Factory Sig Sauer trigger work on a Ma pistol

I believe that the 40# trigger is a requirement on a NEW gun and you can alter it down. Like getting the 3.5# disconnector on a Glock.

Best bet is call and ask them directly.

I know that S&W will NOT work on a MA gun, period. Fear of AG!

However, being in Plymouth, why bother? Get a superior job done by Greg Derr (NES Member and gunsmith) located in Marshfield. No outrageous shipping costs to bear and it'll be cheaper (and likely better) than a Sig factory job. Not to mention that Greg will do it exactly the way you want it!

Leave the sear and hammer engagements alone,take and polish the sides of the hammer,the trigger bar ,the disconnctor notch,and disconctor,polish the hammer strut,the firing pin safety,Change out the hammer spring to a lighter one Brownells sell a pakage of 3 different weights. If you want a more detail job,Greg Derr,Gray guns, Mike Larroca. The hammer and sear engagements are very critical and must be kept exact. Just polish. Jim

Don't even bother with the factory. Talk to Bruce Gray and send it out there. You will be far better off.

-Mike

get a 17# main spring. 5 min change and a big difference. i did this to all 3 of my sigs.

i have had my 220 like this for 2 years, just got a 226 and shot it with the stock ma trigger and realized how much it does change. i have not tried any polishing yet, may do the p6 once i get another carry gun

get a 17# main spring. 5 min change and a big difference. i did this to all 3 of my sigs.

i have had my 220 like this for 2 years, just got a 226 and shot it with the stock ma trigger and realized how much it does change. i have not tried any polishing yet, may do the p6 once i get another carry gun

Where can you get the part?

Where can you get the part?

Wolff has them.... I think their site is gunsprings.com.

If your SA sucks bear in mind it won't improve the SA. That's all dependent on the sear engagment in the gun, more than anything else. Changing the mainspring just makes the DA a little less crappy.

-Mike

Thanks for the info! my g/f complains about the double pull when she uses it, and I wouldn't mind cleaning it up a bit as it's my main carry gun. the less rough/hard the pull, the less it'll effect my press under stress.

The factory trigger work is nothing compared to the work GGI does on Sig pistols, I would know, I used to work with Bruce.

If you want the best results, call GGI or email [email protected] and patiently wait for your gun to return. You won't be sorry with the results. Changing springs does lighten the trigger pull, but the only way to smooth it out is to have it done by a pro and GGI is the best.

Scott

so....Gray Guns not accepting any new business or additions to wait list until around Feb next year.

Have a 229 that needs some trigger work.

Wait until Gray Guns is taking new business in the spring or work with some of the local gunsmiths?

Thanks as always for the advice

If you just want an SRT trigger any Sig certified armorer can do it. "Action Enhancement" is basically just a polishing job, not really worth $170 in my opinion.

Changing the mainspring will help DA trigger pull weight (and SA to a much lesser extent) but you may need to experiment with different weights to get good reliability. Too light and you'll get light primer strikes and possibly failure to fire if you have a hard primer or something. I personally would not trust a lighter mainspring in a carry gun.

The factory trigger work is nothing compared to the work GGI does on Sig pistols, I would know, I used to work with Bruce.

If you want the best results, call GGI or email [email protected] and patiently wait for your gun to return. You won't be sorry with the results. Changing springs does lighten the trigger pull, but the only way to smooth it out is to have it done by a pro and GGI is the best.

Scott

Having sent a gun to BOTH SigSauer AND Gray Guns I can attest to the veracity of this statement. There is no comparison. The GGI competition package did an amazing job on my gun.

so....Gray Guns not accepting any new business or additions to wait list until around Feb next year.

Have a 229 that needs some trigger work.

Wait until Gray Guns is taking new business in the spring or work with some of the local gunsmiths?

Thanks as always for the advice

Though choice. Some local people, starting with Greg Derr, are very good in my opinion. And I use him before the Sig factory service. Greg is also VERY reasonable compared to most everyone else. Gray Guns is tops, but you're going to pay for it.

If you just want an SRT trigger any Sig certified armorer can do it. "Action Enhancement" is basically just a polishing job, not really worth $170 in my opinion.

Changing the mainspring will help DA trigger pull weight (and SA to a much lesser extent) but you may need to experiment with different weights to get good reliability. Too light and you'll get light primer strikes and possibly failure to fire if you have a hard primer or something. I personally would not trust a lighter mainspring in a carry gun.

A couple of data points on main springs. I believe the stock main spring is 21lbs. The P226 I use for competition came back with a 17lbs. mainspring and the warning that this was no longer suitable for carry. I've since upgraded it to 19lbs which is also what I use in my carry gun.

