• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Field Day 2017: June 24 - 25

I may get down to Sturdy Memorial Hospital (Scouter-Rick's field day location) and Mansfield Airport (Norwood and EMARG's field day location) on 6/24.

Are these Field Days for people that have little to no knowledge of ham radios? I have always had an interest and the Agawam Field Day is not far away. Geez, just what I need, another hobby.

Are these Field Days for people that have little to no knowledge of ham radios? I have always had an interest and the Agawam Field Day is not far away. Geez, just what I need, another hobby.

Yes, from what I'm told. I have the license but no real knowledge of how things operate and hope to pick up some pointers at Field Day.

Yes, it is largely a public information event. Stop by your local one and they will show you different stuff and typically have stations set up for newbies to get on the air

Yes, it is largely a public information event. Stop by your local one and they will show you different stuff and typically have stations set up for newbies to get on the air

THIS...most clubs will have a GOTA station (GOTA = Get On The Air). It is usually legal for non-hams to talk on the radio as long as a licensed ham is present. I say usually because there are locations where 3rd party traffic isn't allowed, but that is a small list.

I belong to CMARA. That is the club that runs the Paxton repeater. That is probably the repeater with the biggest singly coverage area in the state. We have people hitting that box from the cap up to southern Maine and almost out to Springfield. The problem with the club is that we hold our Field Day on private property and due to insurance issues are not allowed to open up to the public. For veteran hams, we are a 6a club during Field Day. Still fun to meet ans socialize, but not as fun as a truly open Field Day.

That is one first class website and I really like the mission statements for the club. Too bad that it is an hour away from me. Every club in my area has poor websites and is focused strictly on EMA from what I read on their sites.

The Nashua club is doing a lot.
I personally cannot keep up with everything they have going on and things they have planned for the future.

I recently did a 7-week morse code class with them.

Here's some more interesting information = on their field day plans:

https://www.n1fd.org/2017/06/15/field-day-test-stations-network-and-logging-computers/

Last edited:
If anyone is interested in going to the Nashua Club Field Day:

Nashua Area Radio Club at our Field Day event, to be held on June 24 and 25 at
Hollis Brookline High School, 24 Cavalier Court, Hollis, NH

• A Satellite Station
  • A VHF Station on 6 meters
  • A Hidden Transmitter or Fox Hunt
  • 3 SSB stations, 3 CW Stations and 1 digital station
  • 3 towers with Tri Band Yagi antennas and inverted V dipoles for 40m and 80m
  • A 3 element V-Beam antenna on 40 meters
  • An emergency go-kit with a Kenwood TS-710GA radio which can be used for repeater contacts, and EMComm with a tactical APRS display.

Well, I'm having to do field day at home this year. Ride home flaked on me, so I'm going 1D (or possibly 1E if I can get my solar panel up and running) this year!

Well, I'm having to do field day at home this year. Ride home flaked on me, so I'm going 1D (or possibly 1E if I can get my solar panel up and running) this year!

I'm probably going to have questions on solar panel setups pretty soon. Do you have any good materials to read or sites to visit?

I'm probably going to have questions on solar panel setups pretty soon. Do you have any good materials to read or sites to visit?

Not really as I am basically where you are. I found a 100W panel on Amazon and using the supplied charge controller. The issue that was brought up that I hadn't considered was what do you do with the excess energy that is created when your batter is done charging. If it has nowhere to go, it turns into heat. That heat has to be dissipated somehow. That also explains why the charge controller has a heat sensor jack. So, I'm still learning as well.

May want to start a new thread on "All things solar" here and we can start asking questions and hopefully get some good answers.

Back
Top Bottom