• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

WEIRDEST ammo+firearm incident i had at the Range yesterday.....

I think that's what I said only I used the Cliff Notes version. [rofl]
Yeah, I'm only speaking to possibility, not probability. We might, with effort, be able to engineer a situation where there were two projectiles and the leading one exits while the trailing one does not.

Coincidentally, my son experienced a rare failure of S&B 9mm 115 grain FMJ ammo the other day, a kind of failure that usually only happens to reloaders: they'd jammed a primer in sideways. My son hadn't noticed. The primer ignited, unfortunately, but fortunately the powder did not. Didn't damage anything, but that residue of the burnt primer compound was hard to clean off the half of the bolt face where it deposited.

I have seen a 45 bullet that was loaded into a .40 case cause a jam mid stage at a USPSA match, If that could get overlooked a backwards 9mm bullet is nothing.

I saw that on a 10/22 Ruger competition rifle at a match... There was a bit of a blowback and I stopped the shooter... My theory is that the bullet was not crimped properly and when pushed from the magazine became separated and bounced just right off the action and into the chamber... then got shoved in by the case/slide and then the primer ignited and shoved it a bit deeper... still... what are the chances lol..

I dont think it was an upside down crimped bullet as it would be quite obvious when loading the magazine.
Look what some Aguila did a few weeks ago. I think everyone needs to be extra watchful with factory ammo these days. I had Blazer 124gr recently that would pass a breech check as they were too tight.

2A5870E4-227D-4B9A-9F94-B8545F5B8062.jpeg

Look what some Aguila did a few weeks ago. I think everyone needs to be extra watchful with factory ammo these days. I had Blazer 124gr recently that would pass a breech check as they were too tight.

View attachment 847259
Yup. I think if the bullet separates from the case just in the right moment and bounces off the inners of the slide it can land backwards and then the case and the slide will shove it down the barrel. Just so….

And in regards to 40 fired out of a 45- I can see it happen if the shooter is using a speed loader and doesn’t pay attention to what is loaded, but even then I think it is hard to miss … but who knows- we can speculate all we want I guess …

Also, I would say unlikely there were two bullets in the case. If it was so the pressure spike due to the same amount of powder (I assume) and far less volume inside the case would have been tremendous and would have separated the case.

Last edited:
I would say unlikely there were two bullets in the case. If it was so the pressure spike due to the same amount of powder (I assume) and far less volume inside the case would have been tremendous and would have separated the case.

Yup. I think if the bullet separates from the case just in the right moment and bounces off the inners of the slide it can land backwards and then the case and the slide will shove it down the barrel. Just so….
That’s exactly my take. Not seated properly.

I bet it was a fortay fired in a .45. That happens more than you'd think.

Nope defiantly a 45 200 grn semi wad cutter in a .40 case, must of had a pretty good flare to seat it, had some good pictures of it back in 2015 when it happened.

A one in a million shot..... bullet dislodges from case under recoil, powder dumps from case bullet somehow flips when chambered and primer sends it in

Back
Top Bottom