F Class?

What does "F" class mean? I started shooting more competitively last year and shot alot of .22LR in pinshoots, etc...out to about 200yds. I also shot some action pistol and "action" rifle with my M4. I would like to get into some more distance shooting. Out around 600-1000yds. I have seen a ton of video of "F" class matches and they appear to be shooting mostly modified Rem 700's with optics...I was under the impression that most "Hi-Power" in the northeast was shot with AR's and iron sights...can anyone shed some light to the rookie? Thanks.

F-class is prone-only, usually at the longer yardages (300-500-600).

Traditional "Highpower" is done with iron sights and various positions and yardages.

Thumbnail:
F class comes in 2 flavors, all shot prone, and at at least 600 yards. on an MR1FC target

F-open (F/O) which allows anything .35 cal and under, any scopes, and sleds or supports of most any kind. Fast flat-shooting calibers and highly customized "race" guns abound here. (6mmBR, etc.).

F Target Rifle (F/TR) can only use military calibers, essentially .223 or .308 (or NATO equivalent), and usually involve more spartan tactical rifles and accessories (fixed bipods), and often lower powered scopes (10X Mildot for instance).

A military/service rifle class, with open sights and slings are also fired at any/any shoots, and use the larger MR1 target.

Full rules:

F-Class Target Rifle (F-TR) - A rifle restricted to the chambers of unmodified .308 Winchester/7.62mm NATO or unmodified .223 Remington/5.56mm X 45 NATO cartridge cases. The rifle must be fired off a bipod, rigidly attached to the rifle’s for-end, and/or a sling. Any bipod, meeting the definition of a bipod, may be used but its weight must be included in the rifle’s overall weight. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Any sighting system is permitted, but it must be included in the rifle’s overall weight.
The provisions of Rules 3.16 and 3.16.1 apply to this definition.
(1) The rifle’s overall weight, including all attachments such as sights, sling and bipod, must not exceed 8.25 kilograms (approximately 18.18 pounds. An “attachment” also includes any external object, other than the competitor and apparel, which recoils or partially recoils with the rifle, or which is clamped, held, or joined in any way to the rifle for each shot, or which even slightly raises with the lifting of the rifle from its rest/firing point.
(2) The rifle must be fired in the prone position from the shoulder of the competitor using rifle as defined in 3.4.1(b).

(a) F-Class Open Rifle (F-0) - A rifle restricted to a bore diameter no larger than .35 caliber. (Attention is directed to safety fan limitations of various ranges. Individual ranges may further restrict ammunition), “Rail guns” and positive mechanical methods of returning to the precise point of aim for the prior shot are not permitted. Any safe, manually operated trigger is permitted. Any sighting system is permitted, but it must be included in the rifle’s overall weight.
The provisions of Rules 3.16 and 3.16.1 apply to this definition.
(1) The rifle’s overall weight, including all attachments such as sights and bipod, must not exceed 10 kilograms (approximately 22 pounds). An “attachment” also includes any external object, other that the competitor and apparel, which recoils or partially recoils with the rifle, or which is clamped, held, or joined in any way to the rifle for each shot, or which even slightly raises with the firing of the rifle from the rests).
(2) The width of the rifle’s forend shall not exceed 76mm (approximately 3 inches).
(3) The rifle must be fired in the prone position from the shoulder of the competitor using rifle rests as defined in Rule 3.4.1(a).
Under American F-Class Open rules

Reading Rifle and Revolver has a bunch of 600 yard "any/any" matches, and there are usually a few guys shooting F class at these. You don't need to be a member to shoot at these, and the entry fee is minimal. Highly recommended.

The closest 1000 yard range is in Albany I believe, and I don't know what they have for matches.

So far as I know, Ethan Allen (VT) is the only 1000 yd range in NE. You are pretty much relegated to 600 yds in NE. Reading (as already mentioned) has several any/any shoots.

Scarborough and Hampden (ME) maybe have 1 or 2 a year.

Pelham (NH) has been threatening to build a 600 yd range since the fall of Saigon I think.

Nashua held several each year, but stopped last year. Whether a club politics thing, or just crab-assed shooters aggravating the volunteer that ran them into quitting... I don't know.

