Fighter planes over Metrowest

The timing over my house matched right up with the 1PM game start time.

I do have a problem with this. Thousands in taxpayer dollars are being spent to augment an entertainment performance being put on not for the public good, but to make money for those selling the entertainment. Why should I pay to subsidize this activity?
No to mention jeopardizing the safety of thousands of people. One of these from the 104th went down in the woods of Pennsylvania a while back. One also took out a car on the pike (I think) in the 60's or 70's. These planes have no business stationed/operating near populated areas. Nobody needs a military style flyover.

No to mention jeopardizing the safety of thousands of people. One of these from the 104th went down in the woods of Pennsylvania a while back. One also took out a car on the pike (I think) in the 60's or 70's. These planes have no business stationed/operating near populated areas. Nobody needs a military style flyover.

Guessing /sarc?

How many auto accidents since 1960?

I love seeing any military planes fly over. I went to the Westfield air show in 2017. It was awesome! The WW2 simulated bombing runs were cool and the T33 was beautiful to watch as was the A10. But when the F18 went over at speed it was amazing. You could see the pressure waves building up on the wings.

I hope you’re joking. “Nobody needs these weapons of war on the streets.” (or in the air now from our own military??) Jesus. How about the probably 1M civilian birds that cross the worlds cities every day?

Am I seriously reading this on a gun/pro 2a forum?

"Nobody needs a" should always be followed by "nother law"

Kind of crazy how people get riled up over this. Pilots need seat time. Ever been to the Outer Banks? There is not 10 minutes that passes without a couple of jets flying over. Ever day, all day. One night three Blackhawks flew over super low...no lights on. We could hear them, but couldn't see them until they came over the dune and over our heads, very cool! They were low enough where my flashlight could light them up, they probably wouldn't appreciate that.

"Nobody needs a" should always be followed by "nother law"

Kind of crazy how people get riled up over this. Pilots need seat time. Ever been to the Outer Banks? There is not 10 minutes that passes without a couple of jets flying over. Ever day, all day. One night three Blackhawks flew over super low...no lights on. We could hear them, but couldn't see them until they came over the dune and over our heads, very cool! They were low enough where my flashlight could light them up, they probably wouldn't appreciate that.

Agreed, it's not just the pilots but the ground guys too who spend the time for alert weekends and practice to get things right so things don't go wrong.

People think that by just "flying" they are performing some sort of air-to-air combat maneuvers and don't realize there are special designated areas for that...not near lots of civilians.

Barnes had A-10's for many years but switched to F-15's a few years ago. The AF has been trying to retire the A-10 for years but every time they do a funny thing happens like war and we have no replacement for a flying tank that can loiter around a battlefield for hours reining terror on the enemy. Remember, the F-15s from Barnes cover the Northeast all they way down to McGuire AFB next to FT.Dix in NJ.

Guessing /sarc?

How many auto accidents since 1960?
Nope. Not sarcasm. What's the benefit for a flyover? So people can say "Ooo Ah?"

Saying it's training doesn't sway me. Training over populated areas is negligence.

I realize the probability is low but the consequences are high. How many initially killed and then how many killed in the stampede to get out of the stadium? What would these do to a neighborhood if one went down going to/from the flyover?

What speed do they fly 4-500 mph?

Empty weight: 28,000 lb (12,700 kg)
Fuel capacity: 13,455 lb (6,100 kg) internal

Nope. Not sarcasm. What's the benefit for a flyover? So people can say "Ooo Ah?"

Saying it's training doesn't sway me. Training over populated areas is negligence.

I realize the probability is low but the consequences are high. How many initially killed and then how many killed in the stampede to get out of the stadium? What would these do to a neighborhood if one went down going to/from the flyover?

A) You obviously don’t understand a thing about military training or the need for it.

B) You sound exactly like the liberals that say the same things about the 2A.

Where exactly would you propose airplanes train in the greater Northeastern United States if they cannot fly "over populated areas?"

Ball gag too tight? Or is it a heavy flow day?
Now who's the liberal? Aren't they the ones who call people names instead of providing an argument that supports their position?

And I do understand the need for military training. I just don't understand the need for it to occur over people. Why here and not some desolate training range? I haven't seen anyone provide a valid argument.

Now who's the liberal? Aren't they the ones who call people names instead of providing an argument that supports their position?

And I do understand the need for military training. I just don't understand the need for it to occur over people. Why here and not some desolate training range? I haven't seen anyone provide a valid argument.
Because it isn't a safety concern.

Clearly you do not understand military training requirements. Maybe you understand that they ‘need’ to train, but not the hows or whys of it.

They train in all environments and all types of weather day and night because when or if the need arises they are already prepared and trained for operational success and air superiority in our skies, over cities, over mountains. seas or deserts. Winds are different, temperatures are different, lift and yaw is different, thickness of the air is different, weapons systems and chafe will need to be used differently and aircraft simply handles differently in different environments. If we lost air superiority in our own skies we’d be done pretty quickly.

This is the same for the Navy, Marines, Army, Air Force, Airborne troops, Coast Guard, you name it, all services, always training for any situation in any environment on earth imaginable.

It would be just plain wrong (not to mention negligent) on so many levels to expect our services to be the best in the world yet tell them they can’t train over our heads to prepare themselves for the worst because our lives are more important than theirs, while asking them to give theirs, for us.

Last edited:

Can you point us to a desolate range, several hundred miles in any given direction, so that fighter planes traveling in excess of Mach's number will have room enough to fly for more than a couple minutes before being forced to effectively double back?

Are you equally concerned about the commercial airlines that are flying solely between the most densely populated areas in the world?

Planes fly constantly over populated areas.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d9r3H4iHFZk

I can’t believe how irresponsible it is to put all these major airports in such populated areas!

And where would you find these desolate training ranges in the northeast?

Because you’re manufacturing an issue in the same way the antis manufacture ‘silencers’, bump stocks, standard mags, and collapsible stocks as issues. They’re not. Military pilots are statistically less likely to have an accident outside of a combat zone than any civilian pilot - a mature or pro.

And I do understand the need for guns. I just don't understand the need to have them around people. Why here and not some desolate training range? I haven't seen anyone provide a valid argument.

Then every Driver's Ed vehicle is also negligence. Except these pilots are not exactly "learning" to fly. They're honing skills needed to keep YOU safe.

Jesus, I was really hoping it was sarcasm. Maybe we should ban guns for everyone that doesn't have a carefully articulated reason he can express to a judge because otherwise, it would be negligent....

always training for any situation in any environment on earth imaginable.
I remember the captain of a US aircraft carrier being asked about the rescue his crew did of a girl with appendicitis on a cruise ship. They choppered her off and surged her on the ship. The captain's response was something like "we train for every contingency - this was easy".

Last edited:
I remember the captain of a US aircraft carrier being asked about the rescue his crew did of a girl with appendicitis on a cruise carrier. They choppered her off and surged her on the ship. The captain's response was something like "we train for every contingency - this was easy".

Dear Lord did they at any time fly over populated areas?! What about the children?! Oh the humanity [crying]

Wow, are you new around here? I remember F-111's flying from Pease, I lived at Westover ARB for 2 years and C-5's fly their approach over Belchertown. The F-111's used to fly Nap of the earth thru the White Mountains for training runs.

Back
Top Bottom