• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Family COMMS

The fact that anyone actually cares about this is part of the reason why radio is dying unfortunately.... I mean it's easy enough to obey the rules but it's still stupid that there's like these Hall Monitor karen people like hanging out sending OO cards to people or some crazy shit....
There wouldn’t be any need for the hall monitors if people minded the rules. I personally don’t want the ham bands to turn into Cb.

There wouldn’t be any need for the hall monitors if people minded the rules. I personally don’t want the ham bands to turn into Cb.

That has about the same chance as me winning the powerball, with the dwindling number of operators in each service. Further things are a lot more tame in either than they were 20 years ago. To claim that amateur radio never had those kinds of abuse problems is absurd..... jamming antagonists were legion on 20, 40, 80 meter bands, and southern california 2M FM was basically a raving shit show in the 90s. Although the mount disappointment repeater was a riot when I was visiting out there. [laugh] All of that stuff is gone now because they either got clapped (rarely) or just lost interest. Theres an upshot though in the respect that in either service theres now a higher level of technical interest, and even among the CB ops the dirty gear has dropped off precipitously.

That has about the same chance as me winning the powerball, with the dwindling number of operators in each service. Further things are a lot more tame in either than they were 20 years ago. To claim that amateur radio never had those kinds of abuse problems is absurd..... jamming antagonists were legion on 20, 40, 80 meter bands, and southern california 2M FM was basically a raving shit show in the 90s. Although the mount disappointment repeater was a riot when I was visiting out there. [laugh] All of that stuff is gone now because they either got clapped (rarely) or just lost interest. Theres an upshot though in the respect that in either service theres now a higher level of technical interest, and even among the CB ops the dirty gear has dropped off precipitously.
The key to remember when dealing with jammers is to NEVER acknowledge their existence. Don't even give them the idea that anyone hears them, regardless of how much they are disrupting your qso.

a**h***s jam because they want to get a rise out of you. They want power, and they want to be noticed.

If you act like you don't even notice them, they will get bored, and bother someone else. because you're not giving them the response they desire. If you insult, scream, yell, and react, you give them exactly what they crave, so they will keep doing it.

Even if you can still carry on a conversation, ignore the offending transmission. Don't even say things like "Hey Stan. I think the repeater has a noise problem again". Or "I think someone has a stuck mic". Just act as if you don't even hear the jammer.

And if they make communication impossible. fake it. Say "Joe. Got a phone call. I'll grab you later". Or fill in the conversation based on what you already talked about. "Yeah. Those Hemi engines really are great choices for the drag strip. Well, supper is on the table. Catch you later."

Back
Top Bottom