Firing .380 in a 9mm autoloader- Oops!

Did you know these things operate by explosions which happen when you pull the trigger? I take this stuff seriously, and double/triple/quadruple check my sources. I'd have asked the gun shop owner before anyone, but even then you never know. Glad you were not hurt. Hope your gun is OK. Don't try this with any Eastern European calibers which might be close (BUT ARE NOT) which loosely rhymes with smirnikov. Those have different sized bullets, and could spell disaster. Maybe your brother meant something about revolver ammunition (see post above about 38 and 357, also 44spl/44mag). I would NOT use him as a source of information going forward, though to his credit, you did say he was "freaked out", which means maybe he does know and you either heard wrong or remembered wrong or something else. Good luck, and use the proper ammunition from here on out. (It is stamped on the gun for people who don't know better.)

Oh, and next time, ask first!

Last edited:
Just to make sure it gets through, "only shoot what is listed on the gun". If for no other reason then just b/c the bullet is the same dia. does not mean the pressure is the same.

But if you get bored try a 10mm in a .40 S&W, after all the .40 is just a shorter 10mm. Just kidding don't do that, really don't do that.

Just to make sure it gets through, "only shoot what is listed on the gun". If for no other reason then just b/c the bullet is the same dia. does not mean the pressure is the same.

But if you get bored try a 10mm in a .40 S&W, after all the .40 is just a shorter 10mm. Just kidding don't do that, really don't do that.

Hey, there's always putting a .45 acp through a .45 GAP, or .357 mag through a .357 Sig, etc, etc, etc, ad nausea. [wink]

Well, either the source of that Blinding Insight is TSTL or you misunderstood him when he suggested shooting .38 Special out of a .357 Magnum.

Yo! I already knew about that! I just thought someone had told me it was the same with 9mm/.380.

In response to TonyD- I HAVE been overloaded with facts already! I think that's the source of this problem- too much time spent reading message boards and websites, not enough time spent posting.

And for Mr. Pacman- My local range is a joke. I've only seen people shooting there one time. But at 4:00 when the bar opens there's a line of cars that show up out of nowhere!

Don't try the .357 sig in the .40 either. That will cause something called a kB.

Do not use any ammunition for which your firearm is not specifically designed for. There are exceptions (.38 special in a .357 mag, barrel/conversion kits, etc) but as a newer shooter you need to be extra cautious in order to not win a Darwin Award.

Backwards
. 10mm won't fit in a .40; however, the .40 would work in a 10 mm if the extractor held the case to the breech. Same is true of .45 in a .45 GAP - backwards; however, the opposite might well work for the same reason.

Hey Rusty,

Being "new" myself to guns (only started about 4 or so years ago) you have to really think through every step and decision you make. As others have already stated including your brother you must be concerned for safety at all times..not only for yourself but the guy next to you or the next person to fire your gun. Never make assumptions as it could end up costing you $$, hurting yourself, or worse case hurting someone else.

Get more involved at your gun club or range. Seek out members, people with the knowledge and learn even by watching and example. This forum is a great place to start as the members are helpful. I wish you the best in your future endeavors and please remember Safety is key when learning.

Another new shooter here –

Besides the two "nope, yup" posts on the first page, I think Dirtypacman's post is probably the best advice you'll find on this thread. While I'm as inquisitive as the next guy (my motto is, “it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission) the nature of the toys we play with is one that doesn't fare well with a "well let's try it and find out” attitude. Even if the gun doesn’t to blow up in your hands, the slightest damage to a firearm can render it inaccurate or unreliable, which, needless to say, is not a good thing.

As a new shooter, I always check with at least a couple sources before I try something new. Your brother sounds like a good place to start. Wikipedia can also be a good, easy to use source of info, but it’s not the bible. I like to use the guys (and gals) on this site – they’re a wealth of knowledge and some of the nicest, most generous people you’ll meet. In fact, if you search my posts you’ll find many dumb beginner questions. Sure, you’ll get burnt every now and then by a couple of the hotheads on the forum – try not to let them get to you. But you’ll figure out who the good guys are, and they provide some great advice. Hell, become a member and you’ll even get to go out shooting with us every now and then – then you’ll really learn a thing or two. But for God’s sake, if you get any more ideas, ASK FIRST. The last thing we need is another Darwin Award Winner making the rest of us respectable gun nuts look bad.

Don't try the .357 sig in the .40 either. That will cause something called a kB.

I know of .357Sig and 9mm rounds getting shot in .40s and the results were tumbling bullets and no damage. They weren't Glocks though, that may say something.

A piece of .380 brass went through my machine the other day. 8.3gr of HS6 went in there with a 125jhp on top, that probably would have been a kaboom had it been shot.

Backwards
. 10mm won't fit in a .40; however, the .40 would work in a 10 mm if the extractor held the case to the breech. Same is true of .45 in a .45 GAP - backwards; however, the opposite might well work for the same reason.

Man you don't let anybody have fun.[wink]

But seriously Rusty Barrel don’t take anything here personally, there are some “hotheads” but most people are just joking around and having a little fun with you. Just don’t do it again and like others have said “ask first”. I also have asked some rudimentary questions and have been corrected (as I should be) on things I have said that were inaccurate.

Also a little advice if you plan on contributing to this forum, try not to debate Scurvy I mean Scrivener he is usually right from what I have seen, just look up.[grin]

I loaded a .40 S&W into my Colt Defender years ago, (4th round down). By some strange circumstance, it went off. Bang, bang, bang, pffft.... I tilted the gun forward to draw back the slide thinking I had a squib and the empty casing slid out of the barrel....Always check your range bag, always check your range bag, always check your range bag..... [wink]

Also a little advice if you plan on contributing to this forum, try not to debate Scurvy I mean Scrivener he is usually right from what I have seen, just look up.[grin]

Or just ask him he'll be happy to tell you.[smile] [wink]

On a serious not if I have a question I usually check the GunTech dictionary first http://www.midwayusa.com/guntecdictionary.exe?utm_source=guntecdictionary&utm_medium=homepage430 then ask it in the form of a stupid question here, compare the results and then act accordingly. Don't let this get you down, almost all of us have made a stupid mistake at one time or another, the important thing is to learn from our mistakes and those of others so that we don't all end up statistics. Welcome to the sport, enjoy it and be safe.

Oh and one more thing, did I understand correctly that your firing range has a bar? Is this common? Sorry to sound surprise but my club doesn't even have a clubhouse.

Do not use any ammunition for which your firearm is not specifically designed for. There are exceptions (.38 special in a .357 mag, barrel/conversion kits, etc) but as a newer shooter you need to be extra cautious in order to not win a Darwin Award.

What he said ..............

i am sure this has already been said. but not to sound nasty myself here, but i myself have only had my LTC for 3 months. But i can still read what it says on the side of the gun. If you buy a new gun it clearly states in the instruction manual to only use the ammo your gun is chambered for. :):):)

no hard feelings i once thought about trying to shoot 7.62X39 out of a barrel chambered for 7.62X54R. but i am glad i didnt. :)

Do you guys think I have a problem that requires a gunsmith (as in, my bro was right) or do you think I just have a problem with common sense and I should just stick to the proper ammunition (as in, I'm just a goddam idiot)?
Nope. Well... I want to say yes on this one but don't want to be nasty - but you need to not do experimentation like that. It'll increase your life expectancy!

How the hell am I supposed to know the definitive source for handgun ammunition diameters?
Try a reloading manual. Try the owner's manual on that gun you just bought. If you didn't get the owner's manual, look it up online; most manufacturers will have all their manuals on their websites for free downloading. Or call them; they'll send it to you free.
whatever the barrel of your gun says...9x19...45...40

shoot ONLY what it says
+1,000,000 - that is EXCELLENT advice.
And for Mr. Pacman- My local range is a joke. I've only seen people shooting there one time. But at 4:00 when the bar opens there's a line of cars that show up out of nowhere!
A bar that opens at 4:00 PM at a range... Rusty, do you shoot at Riverside?
Don't let this get you down, almost all of us have made a stupid mistake at one time or another, the important thing is to learn from our mistakes and those of others so that we don't all end up statistics. Welcome to the sport, enjoy it and be safe.

Oh and one more thing, did I understand correctly that your firing range has a bar? Is this common? Sorry to sound surprise but my club doesn't even have a clubhouse.
More excellent advice. Many of us have been shooting for decades; don't be afraid to ask questions. (and ignore Scrivener when he barks at you; his advice is sound but like the Soup Nazi it comes with a bit of a bark (sorry, Keith - but you CAN be grumpy!)) Also, make use of the search function; lots of questions have been asked over the two years that this board has been in existance, and the answers are out there. Many of use use Google's advanced search and limit the search to the domain northeastshooters.com when we want to do a search; the search features of the forum software are primitive, to say the least.

Oh, and welcome to NortheastShooters!

I shoot in Spencer. I don't want to knock the people there, though- everyone has been very friendly! I also like the fact that it's in an out of the way spot yet still less than a mile and a half from my house.

Back
Top Bottom