FFL License Questions

Hi - If anyone out there has a FFL License and is willing to answer a few questions, please PM me. I'm not looking for someone to transfer a gun - just some questions on the legalities / processes of having a FFL license.

Thanks for the help

Why not just ask the question publicly here? Others on the forum are likely to have the answer for you.

It's already been answered here before if you search you might find it. It was answered with a MA focus, but most of the laws/rules are the same (except in MA, the business location MUST be zoned business, can't be zoned residential).

Thank Len - I found the long post on the C&R FFL last night which contained a lot of useful information - And I think you put all of my dreams to rest when you stated that the business location must be zoned business. I was trying to think why you wouldn't just get a standard dealer FFL rather than the CR FFL - allowing for more purchases.

Thanks!

Thank Len - I found the long post on the C&R FFL last night which contained a lot of useful information - And I think you put all of my dreams to rest when you stated that the business location must be zoned business. I was trying to think why you wouldn't just get a standard dealer FFL rather than the CR FFL - allowing for more purchases.

Thanks!

The bigger problem than zoning is that the ATF generally requires
that the person acquiring a Type 01 has to have some sort of a
"profit motive" eg; you have to generally show/prove that you're
using a Type-01 to run some sort of business dealing in
firearms. If the inspector shows up at your door and sees you
have 98% personal transfers in your bound book, he/she likely will
not be pleased, at a minimum. Ever since Clinton went through
office, they've been clamping down on "casual" Type-01 licenses
pretty hardcore. It used to be that anyone with a brain could
get an 01 FFL no problem, now its a bit more complicated. It's
still possible to get one if one keeps their ducks in a row; although
doing that is twice as hard in MA as it is in like 35+ free states.

-Mike

Plus, in MA, you also need a MA dealer's license...or you're still stuck with only four transfers out a year. Yea you can get as many as you want in, but only four a year out until you get your MA dealers license.

And, that means storefront... So you're back to Square One again.

I can see it all now, an NES Gun Store and Brewery -- "Shoot 'em, drink 'em, and forget 'em!"

But seriously, the idea of getting one's own FFL is very enticing.

My dad had one for a long time and in addition to doing transfers and sales he picked up a bunch of guns for himself (and me) as well. Now he just has a C&R though as he's moved his business in a different direction.

I can see it all now, an NES Gun Store and Brewery -- "Shoot 'em, drink 'em, and forget 'em!"

But seriously, the idea of getting one's own FFL is very enticing.

Having your own FFL is Evil. It's hard to make a profit when most of the guns you get in you want to keep. It is nice not to have to pay retail for stuff.

Back
Top Bottom