First Handgun... these look good so far

Greetings NES... I am new to handguns. I am hoping to buy my first in the next few months depending on when my application clears and my licence is approved.

I have done a little research and read some reviews and these four seem to be good for me. I took my Basic Safety Course at Mass Firearms School in Holliston MA, (Awesome place, Awesome dudes). They use Glock pistols (not sure model) for safety demo. I wasn't happy with the slide lock location. My thumbs are kind of stubby and I fumbled with the slide lock. It was pretty awkward.

Anyway, I am going to go back to MFS since you can try them before you buy them. This is what I am looking at:

Sig Sauer P2022 9mm (slide removal might be a little more difficult)
H&K VP9 9mm
S&W M&P 9mm
H&K P2000 9mm

Originally I was looking at a Ruger SR9 but I heard some complaints about slides not cycling properly. I think the previous 4 are better options now that I've read into it a bit.

Anyway, They're all under $700.00 which is where I need to be. They all received good reviews , so far, and are available in 9mm, which I want to start with until I get more experience, then maybe upgrade to .40 opinions and insight will be appreciated...

If $700 is your range, you've mentioned some fine choices there. I'll let someone with experiece with them fill you in.
My first was a Ruger SR9C, and its been flawless. IMO, good option at a lower entry point. Not sure if the fullsize SR9 has a different rep.

If your concern with the slide lock on a glock is releasing the slide, there's an years long ongoing debate about using the slide release .vs. "slingshotting the slide". Google it.

Your plan to go to MFS, (or any range) is good, definitely "try before you buy".

Are you intending to carry this first gun. If not I would add the Beretta 92fs to your list. It is a great gun but a little big and heavy to carry. It is a pretty soft shooter and is very reliable and accurate

All good choices.

.40 is not an upgrade.

10 mm is an upgrade :)

I'd decide after you get your ltc back of you have restrictions or not. I think those are more full size, if you can carry them, then have at it. I've heard the vp9 had a sweet trigger. My first was the sr9c, nice trigger, carries nice, and it takes 17 round sr9 standard capacity mags, which unfortunately are too scary for you guys in mass, lol.
fyi, my sr9c had never had a cycling issue. 2000 rounds going strong.

An extended slide release for a Glock is pretty cheap and makes it much easier to hit with your thumb.

I've never shot the H&Ks but I've shot Sigs and an M&P9 with and without a trigger job.

I found the M&P to be rubbish w/o a trigger job and awesome with one; the trigger job made all the difference in the world. If I ever get a S&W M&P I'd get the trigger fixed before I even bother shooting it.

I haven't shot that model Sig but I bought a Sig P229 E2 a while back and the first time I took it to the range the consensus was that it felt like cheating. Rounds just went where they were supposed to go.

I'm not sure if any of those choices give you the option of buying preban mags if that's something you might want. It's a first gun, so if you want something higher capacity you can just buy another [smile].

Sweed just reminded me that Rugers should be on your list. I'm a big fan of them.

All good choices.

.40 is not an upgrade.

I meant upgrade an is move up to that caliber... I obviously would need to buy a new handgun. Do they make handguns (firearms in general) with changeable barrels?

- - - Updated - - -

If your concern with the slide lock on a glock is releasing the slide, there's an years long ongoing debate about using the slide release .vs. "slingshotting the slide". Google it.

Your plan to go to MFS, (or any range) is good, definitely "try before you buy".

I actually struggled with the slide locking, I do prefer the slingshot method. I'll leave the debate to the experts.
Thank you.

An extended slide release for a Glock is pretty cheap and makes it much easier to hit with your thumb.

That might be something to look into. I did like the feel of the Glock, just the thin lock cut into the end of my thumb. Plus Glocks reputation seems to virtually unquestioned.

I've never shot the H&Ks but I've shot Sigs and an M&P9 with and without a trigger job.

I found the M&P to be rubbish w/o a trigger job and awesome with one; the trigger job made all the difference in the world. If I ever get a S&W M&P I'd get the trigger fixed before I even bother shooting it.

I haven't shot that model Sig but I bought a Sig P229 E2 a while back and the first time I took it to the range the consensus was that it felt like cheating. Rounds just went where they were supposed to go.

I'm not sure if any of those choices give you the option of buying preban mags if that's something you might want. It's a first gun, so if you want something higher capacity you can just buy another [smile].

Sweed just reminded me that Rugers should be on your list. I'm a big fan of them.

The Ruger SR9 is the first thing I looked at. my Cousin in UT has the SR9 (I think) and he seems to like it. Reviews have been on and off. As far as I know the Sigs are a favorite for a lot of people and I 'm kind of leaning that way. and The 2022 is inexpensive. Sig's are not cheap.

Preban mags... I ordered the GOAL (I am a member) law book so I want to become familiar with that and then I might go preban.

Another thread I might open (if I don't find one, probably will find one) is on the Mossberg MVP... I really like that rifle... AR-15 Mags...

You need a Glock 23. It's a .40 cal mid-size Glock that you can get a 9mm barrel and magazines for. Then get the Glock extended slide release from Amazon for like $10 and take all of 30 seconds to install it. Swapping barrels takes around that long too.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the above comment regarding the .40 not being an upgrade over 9mm was referencing the idea that the .40 is not a superior caliber. I'll let you do your own research on that one.

My first handgun was in 40 S&W. I bought an M&P 40C so that I could buy a 9C barrel and be able to swap between calibers. I like shooting 40. Having said that, I might not go through the trouble again. 9mm is cheaper and feels pretty similar. If I were going to do it again, I think I'd just pick up a 9mm and get a Glock 20 eventually. If you are going to upgrade, might as well upgrade all the way to 10mm. If you are interested in the preban mags, that rules out the M&P, since they don't have preban mags available.

I been eyeballing the new Browning Buckmark pistols for 22lr I have always liked browning pistols.
That said dont over look older generation hand guns either.

I wont give you any 40 cal sucks or what ever. I chose my carry gun for fit and ability to shoot it.
I carried a 1911 for a while. Never though much about weight, concealment ect ect. Then one day I just felt the weight of it and how much it really didnt conceal well with my set up.
Then about 8 years ago I got my hands on a S&W 4013 (im left handed) The grip is fat which I like. I have short fingers and prefer a thick grip.... I picked up a used 4013 with several mags and holsters for short money and it was like new. Solid guns. more than accurate enough for carry purposes.
I always liked how the M&P felt in my hands but never bought one. I have a CZ82 I like to carry also and by far one of my better small pistols.

only HK i ever handled was a USP and my dad had a P7 he picked up in the 80s and sold not long after.

My first handgun was in 40 S&W. I bought an M&P 40C so that I could buy a 9C barrel and be able to swap between calibers. I like shooting 40. Having said that, I might not go through the trouble again. 9mm is cheaper and feels pretty similar. If I were going to do it again, I think I'd just pick up a 9mm and get a Glock 20 eventually. If you are going to upgrade, might as well upgrade all the way to 10mm. If you are interested in the preban mags, that rules out the M&P, since they don't have preban mags available.

That's funny, I went the same route with my first handgun except the full size M&P 40. I soon realized buying factory 40 ammo was getting expensive and bought the storm lake conversion barrel and a bunch of mags. I don't know why I wanted 40 back then..

Your doing the right thing study up on,and try every firearm that you can.That way you will be happy with what you buy.Good luck,and be safe.

How much will you shoot?

- Compare ammo costs. 9MM is cheaper than .40, and much cheaper than .45

Do you want Da only, or SA/DA?

- Some folks like hammers, other like striker fired

Do you like all metal or polymer?

- It's a personal choice

Are you considering hi capacity pre ban magazines?

- This limits your choices

The best solution given in earlier posts is to do a "Try Buy" and shoot the guns first.

I was ready to buy a SIG 226 until I shoot it. Did not like the high barrel axis.

The Ruger SR9 is the first thing I looked at. my Cousin in UT has the SR9 (I think) and he seems to like it. Reviews have been on and off. As far as I know the Sigs are a favorite for a lot of people and I 'm kind of leaning that way. and The 2022 is inexpensive. Sig's are not cheap.

Preban mags... I ordered the GOAL (I am a member) law book so I want to become familiar with that and then I might go preban.

Another thread I might open (if I don't find one, probably will find one) is on the Mossberg MVP... I really like that rifle... AR-15 Mags...

Sigs are always in the Classifieds. I bought mine from a member within your budget.

MVP thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/262806-Mossberg-MVP

Honestly the only way to really know is YOU physically handling and firing each one. Check to see if MFS has each one and go back and try them all.

Honestly the only way to really know is YOU physically handling and firing each one. Check to see if MFS has each one and go back and try them all.

This. I could have saved a lot of wasted money by test running stuff before buying.

-Mike

You can definitely test the M&P & Sig @ MFS. A VP9 is on the way for the range, but my understanding is HK is sending a designated demo gun so it may still be a few weeks. No P2000 currently, but there is a USP Compact (different grip feel, but ergonomically very similar).

I'm absolutely going to try all of them. MFS will let you try anything in inventory for a small fee (per firearm) plus the cost of 10 rounds. then if you buy one, I think the fee goes towards the firearm. Plus I have my $25 coupin from my course.

You can definitely test the M&P & Sig @ MFS. A VP9 is on the way for the range, but my understanding is HK is sending a designated demo gun so it may still be a few weeks. No P2000 currently, but there is a USP Compact (different grip feel, but ergonomically very similar).

This good to know. The SIG and VP9 are on the top on my list, I'm still waiting to make the appointment to submit my application, once the PD gets back to me. So I'm what 6 weeks out anyway? If you work at, are a member or affiliate of MFS, The place is great! I just wish you could fire the Mossberg MVP! (no 5.56 allowed) That's also on the list... (at some point)

It's good you are putting some thought into this. You've gotten advice from a bunch of really experienced shooters here. Go forth and fondle all of the guns! haha
Then, once you decide on a gun, you'll want to find some fellow shooters and try different sights. How you see them, and the feedback they give you (based on the tasks you expect the gun to perform) are even more important than the ergonomics of the gun.

Are you intending to carry this first gun. If not I would add the Beretta 92fs to your list. It is a great gun but a little big and heavy to carry. It is a pretty soft shooter and is very reliable and accurate

I may carry eventually, I feel like I should have more experience before I do. I don't really need to carry, on occasion I would, but I'd really like to be sure that I'd be able to stay cool in the scenario, deal with malfunctions properly, and most importantly, quickly and accurately identify my target(s). Just my personal preference.

We'll see...

It's good you are putting some thought into this. You've gotten advice from a bunch of really experienced shooters here. Go forth and fondle all of the guns! haha
Then, once you decide on a gun, you'll want to find some fellow shooters and try different sights. How you see them, and the feedback they give you (based on the tasks you expect the gun to perform) are even more important than the ergonomics of the gun.

yea. I have a lot to go through. this forum has turned out to be a great resource. It's a reflection on the shooting community. A good group of dudes. (and some dudettes I'm sure!)

Back
Top Bottom