• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Federal Primers Really Are Softer !!!

EddieZoom

NES Member
Modifying my G17 for IDPA. Lighter springs produced a nice trigger but light primer strikes every singe mag with WWB. On the advice of several NES's, I picked up some Federal ammo and blasted through 150 rounds without an issue over the weekend.

Very Nice.

This has been well known for ages, which is why Federals are often the choice of wheelgunners with light trigger jobs.

It may be the cup hardness, but also, Federal is the only mfgr using "basic lead styphnae" instead of "normal lead styphnate" for the priming compound.

I always thought Federal was made by CCI which ATK owns both brands. Winchester is a funny brand also. Olin owns the Winchester name but im not sure what they actually make any more. I know at oe time they owned thier own metal alloy business and I think they made thier own brass...I dont think thats the case any more?
I know from my primer type dance I had to do during the shortage there are differences in primers.

OP good to hear you found smething that works. In my experience WWB is only good for informal rage blasting right there with just "good enough" as the UMC remington puts out

Changing springs doesn't move you to esp.

Thank god for that....I suck enough and already bring up the rear in SSP ;)

Seriously, just getting my feet wet with it. Decades of punching holes in paper has not prepared me well for draw, shoot, move, think, cover, reload, etc.

Seriously, just getting my feet wet with it. Decades of punching holes in paper has not prepared me well for draw, shoot, move, think, cover, reload, etc.

Try USPSA, you can forget about the 'cover' part. Fortunately, or Unfortunately, thinking for yourself is encouraged.

If you carry your G17 or rely on it for home defense, you should reconsider any modification that takes away from its reliability... If your G17 is only for games, carry on. (yes, IDPA is in fact a game)

There's a few clubs in the south shore area which offer idpa matches. Have fun. I'd definitely recommend looking up a USPSA match too.

My experience in order of "hard" to "soft". CCI -> Winchester -> Federal.

I have reduced striker spring in one of my M&P 9mm and it does not like the CCI primers. The other M&P 9mm with stock striker spring is OK with CCI but every now and then a misfire. I like the Winchesters and if I can get them that is what I will use otherwise Federal.

Recently I grabbed some Fiocchi because they were on sale cheap. Don't relly know anything about them.

If you carry your G17 or rely on it for home defense, you should reconsider any modification that takes away from its reliability... If your G17 is only for games, carry on. (yes, IDPA is in fact a game)

Couldn't agree more. The G17 is a game gun only.

After years of resisting I finally resisted and made my competition revolvers Federal only.
The only two downsides of Federal primers are:
- The crazy bulky packaging, it makes it tougher to store them and ship as many within a hazmat fee limit.
- Their tendency to blow up Dillon 650 primer systems. Knock on wood, I've been lucky. I do know two people personally that have done it and countless other accounts online.

After years of resisting I finally resisted and made my competition revolvers Federal only.
- Their tendency to blow up Dillon 650 primer systems. Knock on wood, I've been lucky. I do know two people personally that have done it and countless other accounts online.

Would this also apply to a 20+ year old Square Deal B ?

Modifying my G17 for IDPA. Lighter springs produced a nice trigger but light primer strikes every singe mag with WWB. On the advice of several NES's, I picked up some Federal ammo and blasted through 150 rounds without an issue over the weekend.

Very Nice.

I must assume that you have resorted to a lighter striker spring when modifying your Glock. In my experience this has not proven necessary. I have had great results with mods that do not involve the striker spring and compromise reliability. This way the pistol will function with almost any primer.

I must assume that you have resorted to a lighter striker spring when modifying your Glock.

Yep, you are correct. I had resisted knowing I was potentially giving up some reliability. But after 3.5# connector, polish job, gen 3 trigger bar (in a gen 4), and wolf trigger spring...it still didn't feel all that good. In fact, it was worse than my beat to hell Gen2 police trade in 23 that I've had forever. So, added the reduced power striker spring and it made all the difference for me. Since this is a one trick pony gun, I'm ok feeding it Federal primers.

The only two downsides of Federal primers are:
- The crazy bulky packaging, it makes it tougher to store them and ship as many within a hazmat fee limit.

That's what I hate the most - especially with my limited storage space. I couldn't wait to go through the 2 cases of fed primers I had, to free up space for CCI and Win primers...

Back
Top Bottom