Finally I found a Luger

50 BMG

Mosin Nagant Collector
NES Life Member
After years of searching I finally found a Luger that was in nice shape and was not going to break the bank. It has a matching magazine however it is broken and I am not going to repair it or ever use it. It did come with another magazine correct for the period of the pistol and another new production.
It appears to me matching except for two parts which is a barrel number and the release. Barrel 765, release 765. There is also a very faint marking on the top of the barrel which I hope you can make out in the pictures. All the other parts are matching 5807/07.

I am new to Luger's so if folks could help me determine what year it was made etc that would be very helpful.

Attachments

• DSCN0519.jpg
    DSCN0519.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN0522.jpg
    DSCN0522.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 156
  • DSCN0523.jpg
    DSCN0523.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0524.jpg
    DSCN0524.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0525.jpg
    DSCN0525.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 151
  • DSCN0526.jpg
    DSCN0526.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 146
  • DSCN0528.jpg
    DSCN0528.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN0529.jpg
    DSCN0529.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSCN0532.jpg
    DSCN0532.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSCN0530.jpg
    DSCN0530.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
One more of the Luger

Part numbered the same as barrel
The small part in the upper left is also marked with the same number, I could not get the angle of the camera to show it.

Matching grips

Attachments

• DSCN0540.jpg
    DSCN0540.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 81
  • Lugergrip.jpg
    Lugergrip.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Luger grip2.jpg
    Luger grip2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Nice find. Looks like a beauty and well cared for.

Try here for possible info from the Luger experts.

http://luger.gunboards.com/forum.php

http://www.lugerforum.com/

Thanks Len for the info. I also emailed our friend from across the pond to help me out on this.

UPDATE, I just went to the two sites Len was nice enough to forward me, now I am simply overwhelmed. There are so many changes, types, markings etc. it is going to take me a life time to get the history of this pistol. I think, bad sign, that it maybe a police rework of some kind given the markings on the barrel and the other two parts. But then again I am probably way off.

Last edited:
I am new to Luger's so if folks could help me determine what year it was made etc that would be very helpful.

On receiver; 1911 DWM - Deutschen Waffen-und-Munitionen Fabriken. Very nice pre-war Imperial proofed piece.

Welcome to the club! Light loads for the baby - WWB recommended.

T

I have been thinking about my next collecting vertical for some time now. Whenever I explore the Luger avenue, I get scared straight with the sheer number of models and variations. I will eventually dip my toe into the Luger world, and hopefully I can find an example as nice as yours Fred.

Thanks Len for the info. I also emailed our friend from across the pond to help me out on this.

UPDATE, I just went to the two sites Len was nice enough to forward me, now I am simply overwhelmed. There are so many changes, types, markings etc. it is going to take me a life time to get the history of this pistol. I think, bad sign, that it maybe a police rework of some kind given the markings on the barrel and the other two parts. But then again I am probably way off.

I have been thinking about my next collecting vertical for some time now. Whenever I explore the Luger avenue, I get scared straight with the sheer number of models and variations. I will eventually dip my toe into the Luger world, and hopefully I can find an example as nice as yours Fred.

Problem is that most that I've seen over the last 10 years are re-blued even though the owners will swear up and down that they are original finish. I have a WWII model that my Father liberated from a German Army Major at the end of the war so I know what the WWII finish is supposed to look like. They didn't polish the war versions of this gun.

Fred's is a beautiful example of pre-war, where they had the luxury of polishing those guns to just look beautiful!

Congrats,it's a very nice looking Luger.From the looks of the lines,finish,and the crisp marking I doubt this pistol saw very much use.

Last edited:
Barrel is a replacement, unmatched. Bluing over pitting on the frame, left side. Undoubted rearsenal/rework, and difficult to tell when.

It is certainly a 1911 DWM. Probably not a police issue, as it does not have the double date. No visible import marks, which is a good thing. Grips are exceptional for the age. Matching to the frame?

Be careful on removal of grips, Fred, if you choose to do so. Don't want the "million dollar chip" near the mag release. A little leverage from inside the mag well, and I mean a "little", will pop the grip off.

Really nice looker, big congrats!

Last edited:
Barrel is a replacement, unmatched. Bluing over pitting on the frame, left side. Undoubted rearsenal/rework, and difficult to tell when.

It is certainly a 1911 DWM. Probably not a police issue, as it does not have the double date. No visible import marks, which is a good thing. Grips are exceptional for the age. Matching to the frame?

Be careful on removal of grips, Fred, if you choose to do so. Don't want the "million dollar chip" near the mag release. A little leverage from inside the mag well, and I mean a "little", will pop the grip off.

I did take the grips off, I will post pics they are matching to the gun. First thing I did was put some tung oil on them.

I will have to show you the piece in person. The finish except for the barrel is all the same. I did polish it up a bit but from what I was told by a Luger collector at the Wilmington show the piece was not re-blued but the barrel was replaced. he did point out that the two small pieces marked the same as the barrel means it was not a piece that was put together in the states but was done in Germany. He was very interested in the small mark on the barrel. He didn't have a magnifying glass and I had a hard enough time getting it out of his hands.

Now for the real nice ending to the story, I paid $800. All good things come to those who wait !!!!!

I am just so happy to have finally found one. I will never shoot it for fear of something breaking.

Last edited:
Very nice, Fred. Definitely worth waiting for. Can't wait to see what Juergen has to say about it!

I am waiting too. He will be able to tell me the name of the guy who assembled it no doubt. I am a terrible photographer so its not a great representation of the finish. The small area with light pitting is the same color as the rest of the frame etc. Even the barrel is close but with the numbers not matching it was changed out at some point. Its the two other small parts also marked the same as the barrel that I hope Juergen can shed some info on. Also the date it was manufactured.

As much as I love my 1917 Erfurt, I am much more comfortable shooting my 2/44 Spreewerke P38.

T.

T
I love my P-38's as well. great firearms but I always wanted a Luger. I shoot my P-38's a great deal and even my post war P-38 marked ( not marked P-1 ) example is nice too. Heck I love all my milsurp pistols.

Indeed, a very nice one! Certainly a 1911 DWM manufacture.
The marking on top of the barrel may have been struck as a proof mark after rebarreling.
A missing import mark points towards "liberation" at some time. I also go with the "re-
worked in Germany at some time" comment; barrel, lever and sideplate taken from the
same donor gun.

Heed Martin's advice re grip panel removal.

A Police issue would likely have an additional safety, the so-called "Schiwy-Sicherung"; a
double date would rather indicate that the gun was in Reichswehr service after WW I.

Take good care of her and feed her with a light diet.
Just shoot her, but swap the matching firing pin and extractor for spares before doing so.
Unfortunately, Uncle Sam has an issue with 4" Lugers in combination with an Artillery or
Navy type shoulder stock. Shooting them with a stock shows their tack driving abilities.
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Indeed, a very nice one! Certainly a 1911 DWM manufacture.
The marking on top of the barrel may have been struck as a proof mark after rebarreling.
A missing import mark points towards "liberation" at some time. I also go with the "re-
worked in Germany at some time" comment; barrel, lever and sideplate taken from the
same donor gun.

Heed Martin's advice re grip panel removal.

A Police issue would likely have an additional safety, the so-called "Schiwy-Sicherung"; a
double date would rather indicate that the gun was in Reichswehr service after WW I.

Take good care of her and feed her with a light diet.
Just shoot her, but swap the matching firing pin and extractor for spares before doing so.
Unfortunately, Uncle Sam has an issue with 4" Lugers in combination with an Artillery or
Navy type shoulder stock. Shooting them with a stock shows their tack driving abilities.
Enjoy!
Thank you sir,when do you think it was manufactured. Non of my military firearms books have 1911 just 1908.

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't posted here much, but its good to see 50bmg get the Luger he was looking for. Can't pass that up for $800! Nice score Fred!

Hello my friend we have missed you. Have you sold your Mosins you posted. If not PM me I think I can help.

The model is P08 (1908), but it was manufactured in 1911.

No telling when the re-barrel was done, but I agree, it gives the appearance of a German arsenal job. Frame was re-blued at the same time, as evidenced by the same finish inside the dings and pitting.

I agree with Juergen that it was "liberated", either WWI or WWII. It's a great starter piece to a Luger collection, and at a very fair price. Maybe not a high end matching collectible, as some can be seen trading well above the $3000 price point. But it's far more than just a shooter. A real looker.

Nice job Fred! I would have no problem shooting it if it were mine, but like Juergen said, it would be a good idea to swap out the extractor and FP with replacements so you don't risk breaking original numbered parts.

The model is P08 (1908), but it was manufactured in 1911.

This!
The Pistole 08 or P.08 was introduced into service by a Cabinet order in August of 1908.
The first order went to DWM only in December of 1908 and serial production took off
in January/February of 1909.

I have one out of the first contract (4xxx a), so she's within the first 15,000 made.
Those pistols were made to DWM's (civilian) standards, showing serials and proofs
in places like those for the private market, up until the Imperial forces' regulation on
markings came into place. Mine does not show the year of manufacture on the chamber
for this reason. However, she's got a nice unit mark "5th Compagnie, 98th Infantry Regi-
ment, weapon no. 1". Likely the First Sergeants', as officers had to buy their own.
She's not in the nicest condition, but all matching including the mag (whose bottom has
a chip but is still fully functional). She came from an estate packed into a 1942 military
holster, so she's likely been here and there and seen it.

Back
Top Bottom