finally got it.....But one question

GDG

It was a long process that began in September 2008. I first went into the Dracut police station in September put my name and number on a sheet of paper and was told someone will call you. So I waited......12 weeks later I got a voicemail on my cell phone saying your appointment is on December 9th at 1:30. The Leiutent, who seemed like a good guy, said that in the town of Dracut they only give out a license for targets and hunting for first time applicants. He noticed that I had my own business and said he might be able to do something for me if I got a letter from the business. So I did. He said no gaurentees but I should here back in about 3-4 weeks....so almost 8 weeks later I got the call and today I picked up my Class A Large Capacity LTC......

I have one question though, on the license it says "Restrictions: Employment"

What does that restrict me to?

I would of asked when I was at the PD today but I was afraid they would take it back. Joking. I didnt notice until I got home.

It was a long process that began in September 2008. I first went into the Dracut police station in September put my name and number on a sheet of paper and was told someone will call you. So I waited......12 weeks later I got a voicemail on my cell phone saying your appointment is on December 9th at 1:30. The Leiutent, who seemed like a good guy, said that in the town of Dracut they only give out a license for targets and hunting for first time applicants. He noticed that I had my own business and said he might be able to do something for me if I got a letter from the business. So I did. He said no gaurentees but I should here back in about 3-4 weeks....so almost 8 weeks later I got the call and today I picked up my Class A Large Capacity LTC......

I have one question though, on the license it says "Restrictions: Employment"

What does that restrict me to?

I would of asked when I was at the PD today but I was afraid they would take it back. Joking. I didnt notice until I got home.

only your licensing officer can give you the exact definition of your restriction. The definitions are not set in stone so they can change from town to town. I would venture that you can only CCW while you are considered on the clock, but again, double check. Hell, make the argument that Employment is a vague restriction and you feel "restrictions:none" is a better alternative for everybody...

If you own your own business (not knowing what business it is) is it possible that you're always on call? Or do you always drive a business vehicle?
It's my understanding (though IANAL) that employment is supposed to be used only while you're working, just as target and hunting should only CCW when en route to hunting or target shooting.

If you own your own business (not knowing what business it is) is it possible that you're always on call? Or do you always drive a business vehicle?
It's my understanding (though IANAL) that employment is supposed to be used only while you're working, just as target and hunting should only CCW when en route to hunting or target shooting.

the part I made bold is not true unless that is specifically what your licensing officer tells you when you ask them! You need to be careful with that kind of generalization with a restriction, as it varies by town.

My business is installing home theaters. It could be argued that when you work for yourself you are always working. So that type of restriction seems to be a matter of interpretation. So maybe the best thing is for me to call the issuing officer and ask?

My business is installing home theaters. It could be argued that when you work for yourself you are always working. So that type of restriction seems to be a matter of interpretation. So maybe the best thing is for me to call the issuing officer and ask?

yes, call the licensing officer before you CCW at all. You dont know his/her interpretation of the restriction.

the licensing officer/COP probably wouldn't have put the employment restriction on if they wanted you carrying whenever. I think by asking you are setting yourself up to be told not to do that. IMO

while that is certainly true, given the OPs profession, I can see a few different ways a COP could define his employment restriction. Plus, has it ever hurt to have more info than not enough when it comes to making sure you follow the letter of the law? nope.

I would also call and ask. I just went for my appointment to apply and was told I would get sporting/hunting. I then asked since this is different from town to town what does it mean. He told me I could CCW from my home to the range or sporting event. Also CCW if I was hiking or camping because of wild animals. (lol but I wont be allowed to protect my self and family from the human animals of New Bedford and surrounding) IDIOTS I should get this in writing like post above had mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom