dual residency??

OK so here is my situation.......

I am going to be a senior next year at the University of CT. I am looking at renting an off campus place for my last year with a few friends. However my home is in southeastern Mass...

That said I am turning 21 this summer. Now I am trying to figure out my options and would realllly like any help that can be offered about this.

Ideally,

Option 1: I am wondering if there is a way for me to be a resident of both CT and MA. That way I can (hopefully) get my LTC unrestricted from my town this summer, and also get one from CT. Benefit there being I could buy from CT and avoid the list,etc. (Maybe buy a few extras to transfer????) Basically what I am asking is can I be reconginized as a resident of both CT and MA at the same time and have resident LTC's in both places? I dont see why not as I can show both licensing officials bills in my name at both places... maybe someone that has 2 homes in different states have done this???

Option 2: If my town decides they dont want to give me my LTC unrestricted, I could pull my application, then declare my residency in CT, get my license there, and then apply for an out of state
MA license. Question here being what would I have to do to considered a non resident would I need to register my car, get ct drivers license etc???? If I did this it might be a PITA, but after the school year is over, I can declare my residency back to MA, bring in whatever fine firearms I bought while a resident of CT.

Option 3: Get LTC from my town in MA, and just get an out of state CT license.

Option 3 is probably your only option. You aren't likely going to be considered a CT resident while in college. And usually for firearms purposes you can't declare dual residencies like that.

the more i think about it the more I want to go the CT resident route. It seems as if being a resident of both isnt going to work... But for arguements sake, I could theoretically buy a kimber, glock, springfield xd, and something else nice, then when I am done with school and get my MA residency back, I could do FTF transfers with those correct?

Are you planning on living OFF campus? If not you won't likely get a CT permit. Also you may need more than just a part year residency there to get an in state permit.

yes, i would be living off campus.... Maybe contacting the firearms licensing of the state police would clear up what I need to get my CT resident license....

This topic came up while I was bs'ing at one of my local dealers shops on Monday. His attitude is that as far as firearm's sales are concerned, there is no dual residency. It came up when a MA resident wanted to purchase a handgun at his shop as a NH resident while living in MA.

Back
Top Bottom