• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ear protection: A Question for the Northeastshooter Cogoscenti.

Just bought a pair of Walker’s Rechargeable Electronic Earbuds (NRR 23 dB) they’re on the way but I used to double up with generic earbuds and headphones at rifle ranges and headphones alone at pistols only ranges.
These suck balls one has turned on the other has not after hours of proper charging. Buy at your own peril.

I wouldn't agonize over what muffs you get. I'd simply get some custom plugs made for ~$75 and a decent set of electronic muffs.

If you've been doing research you have probably realized that more money doesn't necessarily buy you better sound reduction.

I have a pair of these peltors.

Peltor Tactical Sport Communications Headset MT16H210F-SV, Headband Up to 14% Off w/ Free S&H — 2 models

Though you don't need to spend that much. I'm happy with them despite the cost because they are 10+ years old and still work great. Plus they fold up on themselves and don't take up much space. The way the muffs end up against each other when collapsed, I store my custom plugs inside of them. So everything is in one place.
Thanks! I'm getting some very good advice here.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1hlykGQ7nM0

I’m looking for some noise reducing electronic ear muffs for the range and also to keep on my night stand. I checked out some of the Howard Leight Impact Sports Electronic earmuffs (from this video above), but from the reviews on Midway, a lot of one stars, it made them look really frail. Does anyone have some advice on what direction I should go in? I bought some Walker ear buds and one didn’t work out of the box and the other was totally weak...like literally static/pink noise in your ear drums. I don’t want to make the same mistake again and want to consult the NES cogoscenti.

Ah I think we're crossing paths. I'm talking directly to the OP's question about 30NRR muffs only. If I were him I wouldn't hunt for 30 over 27. I'd just use whatever muffs were most comfortable and cheap and then add plugs. There are some muffs that simply aren't worth the extra money for 1-5db extra protection, especially when those options tend to be gigantic and uncomfortable (high tension).

My pro ears ultra 33s don't cost that much (50 bucks? ) and even though they are huge, they are very comfortable. I wear custom plugs under them when shooting
indoors, (and sometimes outdoors, at competitions, etc) but the plugs are probably only worth like 10 db at best, but they add just enough protection to keep my bell from getting rung if there are people firing big shit inside. I can literally wear those things for hours without fatigue (both the muffs and the plugs) They are useless for (most) long guns, though. (interferes with cheek weld, etc) Usually when shooting long guns outdoors I just go to 29-33 db throwaway plugs or maybe the same with lesser muffs over them. The only problem I have with throwaway plugs is over time they end up pissing off my ear canals, etc. Some brands are much better than others, though.

I will add if you're shooting indoors I would absolutely wear double protection all the time regardless of what you are shooting because you'll take a beating from other lanes.

This, too, if you're not doubled up inside you're basically just BEGGING to get your bell rung. Like when I am at MFL and some guy is running a 7" faglaroid AR in the next cube over with a loudener on it, since I'm doubled up its "merely slightly annoying" but if I have guests who didn't listen to me about doubling up, they're giving me the "jesus christ, wtf is that?" look every time that guy pops off a shot...... [laugh]

How many of you wear hearing protection while mowing and snow blowing?

I use my custom shooting plugs for that all the time, NRR likely isnt high (I bet they're not worth more than 10-15 db) but its enough to eliminate most of the danger from that stuff. You certainly notice the difference after your done.

Do Bose noise cancelling QC35 headphones provide adequate protection?

Almost nothing. I have a friend who thought that those would do something, I told him "not sure if serious" I think he fired a few shots with his, and that was the end of that... [rofl]

NC headphones are really only good at canceling white noise and basically its just using fakery to do it, anyways. It's not actually doing anything about the SPL of the noise at your ears....

Seems like the consensus is that custom-fit plugs is the way to go (plus muffs) -- anyone have recommendations for someone who can do a good job in the North Shore MA area?

This, too, if you're not doubled up inside you're basically just BEGGING to get your bell rung. Like when I am at MFL and some guy is running a 7" faglaroid AR in the next cube over with a loudener on it, since I'm doubled up its "merely slightly annoying" but if I have guests who didn't listen to me about doubling up, they're giving me the "jesus christ, wtf is that?" look every time that guy pops off a shot...... [laugh]
That’s funny you mention MFL because I ALWAYS double up there for the exact same reason.

These are brand new to market... I'm looking forward to trying them out and to hear reviews from people whobacked them on kickstarter

Last edited:
That’s funny you mention MFL because I ALWAYS double up there for the exact same reason.
The funny thing is MFL is much less abusive in terms of acoustics than most of them, but it can still get pretty insane. I think the tie is between the dude with 7in AR with binary trigger and years ago a 10 year old girl shooting her dad's braked 8-10" Thompson Contender pistol in 30-30 ..... this middle aged broad and her husband actually got pissed off at the guy, then they got an RO (who probably told them to get a grip) and then they mouthed off at an RO, they actually kicked the whiners out after giving them a refund. And the funny thing if they had waited a 5 minutes the TC wouldn't have been run anymore they literally only fired like 10 shots out of it, but every time that thing went off the lights on the target carriers would flicker from the concussion wave.... [rofl] the best part was seeing the young lady smile in accomplishment after she hit the target while using her father's 30-30 hand cannon... [laugh] Way to go "Dad". :)

My grievances are not with the veterans and their 50 beowulf rifles but with the NH Chad hardos and their magpul drums and full-auto ARs. Braggarts! That’s why I always double up if I’m going to last even an hour on the line with my sanity still intact.

These are brand new to market... I'm looking forward to trying them out and to hear reviews from people whobacked them on kickstarter

Jeepers, $160! Definitely want to wait for more reviews to flood in.

Almost nothing. I have a friend who thought that those would do something, I told him "not sure if serious" I think he fired a few shots with his, and that was the end of that... [rofl]

NC headphones are really only good at canceling white noise and basically its just using fakery to do it, anyways. It's not actually doing anything about the SPL of the noise at your ears....

You are partially right.

We agree that ANC headphones work best on constant noise. Like engine and wind noise. As such they are ideal for use in small aircraft. I've owned active noise canceling headphones by both Bose and Lightspeed and they are very effective against wind and exhaust noise.

Its not trickery. The amplifier creates out of phase noise that actually really factually cancels out the ambient noise truly reducing the SPL at the wearers ear.

When it comes to shooting ear protection, on the basis of comfort, noise reduction and convenience (being able to hear others). You can't beat custom in-ear plugs combined with a reasonably priced set of amplified muffs.

Back
Top Bottom