• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Expired LTC question.

My LTC expired a year ago. I am a nurse. The last year at work was extremely crazy, my father had a lengthy battle with Covid, I never received anything in the mail reminding me that my LTC was expiring soon, and I have 3 kids. Because of all this I have put renewing it on the back burner until now. Should I explain all this to my local PD, or just start the application process all over again? Also, will owning guns during this process pose any issues? Will they be confiscated or destroyed if I explain my situation to my local PD? I live in Mass and I have not been carrying since it lapsed. Any help would be appreciated.

I would just ask my local pd how to do it. I've heard some started over and some just renewed. I assume depends on town.
I wouldn't worry about any guns. I also wouldn't bring it up.

Just my 2 cents IANAL

Good luck . And I hope your 2022 is better

Another up vote for @appraiser .

Give your guns to a friend to hold onto (a friend with an LTC)

Go down and submit renewal paperwork. Just submit and don't tell any stories or talk more than necessary to submit. Keep it simple.

It is not a criminal offense to possess your firearms with an expired LTC, but a civil one. As long as it was not revoked and as long as you did not renew and get a denial, you are forever immune from criminal prosecution for possession.

I've let my license expire twice over the years. Last time was in Boston several years ago. When I renewed, they said, "You know, you should have taken care of this earlier." and then they expedited it so I wouldn't "get myself in trouble" No one mentioned anything about penalties or legal consequences. Mind you, this was Boston, you're probably fine wherever you are. Just approach it straight on.

i don't think the police will be interested in your story. can't you just go down to the station and let them tell you if you need to reapply or renew? you don't have to make this a huge chore, i'm sure many people fail to renew for whatever reason they have and it gets sorted in the end.

Put in the renewal paperwork - no explanation needed.
People usually take the easiest, least contentious path - don't ask for issues and you will likely not get any.

If asked then the answer should simply be - life issues, you're a nurse and was busy with covid concerns.

But they won't ask because they don't want to have to listen to your story, or anyone else's.

Even if it is 20 yrs since it expired, it is (per MGL) ALWAYS just a renewal. PDs can do (and demand) whatever they want, but the law is clear on this.

As stated above, do NOT volunteer any info on why you didn't. If asked directly, just mention you were flat-out with COVID issues at work and with your Father and leave it at that.

As crackpot stated, it is NOT a criminal offense to possess with an expired LTC, it is just a civil fine. Unless you live in Brookline or Watertown, I can't see a PD taking any action (confiscation) against you. If you are nervous about it, lend them to a friend with LTC to hold them for you until you get your renewed LTC.

I know when I was going through my divorce I was worried that she might try to get a restraining order so I gave my guns to my brother to hold until the divorce was final. Not the same situation but I didn't worry about that late night knock asking for the guns.

I can't imagine any PD is going to go California style nuts over a renewal. It is my layman's uninformed opinion that you still 'own' guns loaned to a friend. They are still registered to you and would be subject to confiscation under some conditions (Expired license not one of the conditions) Guns would have to be sold to your friend for a dollar each and transferred to put them out of reach.

If you are worried, give the guns to someone with a LTC to hold for you

Just file a renewal, as if it was still in force, not expired.

Exactly this. My wife was expired for much longer than that when in grad school. It just wasn’t on her radar.

It was just a regular renewal no muss no fuss. She did bring her expired license with her when she applied for the renewal.

Bob

It is not a criminal offense to possess your firearms with an expired LTC, but a civil one. As long as it was not revoked for any reason other than failure to file a change of address and as long as you did not renew and get a denial, or become ineligible to hold an LTC because you became a MA prohibited person you are forever immune from criminal prosecution for possession or carry (subject to the same prohibitions current LTC holders face - schools, surface of the Atlantic Ocean within 500ft of Logan, etc.)
Enhanced if for you (EIFY)

My wife let hers expire... when she finally got around to renewing this past year, I was also went in to renew my green card.

The licensing officer said "Just so you know, if you're carrying and you get caught, then you'll get jammed up". Ha Ha Ha

So... just put in the paperwork for a renewal, and don't talk about anything else. And just because you have an LTC, doesn't mean you own/possess any guns. I know at least half a dozen people who don't own or possess a single firearm and have LTC A unrestricted.

Back
Top Bottom