First Handgun... these look good so far

One thing about the Ruger.

Normally for a first gun, I recommend the full sized variant of any gun.
This isn't so with the Ruger.

For some reason the SR9 has one of the worst striker fired triggers in existence.
And for some reason the SR9C has one of the BEST striker fired triggers in existence.

I don't know why. But it is.

Also, the C comes with an extended mag that gives you the same grip length as the full sized gun.

Don

p.s. I'm a member at Mass Rifle. I'd be happy to let you try some .22s, plus a G34, G17, SR9 and SR9c and a couple of high end 1911s if you like.
My SR9 has a ghost connector and about 2 hrs of fluff and buff time and the trigger is still inferior to the SR9C.

Welcome!
You are looking at some fine pistols. Congratulations on deciding to get an LTC.
Could you give me an idea of what you are looking to do with your first gun? Mainly range? Range and home defense? Carry and range more so? Perhaps a well rounded all three uses firearm?
9mm or 45 ACP thereafter. .40 is not an upgrade, wears the F/A faster and is a bit more recoil intensive.
So tell me what you envision your use of the F/A for
Brian
Zero Hour Arms

Mostly range, I am hoping for the ability to carry, but probably wont for the most part, I live in a nice community so I don't think I'll need it for home defense, however i am getting a quick access box, just in case. Nice communities are targets after all, my town does have it's share of junkies...

For some reason the SR9 has one of the worst striker fired triggers in existence.
And for some reason the SR9C has one of the BEST striker fired triggers in existence.

Also, the C comes with an extended mag that gives you the same grip length as the full sized gun.

Don

p.s. I'm a member at Mass Rifle. I'd be happy to let you try some .22s, plus a G34, G17, SR9 and SR9c and a couple of high end 1911s if you like.
My SR9 has a ghost connector and about 2 hrs of fluff and buff time and the trigger is still inferior to the SR9C.

I think the SR9 had the worst trigger. I believe the new ones are using the same trigger as the SR9c. But I agree, the SR9c is fantastic and the right mixture of big and small.

I don’t have any experience with the guns you’ve listed, but would also recommend the Kahr K9. Its a mid-sized gun that is concealable, fun to shoot, and accurate.

If your budget allows, you should also consider purchasing a decent .22LR pistol. It will be cheaper to shoot, so you’ll be able to shoot more, and the lack of recoil will help you to learn to shoot properly and work on accuracy. Ruger MKII or MKIII are two good options.

Post some pics after you decide.

Good luck.

I think the SR9 had the worst trigger. I believe the new ones are using the same trigger as the SR9c. But I agree, the SR9c is fantastic and the right mixture of big and small.

I had heard that also. I was hopeful. I got a chance to fondle a new one at Hoffman's about 2 months ago. I asked to try it specifically to see if it was improved. It wasn't.
Very strange.

I've been told that the geometry is actually different in the SR9C. I don't know if thats true.

don

- - - Updated - - -

I think I'm ready for the 9mm. :)

Its not a matter of being ready. Its about being able to practice more for 2 reasons.

1) if you are a fairly new handgun shooter, you wont want to shoot anything with any recoil too much at first, or you will develop bad habits like jerking the trigger and pushing in anticipation of recoil.
2) ammo costs less.

Unfortunately I had to sell my Sig 2022 and M&P fullsized 9, neither were 100% reliable, though the Sig was better. I can't even remember how many times my M&P went back to the factory. I thought for sure S&W would give me a new one but they didn't. They did however apologize for that POS.. IMHO Glock has nothing to worry about. Get a Glock and never look back.

Mostly range, I am hoping for the ability to carry, but probably wont for the most part, I live in a nice community so I don't think I'll need it for home defense, however i am getting a quick access box, just in case. Nice communities are targets after all, my town does have it's share of junkies...

and...bad guys travel! You make the judgement that best suits you however, I recommend to everyone to always carry when legally able to (yeah it's like a privilege here in MA instead of a right but hopefully that will change). I'd agree that your best bet seeing as how you would want the ability to carry would be Glock 19, HK P30, HK VP9, Walther P99, Sig P229 or S&W M&P 9. These pistols offer good size and comfort for range sessions as well as the ability to be concealed carried. I would personally recommend to you Glock, Walther or H&K. The only shortcomings of the Walther is parts support and I can't get the Surefire x300 to fit on it's rail. A quick access safe with the weaponslight attached is a good way of thinking. THe H&K cost a bit more but are tanks and tack drivers. The Glocks are like the AK of the pistol world. You should explore the firearms in the stores and ask questions. If possible shoot the guns that you have the most interest in.
Any help we can be of please reach out.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Brian
Zero Hour Arms

and...bad guys travel! You make the judgement that best suits you however, I recommend to everyone to always carry when legally able to (yeah it's like a privilege here in MA instead of a right but hopefully that will change). I'd agree that your best bet seeing as how you would want the ability to carry would be Glock 19, HK P30, HK VP9, Walther P99, Sig P229 or S&W M&P 9. These pistols offer good size and comfort for range sessions as well as the ability to be concealed carried. I would personally recommend to you Glock, Walther or H&K. The only shortcomings of the Walther is parts support and I can't get the Surefire x300 to fit on it's rail. A quick access safe with the weaponslight attached is a good way of thinking. THe H&K cost a bit more but are tanks and tack drivers. The Glocks are like the AK of the pistol world. You should explore the firearms in the stores and ask questions. If possible shoot the guns that you have the most interest in.
Any help we can be of please reach out.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Brian
Zero Hour Arms

The HK VP9 is one I'm favoring, but... I'm tempted to go "big" and get a Sig 226. That's a lot of money though... I've heard nothing bad about it so far. But it's $900 in some places.

