cause I have a PS 90 1st gen… I just think it’ll be cool. They have a rifle and pistol in 5.7.

5.7x28 40Gr 1950fps for 338ft/lbs
.22mag 40 Gr 1875fps for 324ft/lbs
You are comparing 5" 5.7 pistol speeds to .22 mag rifle speeds. Although it speaks volumes to the cartridge to be able to pull that kind of nut from a 5" barrel compared to .22WMR's 24" barrel.

5-7 to a MP 2.0 .22WMR / Kel Tec PMR30 .22 WMR, and you get a 3238 ft-lbs to 125-150 ft-lbs. I give a range because 40, 45, 50 seems to be .22 WMR common loadings, and they are all dribbling out the barrel at 1150-1250 fps

16" P-90 to a 24" .22 WMR with 40 grain and you get 2351 FPS/ 490 FT-lbs to 1875 fps / 324 ft-lbs

Get yours hands on some SS190 from a 5" barrel and watch level 3A soft armor get punctured. level 3 will stop it though.

Last edited:
Ahhhh, I’ve seen someone shot in the pelvis with one… definitely not a range toy. I wish I got to see the x-ray. I wonder if the black Tip shatter it or punched a hole. it was effective but a .45 would would definitely ruin your day more

It's still a range toy. There's a bunch of range toys i wouldn't want to get shot with, that doesn't make them great SD calibers.

It's still a range toy. There's a bunch of range toys i wouldn't want to get shot with, that doesn't make them great SD calibers.
I tend to agree with you, but with modern body armor, as opposed to when the 5.7 came out.
Had some value. Not so much these days at that point it kind of is more like a .22 mag or .17

But you have to figure a crossbow will defeat soft body armor

I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of range toys I'd be ok with being shot by [rofl]
You guys the only ones that I shoot with in a long time. Its been awhile, I shoot alone because people are f***ing stupid. we should all go up to the green Mountain boys shooting Vermont, but it’s a huge haul and super expensive.

Yeah, I’m trying to think of a range toy that wouldn’t be bad to get shot with, but I don’t really think there is one. Beanbag? Rubber bullet?

This is a completely random thought here I really want a hornets nest, rubber ball grenade. I don’t know what I use it for, but I just want it.

Last edited:
You guys the only ones that I shoot with in a long time. Its been awhile, I shoot alone because people are f***ing stupid. we should all go up to the green Mountain boys shooting Vermont, but it’s a huge haul and super expensive.

Yeah, I’m trying to think of a range toy that wouldn’t be bad to get shot with, but I don’t really think there is one. Beanbag? Rubber bullet?

This is a completely random thought here I really want a hornets nest, rubber ball and grenade. I don’t know what I use it for, but I just want it.
$50 for a yearly membership doesn't sound expensive. 3.5 hour drive, camping allowed, go up in the evening, throw some tents or a mattress. Make a weekend of it.

$50 for a yearly membership doesn't sound expensive. 3.5 hour drive, camping allowed, go up in the evening, throw some tents or a mattress. Make a weekend of it.
You have to pay for every 3 feet of line position you get. It used to be so packed. It took me years to accumulate the line space and then one year my gun broke even though I just had it fixed. I couldn’t go cause my dog needed life-saving surgery. I don’t remember the price but it was like $300 per line position and I had three line positions so it was like $950 just to get in.
I don’t completely remember but each line position gives you and one guest access and then I think you get two more per line section and you need to set up an easy up fans because the cars are just burning left and right

Which was lame because I was making my ammo so cheap I was shooting for straight tracers I think cost me $.11 around

I never made it back since I got my belt at HK and other shit whole Covid thing and then they change their magazine laws. I’m not sure if they even really applied to me but it kind of gated me out..

One dumbass walked down range on a live range
The night before they were saying, it was a “unsanctioned shoot“ we’re all members there’s no such thing. They were just pregaming it, but these idiots put tannerite inside of the refrigerator or washing machine… definitely too much definitely too close and you don’t put it inside. You put it on the front of it so it blows all the shit away from you. I guess this guy caught a big piece of trap though and they had to airlift them out of there.

At least we just blow up pumpkins at NES which I suppose you could get hurt but not really

I see what you’re saying go up there when they’re not holding their shoot it would only be 50 bucks apiece. That could be fun. But I do like the tanks and the quad 40 and the mini guns. It’s kind of worth it if you just go and spectate.

Also, night shoots are f***ing awesome

My favorite target is a some kind of semi-hollow gourd/pumpkin with a hole drilled in the top, stick a funnel in it and top it up with water.
I think we’ve been doing it wrong the whole time we should carve the pumpkins and then just pour the tanner right directly in them until it’s full.. There’d be nothing but a mist it be like Gallagher with his hammer and watermelons.

I think we’ve been doing it wrong the whole time we should carve the pumpkins and then just pour the tanner right directly in them until it’s full.. There’d be nothing but a mist it be like Gallagher with his hammer and watermelons.

I personally don't participate in tannerite shoots. I have enough scars already on my body from other people's stupidity, I'd rather not add more on my own.

I personally don't participate in tannerite shoots. I have enough scars already on my body from other people's stupidity, I'd rather not add more on my own.
If used responsibly, it’s really not a big deal at all. That said once again people are f***ing stupid other places I’ve been people put it in something not even tell you so you’re standing there and then you’re just getting shrapnel…
I’d at least take cover you know

Anyway, we veered way off topic here, but we should all go to the Green Mountain boys..
I don’t know if the sanction and NES event probably maybe get a discount. Last time I was up there it wasn’t working yet, but they were running power and they had gravel down and like a parking area because the first time I went up there it was a muddy shit show.

If used responsibly, it’s really not a big deal at all. That said once again people are f***ing stupid other places I’ve been people put it in something not even tell you so you’re standing there and then you’re just getting shrapnel…
I’d at least take cover you know

Anyway, we veered way off topic here, but we should all go to the Green Mountain boys..
I don’t know if the sanction and NES event probably maybe get a discount. Last time I was up there it wasn’t working yet, but they were running power and they had gravel down and like a parking area because the first time I went up there it was a muddy shit show.

Those first three words do not fair well for NESer's.

I'd love to join for a shoot, but I'd probably just end up being a brass goblin.

APFSDS - It's doesn't have a place in MA because of mag capacity restrictions. 5.7 is in a unique place where it's FMJ ammo can pass through armor that 9mm can't get through. In other states, it's very much a "target vital bits" gun, and you can put rounds down quickly, accurately, and repeatably.

I guess I don't see the advantage. Three extra rounds versus a G17 which is the same size. When I lived in NC nobody I knew owned one or carried one, and down there 60% plus own guns. If you're worried about soft armor and can get the magical AP ammo I guess, but I will keep my G19 with 15+1, a 19 or 20 round reload and hornady critical duty.

1710588886168.png

Back
Top Bottom