• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FID and Mental Illness

Alan, you are being over-dramatic. If you politely stand yourground for unwarranted intrusions, they will usually back down and no reprecussions occur.
I'm not saying people should roll over over to provide every scrap of information
that some LO requests, or to run their mouth and talk themselves into
restrictions or a denial.

I'm saying that just blandly answering the question you wish was asked
(because you think no one will notice),
instead actually responding to the actual question that actually was asked,
is asking for trouble.

Most of them just read the shit you wrote on the form and convert it into the computer, and any dialogue consists of verifying what you wrote on the paper, etc (in case they can't read your writing or something, etc).
That's what I'm thinking about the usual process.
Heck, one of the better classes I attended for work
was the Interviewing Skills Workshop.
"Just double-checking what you wrote down
on your resume" is the least someone can expect.

It totally comes off as brain-dead,
but it has its uses when somebody's hiding something.

Most LTC "interviews" in decent towns don't involve f***y rhetoric/trick questions.
I bet on average most new applicants fear worse than they actually experience.

LO's probably have some funny war stories about
the flop sweat on some applicants that come in all spun up over nothing.

Red towns (and wiseguy LO's like Len had to cope with) being the exceptions.

I doubt even 1% of applicants had the guts to challenge his BS. Most folks are afraid of authority and meekly go along. But I'm pretty sure that if anyone challenged him, he would have backed down.
I was speaking generally, not specifically about your CoP. I know in Framingham they won't even take an application without the 2 "optional" references. But they are a bit strange there. They will deny as unsuitable for near anything, and the LO practices a soft denial by talking people out of moving forward on the application (they take the app but don't file with the state until after the interview), but when they issue it's unrestricted.

Not sure to start another thread to ask my question.. for now will tack on to this.
A friend asked me a similar question but in that case, her incident was in very early teens.
In early teens, this person had some anxiety issues and spent a week or two in hospital.
No other issues, of any kind, until now where she is at legal age.
She is contemplating how to answer question 12. She is worried that a Yes will mean automatic rejection.
and a No will be a legal problem.

I read earlier threads but can't directly relate to this case. Is something that happened during very early teens going to affect this?
Will cops have access to these records?

Earlier threads define "committed" as being ordered by court. Is that the extend of that definition? what if it was recommended by doctors and accepted by parents?

surely some silly issue at age 10-11 can't haunt you for rest of your life.

Last edited:
There was a recent case where someone appealed a FID that was denied by the court at the request of the issuing authority. The appeals court ruled that the applicant did "not meet the burden of proof" upon appeal, even though the law clearly places the burden of proof of the authority who brought the action to deny the FID.

We also have may courts refusing to apply the new "dangerousness" standard to LTCs because the prefer the more restrictive Moyer "any reason" standard.

what if it was recommended by doctors and accepted by parents?
If her parents could remove her without a court order it was voluntary. As the legal guardians they made decisions on behalf of the kid, but did not "involuntarily commit" her.

As Rob stated, she is not prohibited, BUT if she VOLUNTARILY tells the PD about any issues, she will likely be denied and expect the Mass Marsupial judges to go along with the PD.

At this point in time, police do not have access to medical records unless you give them that access.

Any hospitalization that didn't result from a court order is NOT a "yes" answer on the LTC/FID form . . . so the message is to NOT answer that question with a "yes". And remember that the PD can "ASK" anything they want to, that is NOT an obligation for the applicant to disclose info that isn't required.

Zim
If you haven't figured it out Rob and Len know their stuff, not that I've always agreed with them, just that doing so is risky and should not be done lightly.

I'll add a practical thought. You don't say where this is, and you shouldn't, but POs in small towns, and some larger ones, have long memories. This could lead to a direct question, or maybe they just ask a lucky question during the interview, either way be prepared with an answer. Lying is not an option, and a poorly worded answer will lead to a denial and a Judge that won't be on your side. Keep quiet but be prepared for a casual "So have you had any mental health issues?"

this was a thread i started a couple of years ago. related? i don't know. might have useful tidbits of info in it. an update, this woman and her husband did eventually move out of state, to n.h., not long after graduation so she never contacted comm2a.

can we revisit ptsd again, please

from what i remember, lowell was putting her in the mental illness pigeon hole. this lady got a message to me via another classmate last year saying she shoots in service rife competitions and joined a .22 bulls eye league, both in n.h. so good for her.

Back
Top Bottom