Its not a matter of being ready. Its about being able to practice more for 2 reasons.

1) if you are a fairly new handgun shooter, you wont want to shoot anything with any recoil too much at first, or you will develop bad habits like jerking the trigger and pushing in anticipation of recoil.
2) ammo costs less.

I understand where your coming from... My budget wont allow for two guns at this point, and since I do intend to carry it on occasion, I've been told that a .22 is not a carry gun. So, 9mm seems like a good start. Also, I feel with practice, reaction to recoil will diminish.

Always appreciate the input...

- - - Updated - - -

Don

I actually just got a membership this morning to MFS. In a few weeks I'll be heading down there. I am also a member at Old Colony Sportsman's Association in Pembroke. Great group of guys, hoping to learn a lot from them,a nd try a lot of different shooting types.

Can go wrong with a sd9ve do the spring kit $20 and the gun new can be had for around $300, shooting supply has them for 339$, 4seasons $300 which ever is closer, other than that everyother place I've seen is 369-389$ not bad mouthing anyshop by all means this is a one gun situation. I carry my sw40 no problem iwb

The HK VP9 is one I'm favoring, but... I'm tempted to go "big" and get a Sig 226. That's a lot of money though... I've heard nothing bad about it so far. But it's $900 in some places.

Get a German-made Sig like mine (from 1996) - you can find mint ones for $700 and it's better made than the newer P226s. Unless you need a light rail, then I think you're screwed. :)

There's no reason to pay $900 for a regular P226 when there are tons of used ones for $650 or less. It's not that hard to find someone sick of carrying a school bus and pick one up at a good price.

Honestly though I'd just stick with the VP9. The only real plus with a P226 is the fact that you can get preban mags for it.

-Mike

There's no reason to pay $900 for a regular P226 when there are tons of used ones for $650 or less. It's not that hard to find someone sick of carrying a school bus and pick one up at a good price.

Honestly though I'd just stick with the VP9. The only real plus with a P226 is the fact that you can get preban mags for it.

-Mike

Good to know.

If the location of the slide stop lever is deterring you from Glocks, you could always use support side thumb to release slide. I run my guns that way, and don't give away a whole lot of speed because of it. Not trying to talk you into Glocks at all though. I'm an M&P Kool aide drinker. Haha

If the location of the slide stop lever is deterring you from Glocks, you could always use support side thumb to release slide. I run my guns that way, and don't give away a whole lot of speed because of it. Not trying to talk you into Glocks at all though. I'm an M&P Kool aide drinker. Haha

I actually had trouble locking the slide. I will most likely slingshot it, but a few guys here said there is an extension available, so a Glock is not out of the question. It's another one that I don't hear a lot of complaining about.

Additionally, I like the slingshot method, but I see a lot of IDPA people using the slide release as it appears to be faster. I imagine, in this situation and defense situation, support side thumb would be preferred. So I guess getting used to doing it one way is a good idea. Once I get comfortable, My club does IDPA so I might take the class.

I actually had trouble locking the slide. I will most likely slingshot it, but a few guys here said there is an extension available, so a Glock is not out of the question. It's another one that I don't hear a lot of complaining about.

Additionally, I like the slingshot method, but I see a lot of IDPA people using the slide release as it appears to be faster. I imagine, in this situation and defense situation, support side thumb would be preferred. So I guess getting used to doing it one way is a good idea. Once I get comfortable, My club does IDPA so I might take the class.

Locking the slide back? Or dropping it on a reload?

I you EVER intend to carry I would buy a sub-compact and invest your time and money into getting proficient with that one gun. I have owned (or at least shot) every gun mentioned in this thread, but if I had to pick one gun right now I'd be torn between a g26 or m&p shield. These are the perfect blend of size and function. The apex trigger kit is a must on the shield so assume an additional $100 for that and just have the shop install it right from the start. Good luck!

How much will you shoot?

- Compare ammo costs. 9MM is cheaper than .40, and much cheaper than .45

Do you want Da only, or SA/DA?

- Some folks like hammers, other like striker fired

Do you like all metal or polymer?

- It's a personal choice

Are you considering hi capacity pre ban magazines?

- This limits your choices

The best solution given in earlier posts is to do a "Try Buy" and shoot the guns first.

I was ready to buy a SIG 226 until I shoot it. Did not like the high barrel axis.

This above plus I would not rule out the SR9. It is comfortable and balanced. I've read a lot of great reviews on it and I've been told that Ruger has top notch customer service. I was going to buy one myself but opted for the Ruger LC9S. Great little carry gun.

Back
Top Bottom