Feeling bored/lonely at the range

Anyone else bored of going to the range by themselves?

I may just be in a funk but I've been finding little joy in going to the range by myself. It feels more like a chore than a fun activity. Every trip seems the same but with different guns. I always set up two targets, one on the 15-yard line and one on the 50 or 100-yard line. I always shoot my carry guns and then either my 10/22, my Savage 110 or one of the AR's.

I average only about one trip to the range per week (Saturday mornings) and for the longest time it was fun. I couldn't wait to get out and send some lead down range. I even had a nice routine going where I would get up around 8:00, grab a cup coffee and a bagel from DD and a pack of smokes. I would get to the range and take my time setting up, have a couple of cigs and shoot a little.

Maybe the problem is that I am not being challenged enough. Hmm...Perhaps it is time to get into some form of competitive shooting.

Or maybe it is the fact that I don't do DD anymore and I have quit smoking which I really enjoyed. [wink]

I think part of it what range you belong to. My range sucks, I haven't been there in over a year. The place is falling apart, no one is ever there. I'm actually shocked it's still open.

I haven't joined another range yet because I plan on moving, but I do know i want to join somewhere that has a good amount of active shooters.

I find it terribly dull to just sling lead down range. I'm more interested in learning something about a particular rifle or load or in competing.

B

If you're terribly bored, maybe you could take up an apprentice.

There are lots of new shooters out there looking for someone to show them the way. I happen to be one of them - three guns in and have yet to shoot any of them.

I don't particularly enjoy going by myself either. If you have any, take your kids. I took my 10 year old son yesterday and when he hit a shotgun shell 3 consecutive times with the 10/22 at 50 yards we were both having fun. Looking at his groups I don't think he could repeat it but it sure brought some smiles at the time.

I may just be in a funk but I've been finding little joy in going to the range by myself. It feels more like a chore than a fun activity. Every trip seems the same but with different guns. I always set up two targets, one on the 15-yard line and one on the 50 or 100-yard line. I always shoot my carry guns and then either my 10/22, my Savage 110 or one of the AR's.

I average only about one trip to the range per week (Saturday mornings) and for the longest time it was fun. I couldn't wait to get out and send some lead down range. I even had a nice routine going where I would get up around 8:00, grab a cup coffee and a bagel from DD and a pack of smokes. I would get to the range and take my time setting up, have a couple of cigs and shoot a little.

Maybe the problem is that I am not being challenged enough. Hmm...Perhaps it is time to get into some form of competitive shooting.

Or maybe it is the fact that I don't do DD anymore and I have quit smoking which I really enjoyed. [wink]

Not me. I love being at the range by myself. Yeah, it's OK to socialize with other folks
but usually it's small talk and I hate small talk. I get so into my shooting that unless I
am off the firing line, I have no time to BS. I don't find the range I go to much in the
way of fostering relationships either so that helps. There are a few guys that, when
they see me, have to stop and shoot the s**t but they are few and far between. I
don't do much socializing either as, like any range, there are lots of cliques born out of
long term relationships and I am a relative noob. They know nothing about me and I
know nothing about them so we have nothing to talk about other than firearms.

Almost everyone I have met at my range, with the exception of one armpit that was the
guest of another member and an RO or two, have been very nice. I always thank the RO's
when I leave and greet them with a hello when I arrive.

Personally I don't like going to the range alone unless I just got a new gun or don't want any distractions. I enjoy bringing my friends with me, and we can compete against each other. I also like watching other people shoot as well, especially new shooters.

I usually go with my husband, and a few others, but I also go alone, and I love being alone. Maybe we should start a post where experienced shooters can offer their tome to the novices out there.. I know quite a few people have offered to shoot with me, and I really did appreciate the offers..

i love going alone.

if my girlfriend wants to come that's always nice but otherwise i have no problem being alone or with a good friend.

it was packed today but in the end cleared out and i got to mess up my shoulder with twortley's mk.4.

I love going to the range alone. That way I can do whatever I want. If I want to shoot on the move, or from the field of the range, I can. Also, I can go check/change targets whenever I want. Try picking up a bunch of the Appleseed AQT targets. If you're not familiar, they're shot at 25 meters with target sizes simulating a man sized target at 100,200,300, and 400 yards. They're an excellent way to compete against yourself.

I like shooting outdoor range by myself on a nice day. Indoors? gets old fast.
Indoors is a "out of necessity only" thing for me... I really don't like shooting indoors...

Outdoors is much more fun, I'm sore all over from tossing/shooting clays yesterday, but its a good sore...

I like both... Alone, I can work on specific skills/problems/guns...

With others I use much less ammo [rofl2]

Setup a social group around here of people who go to your range and let the PMs fly when you are headed out...

Either that or start working on your bullet hole art - its really fun... [laugh]
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69875

Big Red, were you shooting at the Brookfield R&G or the other club that you belong too?
I could not join you every Sat. but I could join you occasionally.

If you're terribly bored, maybe you could take up an apprentice.

