• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First red dot....

Agnotology

NES Member
So, I'm buying a 16" AR. Given the cost of a set of quality irons ($80) , I was figuring I should just get a decent red dot. Was also contemplating an LPVO but they are on the 'flex' side and I'm more on the 'poors' side. Even a Sig Sauer Tango looks a bit rich for me.

Thinking Sig Sauer Romeo 5 for $125. Anyone have a better option at that price point?

Last edited:
For an AR the decision to run either red dot or LPVO should be determined by your intended use.

If you've got decent eyesight, and shooting at 100 yards or less a red dot should more than suffice.
Make sure you check the height; I've got risers on my dots on my ARs so I can get a decent cheek weld.

If you're careful in your choice, you could add a 3X flip up magnifier to it in the future if you wanted to go out further.

If you're going to go out more than 100 yards, you might want to save a bit longer and go with the LPVO; although that depends upon you AND the distance. I recently bought the Sig 1-10 LPVO because I was shooting at 500 yards and I couldn't do it with my aging eyesight and a 1-6 LPVO. :(

I won't talk you in or out of anything, but if it's a cheap red dot you want, don't rule out Primary Arms. I have many of their optics for range toys and they're great. This is one you might find appealing given its price point:

Primary Arms Classic Series 25mm Push Button Red Dot Sight

Yep. My PA has been on all my guns, it's there first generation and probably 15 years old. My aimpoint broke before the PA.

I have a Sig Romeo as well as a Bushnell TRS25. both are ok but I don't run my guns hard.. Both also have reasonably affordable flip up back up irons on them...

really eyeing the Sightmark Wraith.. looks very cool.

For an AR the decision to run either red dot or LPVO should be determined by your intended use.

If you've got decent eyesight, and shooting at 100 yards or less a red dot should more than suffice.
Make sure you check the height; I've got risers on my dots on my ARs so I can get a decent cheek weld.

If you're careful in your choice, you could add a 3X flip up magnifier to it in the future if you wanted to go out further.

If you're going to go out more than 100 yards, you might want to save a bit longer and go with the LPVO; although that depends upon you AND the distance. I recently bought the Sig 1-10 LPVO because I was shooting at 500 yards and I couldn't do it with my aging eyesight and a 1-6 LPVO. :(

I don't see myself plinking further than 200/300 yards, and not past 100 with a dot.

also gonna be trying to find a preban mag or two. Just not ecstatic over paying $50 a pop. Might just get a couple 10 rounders from where ever will deliver to me.

I picked up a Vortex Sparc for my AR and so far I'm liking it. It comes with risers that allow you to co-witness either 1/3rd or full depending on how you like to configure your back up iron sights. Battery life is 50,000 hours so pretty happy with that.

I have a Sig Romeo as well as a Bushnell TRS25. both are ok but I don't run my guns hard.. Both also have reasonably affordable flip up back up irons on them...

really eyeing the Sightmark Wraith.. looks very cool.

As crazy as it sounds, the Bushnells TRS25 is actually the crispest dot for my particular astigmatism. And that's kind of crazy considering all my other red dots are significantly more expensive.

Out of your price range, but I love my Aimpimt PRO’s

I mostly use LPVO’s

And I do have one sig Romeo (cheaper one) but only shot it once.

If it’s a quality rifle. Dont skimp on the dot.

For a serious rifle, I’d want a good set of irons in conjunction with a good dot. So I’d suggest one of two things. First, save the money for the aforementioned setup. Probably looking at 300-500 bucks for decent budget setup. Second, if you don’t want to go that route, I’d recommend a prism optic like the primary arms 1x microprism. Solves the problem of having backup sights if your red dot batteries die, because it has an etched reticle. I’d be comfortable using that without backup irons for most scenarios.

I got a ton of these on various AR uppers. Works well. I have them mounted on the primary arms lower 1/3 cowitness mount - which you can add under the optional accessories on the red dot page. Get a discount too

I have a sparc ar on two 9mms. It’s survived a few 3 gun matches getting thrown in to the barrel. Im content with its durability, especially at that price point.

Holosun will always be difficult to beat in a bang for buck showdown. Bradles already tossed out the 510 though it’s north of $300.
I also like the 403 lineup especially with the rheostat dial. Just seems less likely to have issues compared to buttons on an affordable red dot. I have one on a 1301 and if that hasn’t killed it, it’ll be fine on an AR. Smaller than the 510 and enclosed emitter. You do get some glow mirrored at higher settings but for sub $200, what are we expecting?

Edit- I have a 503 on the 1301. I do enjoy the donut of death. Just north of $200 if you can swing it. Plus, 2 mounts and shake awake.
Actually, I can’t confirm that it has shake awake. Could be why mine died a year later… whoops!

Last edited:
I got a ton of these on various AR uppers. Works well. I have them mounted on the primary arms lower 1/3 cowitness mount - which you can add under the optional accessories on the red dot page. Get a discount too
I like knobs. Err, never mind.

How’s the glass? I love me a budget minded optic and I have a PA LPVO that punches above it’s weight class so I’m certainly not opposed to the brand. I don’t know why I like the shrouded turret caps on the Holosun, but I do. Which is odd because all typical scope and LPVO caps aren’t shrouded so I don’t know what my aversion to it on red dots is.

I don't have a lot of rounds through my Aimpoint red dot or my Vortex LVPO. I can say that I much prefer the red dot -- much lighter, no eye relief issues to deal so you can get behind it easier. Even with a 3x magnifier behind it I prefer the Aimpoint over my Vortex at the same power.

Last edited:
I’d also suggest checking a bunch of local classifieds, you could probably find an older model EoTech for around 200.00-250.00, good enough to get comfortable with and beat on it with no worries.

I’d also suggest checking a bunch of local classifieds, you could probably find an older model EoTech for around 200.00-250.00, good enough to get comfortable with and beat on it with no worries.
Two in Woburn, one for 500 NIB, one for 525 "LNIB". I'd love a true holographic, but that's as much as the rifle cost me. I still have to source some mags. A True holographic is nice because no matter where you put the projected sight, it always is on the POI.

Back
Top Bottom