"Drew but did not fire" Now what?

Fooped

Resident HK Guru
How about this scenario:

Good guy is walking down the street somewhere in Mass (assuming a urban area where a confrontation is more likely). GG is confronted by one or more BG's and fears for his life or the lives of his loved ones. GG draws and commands "stop" or something to that effect. BG's decide (with what little brains they have) that GG is not to be messed with and flee the scene, or comply in some other way (get on the ground, drop whatever weapons they may have had, etc.)

If they run, and the danger is at least for the moment over, is this a "whew, close call let's get the hell out of here and never mention it again" kind of scenario? To me, it seems like poking the bear calling the cops if the BG's are gone and the situation is defused. If they're still there on the ground or what have you, I realize that this is not as simple, but what do you all think? The BG most likely woudn't go to the cops and say "He pointed a gun at me!" largely due the fact that he's:

A: A bad guy.

B: Most likely wanted for something else anyways.

C: Still cleaning the shit out of his drawers from getting a taste of his own medicine.

D: Doesn't know who the GG is.

Let the games begin![smile]

Dial 911 and tell them what happened. What if the BGs call first and report lunatic with a gun? Usually the first caller is treated as the victim.

This scenario has been played out on more than a few of the various firearms forums. Responses are usually split between just getting the heck out of there and calling the cops to report the incident to insure that you are cast in the role of the "good guy". I can't recall any specific stories but I have read a few in which the good guy had the cops called on him/her for pulling a gun.

And there was an incident in western (?) Mass in which a female motorist felt threatened by a trucker, displayed a gun, and had the cops called on her. It's somewhere here on the forum I am sure.

Unless there are some really strange circumstances I think the best course of action is to call the cops and report the incident in order to get you on the report as the victim who turned the tables on the attacker.

Why didn't you fire if you really felt threated?

"Well Officer I was just about to fire when the attacker turned and ran and I did not feel that I was justified in shootin him in the back since he broke off the attack at the sight of my gun."

If you have to pull your gun (or even insuinate that your carrying one, or even
get to the point where your hand is on your gun) ALWAYS be the first person to call the cops.
The "complaintant" is generally given the benefit of the doubt.

I know of one case where a guy did not do this, and the perp decided to
tattle to the cops about the guy with the gun, and make it appear as though
the CCW was the "bad guy". It -CAN- happen.

There are times where a pure "nike defense" is useful... but that certainly isn't
one of them.

-Mike

Last edited:
It has happened -- GG gets arraigned

I remembered the story but wanted to cite a newspaper article. Couldn't find one, but Google brought up the Northeastshooters thread!

Anyone knows what came of it? Nothing in the Cape Cod Times archive.

cheers,
Chuck

I forgot about that article. I wonder what happened with that.

I think the "He Said" "She said" scenario works better if you call first. With I gun I would call first.

Definatley call and identify yourself and what happened.
1) If you can give a description of the bad guy the PD can start looking for them
2) May relax the cops already on the way to "man with a gun" called in by passing motorist
3) If BG calls in and you don't, you now look like you had something to hide

Back
Top Bottom