DPMS Uppers: "Classic" vs. SASS

I'm looking at building a new toy out of a stripped DPMS LR-308 lower I got a good deal on. I want it to be more or less a "designated marksman" rifle with the ability to go from removable optics to BUIS and do around 1-1.5 MOA @100yds. I don't expect it to be as/more accurate than a finely tuned bolt gun or rugged as an M1A, but something that will perform as accurate and dependable as the AR platform allows is ideal.

Basically, I am looking to make an all-around, any condition battle rifle good out to 800 yards (thus disqualifying the 16" carbine upper).

I have been looking at the "Classic" 20" upper with a free-floating hand guard and maybe adding folding front sights, price as customized should be around $900.
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5311&cat=1939

VS.
The LRT-SASS upper, that has all the bells and whistles, but seems a bit overpriced at $1,500:
http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4835&cat=1939

I'm looking for functionality and performance over fashion, so I don't care if the classic does not look as tacticool as the SASS. I'm wondering if the SASS is worth the extra $$$.
Thoughts?

I built a 16" midlength rifle with the intent of it being my SHTF gun, built with Troy, Bravo Co., aimpoint optics etc. Nice build but out of all the ARs I have the one I keep going back to and shoot the most is my 20" A2 clone with Iron sights nothing fancy just a plain jane AR.........go figure!

Last edited:
The SASS reciever is their thick-wall reciever, which offers a little more meat and regidity to the body than they standard A3 flat-top as I recall.

Otherwise, it's a question of whether you're going to need the aluminum quad-rail forearm for extra accessories.

How about something in between? Perhaps an 18.5"? I have fired the Fulton Armory Titan and all I kept saying was: "Wow!

http://www.fulton-armory.com/TitanUPC.htm#TitanUPCUppers

Ohh.. THAT has a lot of merit. A bit more $$$ than the 20" classic, but I like the stick-side cocking leaver.

I built a 16" midlength rifle with the intent of it being my SHTF gun, built with Troy, Bravo Co., aimpoint optics etc. Nice build but out of all the ARs I have the one I keep going back to and shoot the most is my 20" A2 clone with Iron sights nothing fancy just a plain jane AR.........go figure!

Sounds like we lean the same way there. For me, practical is better (and cheaper) as long as accuracy and dependability does not fall prey. I like the 20" upper, I am probably going to get rid of my Bushmaster Carbon-15 M4 in favor of a 20" for my 5.56.

The SASS reciever is their thick-wall reciever, which offers a little more meat and regidity to the body than they standard A3 flat-top as I recall.

Otherwise, it's a question of whether you're going to need the aluminum quad-rail forearm for extra accessories.
Kinda what I thought. I really think that if an issue arises that the thick-walled receiver is a factor, I have other issues. I would not think it would make THAT much difference in accuracy, no? Don't really need the 4-rail hand guard, and if I did I could still swap it out cheaper than the SASS package costs.

Kinda what I thought. I really think that if an issue arises that the thick-walled receiver is a factor, I have other issues. I would not think it would make THAT much difference in accuracy, no? Don't really need the 4-rail hand guard, and if I did I could still swap it out cheaper than the SASS package costs.

There is your answer. While the SASS likely offers a little more toughness and accuracy due to the more rigid construction, you're paying a lot for functionality it doesn't sound like you're planning on using. The machined free-float Al quad-rail is nice, but that alone is likely a 200-300 option that it sounds like you're not going to be using.

I agree the side bolt is nice, but remember, but if I recall, that handle slides with the bolt verse the AR-15 charing handle that remains inplace during firing. Typically not an issue, but it is a moving part to keep track of during firing.

The DPMS SASS barrel is a nice barrel for the money. I built my version of a SASS using one. It shoots sub moa at 100 yds. This barrel combined with the magpul prs stock and YHM diamond rifle length rail makes it way more gun than i want to shoot off hand.
it does perform awesome off of the bench (what i intended to use it for when i built it)

Back
Top Bottom