Firarms transfer question

Greetings, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Fantastic site here!

Hopefully one of you knows the answer to this or can point me in the right direction. A friend of mine let his LTC lapse and now wants to sell his pistols to me. His guns have been locked up in a licensed friends safe since the lapse. My question is, how do we transfer ownership? Can we use a FA-10 or do we have to go through a dealer?

Thanks,

-chris

Greetings, I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. Fantastic site here!

Hopefully one of you knows the answer to this or can point me in the right direction. A friend of mine let his LTC lapse and now wants to sell his pistols to me. His guns have been locked up in a licensed friends safe since the lapse. My question is, how do we transfer ownership? Can we use a FA-10 or do we have to go through a dealer?
This is a legal question, and I assume you are a MA resident. So this really should be posted in the MA laws section.

Presuming you have an LTC, the transfers must be done through a MA FFL. Make sure, however that the dealer can actually transfer the guns to you. If he has some handguns which are not on the Approved Firearms Roster then the dealer can't transfer them to you unless he can prove their were in state prior to a particular date (Oct. ? 1998?).

Hi, yes, I'm a MA resident with a current valid LTC. I'll call my local dealer tomorrow and ask about the transfer, I was hoping to be able to use FA-10's and just put in his expired LTC number.

Thanks for the help!

-chris

Hi, yes, I'm a MA resident with a current valid LTC. I'll call my local dealer tomorrow and ask about the transfer, I was hoping to be able to use FA-10's and just put in his expired LTC number.

Thanks for the help!

-chris

Yeah, no that wont work (using an expired LTC number). Think of it this way, just because he has a permit in his hand does not mean he has "has a permit". It needs to be valid for it to be used for anything.

If the guns can't be transferred via an FFL and he's not disqualified from an LTC for some reason, you could pay him an additional $100 for him to renew. It would make you wait a bit to buy them, but would evenutally happen.

Depending on:
a) how bad you want the guns
-or-
b) the fee the FFL will charge per transfer and number of guns you're buying (such as 4 guns at $40 per transfer = $160)

The $100 might be worth it, since it would re-open the FA-10 route.
If you're buying more than 4 guns from him, you'll end up at an FFL anyways unless you spread them between this year and next. Those first 4 would still be FFL-tranfer fee free though.

Back
Top Bottom