Last edited:
A couple of data points on main springs. I believe the stock main spring is 21lbs. The P226 I use for competition came back with a 17lbs. mainspring and the warning that this was no longer suitable for carry. I've since upgraded it to 19lbs which is also what I use in my carry gun.

Stock spring weights are not "officially" listed anywhere that I've seen. Unofficially I was told 23 pounds carry for the 225/226/228/229/220. It probably varies a bit depending on which generation too - the older ones with the long spring and retaining pin on the hammer strut seem a bit stiffer. (Maybe those are 23 and the newer ones are 21? Dunno.)

The OP's 239 uses a different spring so the weights [STRIKE]may a[/STRIKE] ARE bit different on that gun. ([STRIKE]Not even sure if they even make competition springs for a 239...[/STRIKE])

EDIT: Wolf does make reduced power springs for the p239. Looks like factory is 18 pounds and Wolf makes 12, 14, and 16. Again, I personally wouldn't put reduced power springs in a carry gun.

Last edited:
Again, I personally wouldn't put reduced power springs in a carry gun.

I would, and I've done it for many years without issue. You just have to be intelligent about how you do it. Usually going one or two steps below the stock value is fine., then replace every 5000 rounds or so. Awhile ago a LEO on Sigforum did some long term testing on this, and his testing basically backed up what I knew all along.... that the factory mainsprings in HKs, Sigs, and Beretta DA/Sa pistols are all WAY OVERKILL from the factory. The reason for this is they probably anticipate that the user will never, ever replace the spring, so that even a well worn in spring will still have the force required to set off whatever primer you can throw at it.

Another thing I discovered, is that with the exception of CorBon, even the weak ass springs that always had trouble lighting off cheap FMJ ammo, almost never had trouble touching off quality defense ammo. I had lowered the weight on my HK USP .40 S+W to 10 pounds as a test. It failed to fire on Fed AE practice ammo, but when I fed it 100+ rounds of "factory seconds" gold dots (at the time, these were available for dirt cheap, like $60 for 250 rounds of GDHP!!!) it did not fail to fire, not even once. Obviously I did not carry the gun with the 10 pounder in it, but I moved it up to 12 without issue. (which set off everything. ) My guess is most of the premium brands of SD ammo use a more sensitive primer composition or a softer cup (like federals).

-Mike

Did I miss something and Sig is now selling the SRT kit to non-LEO Sig armorers? I had it done to mine, but had to send my gun to Sig since everyone I asked told me Sig wouldn't sell them those pieces.

If you deal with Gray Guns tell him you heard stories about the basement he used to live in :). Bruce will understand.

Did I miss something and Sig is now selling the SRT kit to non-LEO Sig armorers? I had it done to mine, but had to send my gun to Sig since everyone I asked told me Sig wouldn't sell them those pieces.

Armorers can get them. (At least I can. [wink])

....the factory mainsprings in HKs, Sigs, and Beretta DA/Sa pistols are all WAY OVERKILL from the factory.....

Of course. This is so that when someone has a dirty gun with an old spring shooting crappy ammo with a hard primer the gun will still go bang. They design for the worst scenario, not the best. In a carry gun that's a good thing IMHO.

You probably take really good care of your guns, keep up to date on maintenance, and always carry the best ammo. From what I've seen you're in the minority. Most people aren't quite as fastidious, and that's why I wouldn't put light springs in someone's carry gun.

You must be special then, because the armorers from Four Seasons and North Shore Firearms could not get the SRT parts when I had my P239 done.

Not sure when you got it done. The kits were very scarce for a while, and they still sell out from time to time even now. (They're out of 226/229 kits at the moment for example, though I'm told they'll be back in stock next week.)

Of course. This is so that when someone has a dirty gun with an old spring shooting crappy ammo with a hard primer the gun will still go bang. They design for the worst scenario, not the best. In a carry gun that's a good thing IMHO.

IMO if the gun is so clogged up with crap that it will adversely affect function like that, that's called winning the PSGWSP award right there. You're probably gonna have bigger problems than the hammer getting too slow.

I don't give my guns white glove treatment but I don't subject them to abnormal amounts of abuse, either. Lightening an overspec-ed spring by a few pounds is not going to stop the world from rotating, that's what I guess I was driving at. Any normal gun owner can do it, reap the benefits, and still have a reliable handgun.

Of course you can get the same effect by firing the gun like 50,000 times. Eventually the factory stock spring will lose some of its weight. I'd rather not wait that long, though. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom