Does your club have a "no blue sky" system?

There are ways to build baffles (if -needed- which isn't most of the time) but that ain't one of them.... I wouldn't shoot there either. I'm sure having a long, dark tunnel the diameter of a trash can really helps your sight picture, too. [thinking]

-Mike

No, but it probably helps your night shooting skills! [rofl]

... I'm sure having a long, dark tunnel the diameter of a trash can really helps your sight picture, too. [thinking]
No, but it probably helps your night shooting skills! [rofl]

Hey, that's how the pros train.

latest

They thing about RSO is....... Every member is a RSO well at least they should be.
One of the club's I belong to every member is a safety officer and has the authority to tell others when they are not being safe.

Ex: the rule at one club is when the RED light is on you do not handle guns or ammo. On the bench ECI installed and step away from the bench.

Walking back from the 100 yard berm with my daughter I see a guy fiddling with his AR. I say excuse me we are down range. His,response" the gun is in pieces."
I tell him it's a simple rule and,I don't care if the gun is in pieces.

This is why you end up with RSO. Cause we are horrible at following rules.

Their calendar also has lots of entries like "Pistol range, 10-2, RSO John Doe". So, it looks like you join that club for the privilege of supervised shooting through tubes.

The only thing that's missing from that carnival is a calliope.... [rofl]

Last edited by a moderator:
Southborough R&G has a baffle system, put in place after (in theory) a round skipped off a berm. You can't see the sky at all. I much prefer the sky, but it was better than shutting down the range, which it was for like a year after the alleged errant round. The biggest bummer is that it only goes to 100 yards now, used to be a sweet gong out at 200.

Southborough R&G has a baffle system, put in place after (in theory) a round skipped off a berm. You can't see the sky at all. I much prefer the sky, but it was better than shutting down the range, which it was for like a year after the alleged errant round. The biggest bummer is that it only goes to 100 yards now, used to be a sweet gong out at 200.

So they went through all that trouble to baffle it and didn't make it compatible to 200 yards? /boggle.

-Mike

Would be interested to see how often the outer baffles get hit. I have seen many close baffles torn up pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

I was told that it happened a lot when people started their draw from above their head, and lowered it onto the target.

I could see someone with a big ass revolver, that throws their arms up over their head when they shoot it, firing again unintentionally with the gun pointed skyward. Frankly, that person shouldn't be shooting said gun, but jus sayin, I could see that happening.

Another thing it block your full view of the range . So if some one forgets to turn flashing lights on or switch flags . Then you show up you could be shooting down range and never know some one was down there .

Hell, even a dog running through the range or something... you wouldn't see it until the last possible second.

Hell, even a dog running through the range or something... you wouldn't see it until the last possible second.

That'd be pretty ****ed up if like, a deer ran in front of that contraption and someone popped it right in the brainpan while sighting in their rifle... actually it would be pretty funny, I guess I'm going to hell. That'd be fun to explain to a game warden. [rofl]

-Mike

I uploaded an imgur album of pics from this morning, at OCSA. Detailed are the baffles, with sight lines from standing, bench, and prone included for good measure.
From prone there will still be a sightline to see the sky. I imagine it was a judgement call on the part of the RO who designed it.

http://imgur.com/a/7SBxq/all

Some hight points:

rythrH8.jpg

jdxfWko.jpg
W62i08I.jpg

To got back to the original question. If you buy the NRA range building book it will have ALL the info and pictures with detailed drawing you could ever ask for about outdoor ranges.

Dan Long
Boston, MA

I uploaded an imgur album of pics from this morning, at OCSA. Detailed are the baffles, with sight lines from standing, bench, and prone included for good measure.
From prone there will still be a sightline to see the sky. I imagine it was a judgement call on the part of the RO who designed it.

http://imgur.com/a/7SBxq/all

Some hight points:

rythrH8.jpg
All that work and $$ and you think it was a judgement call to not block out the prone tables??????

All that work and $$ and you think it was a judgement call to not block out the prone tables??????

I really don't give a shit one way or the other, it wasn't my call.
The way the tables are arranged, there may be no prone shooting at all. I just took the pictures and provided the commentary. Make of it what you will.

Looks like the Diver Likes a 200 yard gong. Have you tried the small one yet?

I LOVE it. I'm so happy with some of the changes at the club, including the gong!

I have a new G43, so the little bit of range time I get (between being in the OR and my kids), has been spent putting that pistol through the ringer, but I'm looking forward to shooting the smaller one.

Again, big thumbs of the gong(s)!

I really don't give a shit one way or the other, it wasn't my call.
The way the tables are arranged, there may be no prone shooting at all. I just took the pictures and provided the commentary. Make of it what you will.

Im not so sure but I will say most people shooting prone will use the 200 yard line. Which @ Pembroke there is only 1 bench for 200 yards. You can shoot prone @ 100 yards on the 100 yard side but you will have to settle for what space is inbetween the benches. The benches do not move.

Im not so sure but I will say most people shooting prone will use the 200 yard line. Which @ Pembroke there is only 1 bench for 200 yards. You can shoot prone @ 100 yards on the 100 yard side but you will have to settle for what space is inbetween the benches. The benches do not move.

Only a few of the benches are permanent, the majority of them are wood and movable.
There is also another several stations in the rifle house, and a crushed bluestone pad in front of the rifle house specifically for prone.

You can see the prone pad and the secondary firing line, in the foreground:

2XjNEbs.jpg

And this is the 200 yd bench just outside the rifle house. You can also see the secondary firing line and blue stone pad thru the slit between the divider and house:

5LdE0mf.jpg

--Edit - that industrial carpet tile on the bench looks suspiciously like the new carpets in my office. [smile]

If you had a large roof and shot from the back that wouldn't bother me at all. Would probably also help with noise. Might get a little dark in crappy weather.

Shooting into the tubes would make me want to leave.

Only a few of the benches are permanent, the majority of them are wood and movable.
There is also another several stations in the rifle house, and a crushed bluestone pad in front of the rifle house specifically for prone.

You can see the prone pad and the secondary firing line, in the foreground:

2XjNEbs.jpg

And this is the 200 yd bench just outside the rifle house. You can also see the secondary firing line and blue stone pad thru the slit between the divider and house:

5LdE0mf.jpg

--Edit - that industrial carpet tile on the bench looks suspiciously like the new carpets in my office. [smile]

I must have tried and move the permanent ones and assumed they where all bolted down.
I was there Sunday for the cmp match.
While I'm at it any chance you can post the pics of the M1s and 1903/a3 in the rack in the milsurp section ?

Sure. I'll start a thread some time this AM.

I must have tried and move the permanent ones and assumed they where all bolted down.
I was there Sunday for the cmp match.
While I'm at it any chance you can post the pics of the M1s and 1903/a3 in the rack in the milsurp section ?

--Edit - Here's the Mil Surp forum thread as promised:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ce-Rifle-Shoot-10-11-15?p=4699438#post4699438

If anyone wants native resolution pics (iPhone 5s, whatever megapixels they are) I can accommodate.

Last edited:
After seeing the baffles at Old Colony last Sunday at the CMP shoot, I must say they are not nearly as bothersome as I expected. Hope my rural club never need$ them lol, but they don't look that bad.

Yes, hopefully no clubs have to..
I would look elsewhere if they did.
Looking at the haverhill range makes me cringe.
It reminded me of a article i bookmarked

Building A Portable Outdoor Noise Barrier
http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar139.htm

His objective was to cut noise levels transmitted across property lines so he could work on his handload developments in his backyard.

That'd be pretty ****ed up if like, a deer ran in front of that contraption and someone popped it right in the brainpan while sighting in their rifle... actually it would be pretty funny, I guess I'm going to hell. That'd be fun to explain to a game warden. [rofl]

-Mike

Me and al had small critters come out to the short out door range at mass rifle one time. It was so weird shooting down range and them not even reacting to the gun fire.
6a3c6f78aeb26b99204fb709851dc2cf.jpg

One benefit to the whiskers, maybe the baffles too, not the tubes lol, is the option of placing targets at various distances, versus being forced to place them at the berm with an open, blue sky type.

After seeing the baffles at Old Colony last Sunday at the CMP shoot, I must say they are not nearly as bothersome as I expected. Hope my rural club never need$ them lol, but they don't look that bad.

Well built and out of your "line" of sight. Go down to the pistol range and it feels closed in.

Back
Top Bottom