There are lots of new shooters out there looking for someone to show them the way. I happen to be one of them - three guns in and have yet to shoot any of them.

UpStomp, JohnMac4U (and anyone else) - you are welcome to come with me to Braintree if you'd like. It'd actually motivate me to get there more often.

JohnMac4U - Danvers isn't far from me either.

I've a limited number of guns to play with but it's always fun to let others use them.

Going to the range by yourself is fun. Being at the range alone, not as much.

Come join us at Harvard SC. There's always someone around, even on the weekdays. Hell, I think I spend as much time shooting the breeze as I do shooting, which ain't a bad thing at all.

Ive only gone to the range alone once, and dont care to again. If I hadn't had to get my scope sighted in before I went hunting, I never would have gone that time.

I find if I just go down to plink, I end up just plinking ... Much better if I head to range with specific goals in mind - e.g. this afternoon to get familair with my Sig P229 .22LR conversion, and determine group size on my Remington 700 with 2 different ammo types. Oh, and of course beat the hell out of my shoulder (and atilla's) with my Enfield with 174gr .303

I like being there alone - I can practice specific holster and reloading drills. Next on list is holster drills with my 1911 commander in its IWB holster.

Anyone else bored of going to the range by themselves?[wink]
If I go to shoot, then no I like to have the range to myself as I find I can do more. If I’m done shooting or I’m there to be social then I guess I would.

Respectfully,
jkelly

Last week, after leaving Harvard, my dad said "It's good you like to talk." I asked why and he said that half the reason people go to the range is to talk, and as he's generally quiet, he's glad that I do talk to people so he won't have to.
I noticed last week that when I was on the pistol range alone, I didn't have as much fun as when I've gone with others and we're all shooting on the pistol range.

I enjoy both, going by myself or going with a friend(s). When I go by myself, it gives me time to practice. I can shoot alot, at my own pace. I can practice holster draws, different distances, etc, without breaking my concentration, helping a buddy, etc. On the other hand, its fun to go with a friend, particularly the ones new to shooting. I enjoy watching them enjoy shooting and shooting safely! I also like going with my more experienced friends, try their guns out, and do some healthy competition. Its always fun to beat someone with their gun! The range at work requires minimum of 2 people to go up and use it, so there's no going to "practice without distraction" there, but depending on who you go up with, it can get pretty close...

Last week, after leaving Harvard, my dad said "It's good you like to talk." I asked why and he said that half the reason people go to the range is to talk, and as he's generally quiet, he's glad that I do talk to people so he won't have to.
I noticed last week that when I was on the pistol range alone, I didn't have as much fun as when I've gone with others and we're all shooting on the pistol range.

Indoors is a "out of necessity only" thing for me... I really don't like shooting indoors...

Outdoors is much more fun, I'm sore all over from tossing/shooting clays yesterday, but its a good sore...

I like both... Alone, I can work on specific skills/problems/guns...

With others I use much less ammo [rofl2]

Setup a social group around here of people who go to your range and let the PMs fly when you are headed out...

Either that or start working on your bullet hole art - its really fun... [laugh]
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=69875

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

OP: start a regional social group.

we go to Haaavaaad... [laugh2][rofl][laugh]

you're more than welcome. our secret decoder rings are on back-order, but anyone of us can let you through with the secret hand-shake

It's half and half for me - sometimes I like going alone, other times I like going with someone...I invite people when I don't feel like going myself, but most times I go alone as most people I know don't have the interests to to go as I do. I'd like to have a regular group of people to go with on a set day of the week. Preferably someone who can teach me a few things. I go to the indoor club in Lynn. I'm also interested in an outdoor range that doesn't have too many restrictions.

Damn BR I just got back from the range, I was sighting in the new scope for my AK. I brought my sister along. Just let me know if you want to meet up sometime.

go to the range? alone? almost never. i prefer to have a shooting buddy, just in case something goes wrong. (i trust my own reloads, and all my firearms, but that's why they're called ACCIDENTS).

hell, i go to my club (MVGC in malden) every wednesday night. half the time, i dont even shoot! it's become sort of a social gathering night (pistol school during the fall/winter/spring, and new member orientations the 3rd and 4th wed's of the month).

As much as I love shooting with friends, I also love being at the range totally alone. For me, it's decompression time - no one else's schedule to worry about, no one stopping my shooting time to set up targets. Much of the time, I go with mags empty, and just take my time setting up targets and loading my mags, (the good old fashioned way). Often, I'll being a snack, sandwich or some coffee and take a break between mags to have a smoke, sip on some java and just be....My favorite time is in the dead of winter. Our 200-yard range benches are fully enclosed and there's a wood stove inside. I get a raging fire going and head out to shoot 50 and 100-yards. I love it when I shoot the SOCOM-16/Troy MCS on a clam winter day - the blast from the 16" barrel knocks snow off the roof and the falling flakes sizzle on the hot barrel...[wink] When I get cold, I head in and shoot 200 for a while, then relax by the fire...

I think boredom at the range alone is more a state of mind than a state of being - it is what you make it....I find zen it it at times...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom