Fingerprints for a renewal??! WTF???

I have various non res CCW. My FL non res CCW is coming up for renewal. Once you have already done the states dog n pony jump through hoops stuff, renewal usually = send them some $$$. FL wants a new head shot (OK, people do look different after 5-7 years...) and they want new fingerprints! WTF? Finger prints don't change with age, so why bust my chops over that? It means I have to go down the local PD and get them redone for no reason at all, and that pisses me off. FL is considered a gun friendly state, so that type of petty time consuming worthless stuff is not what I would expect from them. Anyone recently had an FL non res CCW up for renewal and noticed this? Like I have a morning to throw in the toilet getting finger print cards done again. If they need more money, simply increase the renewal fee (there's an additional $42 "fingerprint processing fee") which would be annoying but at least not a big waste of time.

I don't know if it's related, but a few years ago there was a problem with FL erroneously issuing CCW permits to convicted felons, domestic abusers and other prohibited persons. The numbers were rather small when compared to the total number of permits issued, but there's a saying that all it takes is a few bad apples to f**k things up for everyone else.

I don't know if it's related, but a few years ago there was a problem with FL erroneously issuing CCW permits to convicted felons, domestic abusers and other prohibited persons. The numbers were rather small when compared to the total number of permits issued, but there's a saying that all it takes is a few bad apples to f**k things up for everyone else.

Maybe that's the issue. None of the other non res CCW I have ask for such a thing for renewals, and here in the peoples republic of ma, it's a PITA to go down and get fingerprints done again.

And harder to find places that have not gone completely to digital finger print capture.
The digital systems can print out a standard ten print card - been there, done that.

FL wants a new head shot (OK, people do look different after 5-7 years...) and they want new fingerprints! WTF? Finger prints don't change with age, so why bust my chops over that? It means I have to go down the local PD and get them redone for no reason at all, and that pisses me off. FL is considered a gun friendly state, so that type of petty time consuming worthless stuff is not what I would expect from them. Anyone recently had an FL non res CCW up for renewal and noticed this? Like I have a morning to throw in the toilet getting finger print cards done again. If they need more money, simply increase the renewal fee (there's an additional $42 "fingerprint processing fee") which would be annoying but at least not a big waste of time.

Yes, at my last renewal I questioned this and actually called FL up to ask about it. They do NOT keep our prints on file for NR permits (only for Resident permits) and thus need a new set to do the background check.

The digital systems can print out a standard ten print card - been there, done that.

FL (just like MA) uses it's own form and won't accept the standard FBI 10 print form. [thinking]

Here's what I don't know . . .

FL went to an electronic system for prints done at local Sheriff's offices for residents.

I don't know if they will do NR prints and if so, do they get electronically stored so that we need not bother doing them on each renewal. If I ever get down to FL again, I might ask in advance.

It is my understanding that there is no way that a set of MA electronic prints can be sent to FL to meet this requirement. No idea if it is a technology, security, or stubbornness issue.

Please tell me if I am wrong! I was told that Fl recognizes MA LTC, and you don't need a non-res permit.

I believe you are wrong. Further, the point of getting an FL CCW is because of the large number of reciprocity states it covers.... getting FL is just one of many, really.

-Mike

Please tell me if I am wrong! I was told that Fl recognizes MA LTC, and you don't need a non-res permit.

Totally negative. FL recognizes many states, but they have a rule that the state's licenses they would honor must honor FL's licenses. And since MA does not honor any out-of-state permits, FL won't recognize it.

I see! I thought there were roughly 13 states that recognized MA LTC. Or so I was told

[rofl]

There might be like two or three at the most, not counting VT and AK which are no permit to begin with. Most places don't accept MA's permit because MA will not accept theirs.

-Mike

I have various non res CCW. My FL non res CCW is coming up for renewal. Once you have already done the states dog n pony jump through hoops stuff, renewal usually = send them some $$$. FL wants a new head shot (OK, people do look different after 5-7 years...) and they want new fingerprints! WTF? Finger prints don't change with age, so why bust my chops over that? It means I have to go down the local PD and get them redone for no reason at all, and that pisses me off. FL is considered a gun friendly state, so that type of petty time consuming worthless stuff is not what I would expect from them. Anyone recently had an FL non res CCW up for renewal and noticed this? Like I have a morning to throw in the toilet getting finger print cards done again. If they need more money, simply increase the renewal fee (there's an additional $42 "fingerprint processing fee") which would be annoying but at least not a big waste of time.

If you dont like their process dont apply. Its their permit to issue. They dont keep the cards on file, and dont want to give their permits to felons. So it really isnt petty time consuming worthless. It is their standards.

Originally Posted by andypieces
I see! I thought there were roughly 13 states that recognized MA LTC. Or so I was told
Yes there WERE 13 States a Mass resident could carry in, but I believe that ended in 1776.[smile][wink]

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and presume he was making a very clever wisecrack that went over everybody's heads! [grin]

Back
Top Bottom