A pity though, considering the lack of 600 yd ranges in the area. Nashua still has open 600 yd practices every Thursday morning though, as Reading also does every Tuesday morning. Both are like $5, with shared target pulling duties.

JR

camo11.jpg

Last edited:
I actually saw a couple "mid range" prone competitions list on the NFGA site...are these similiar to F Class? I also found the info about the Ethan Allen Vt matches. Also, a club in Peru NY runs regular NRA sanctioned F-Class matches.

F-Class info try here: http://www.usrifleteams.com/lrforum/index.php?showforum=71

F-Class is not Benchrest, it is a form of High Power and Fullbore and is bound by the NRA Rules as such: http://www.nrahq.org/compete/RuleBoo.../hpr-index.pdf

The 2010 changes to those rules can be found at:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/rul_hpr_10.pdf

F-Class 2009 Fullbore rules as used at matches such as the Spirt of America can be found at:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/fullbore_09.pdf

The 2010 changes to the Fullbore can be found at:
http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/rul_fb_prone_10.pdf

Forbes Range outside Albany, NY is the only 1k yd. set up I know of in NE.

Ethan Allen Range in Jericho, VT is only 600 yd. and holds the State Match in May with other Matches through out the year, info here: http://vsrpa.org/

Peru Rod & Gun in Peru, NY holds Monthly NRA Approved F-Class Matches, info can be found here: http://www.perurodandgunclub.com/ and in the Forums section also on facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Peru-...-NY/Peru-Rod-And-Gun-Club/198853328378?v=wall

F-Class is not only shot at 600 and 1000 yds., it has 2 different classifications Mid-Range 300-600 and Long Range 800-1000, so it will fil anyones need to see if they can hit the 1/2 moa X.

For any futher info on F-Class at Peru, NY please email [email protected]

8X57mm ... You made Me fall off my chair laughing.....You are right on Point about Pelham Fish and Game and the 600 Yd Range. It has been like 12 YEARS? What's the Problem? I have met a few recent members that feel Duped, because they joined thinking the 600 yd Range was right around the corner of completion.

Nashua has a schedule for 2010 as does Reading. Anyone wanting to try NRA highpower? Need new motivated shooters and juniors for our sport.

Last edited:
I have not been to EA in VT, I am not sure how I came to think it was 1000yds. I guess NE has NO 1000yd ranges... (because NY is not NE.)

And in response to amcaloon31, mid-range tends to be fired from 2-3 different distances, where F is from just one. There are a lot of other differences as well. Not the same deal.

JR

Last edited:
Ethan Allen does have 1000yd capability, however, it isn't a range available to the general public. Actually, the whole place isn't available for the general public, except for sanctioned matches. It's an active National Guard base. There is no club you can join to use the range whenever you want.

8x57mm said :

"I have not been to EA in VT, I am not sure how I came to think it was 1000yds. I guess NE has NO 1000yd ranges... (because NY is not NE.)"

"And in response to amcaloon31, mid-range tends to be fired from 2-3 different distances, where F is from just one. There are a lot of other differences as well. Not the same deal."

I don't know why you would not include NY in the classification NE, it's not the Mid-West......and also F-Class Mid-Range is shot the same as High Power Mid-Range....shot across different distances as in 300-500-600 yds, with special NRA Approved Tournaments at 300, 500 or 600, if it's a Regional it has to be a 2-day event. Also the same for Long Range, it can be shot like PALMA 800-900-1000 or straight 1000.

NE means New England, at least to most of us living in one of the 6 states that comprise same.

And you just don't see regional F-Class shoots in NE. They are almost never shot the same as High Power Mid-Range, but instead from one distance, 600 yds, and usually as part of an any/any shoot. They do allow F-Class rifles to shoot in mid-range high power shoots, but of course you can't win anything... because it is not an F-Class shoot. And long range? Never. No place to do it. A sort of catch-22 for NE F-Class shooters. If you want to do the full Magilla, and you live in NE, you're going to have to do some real travel.

In any case a decent primer can be found at:

http://www.michrpa.com/palma_primer.htm

JR

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom