First time at the range... How's this target look?

I picked up a cheap and old Marlin 100 bolt-action .22 up at Kittery this past weekend for $60. First time shooting it last night, had the range all to myself. Actually, this was really the first time I've really ever shot a bunch of rounds, other than a couple of magazines here and there over the years.

I seemed to be right of the Bullseye all night.

@50' 22LR Marlin 100

looks great.. good work. you seem to be grouping ok, I would kick that back sight just a hair to the left the next time your at the range.. glad you had fun and thanks for the report..

PS keep that target and look at it in a few months and you will be surprised how far you came..

looks great.. good work. you seem to be grouping ok, I would kick that back sight just a hair to the left the next time your at the range.. glad you had fun and thanks for the report..

PS keep that target and look at it in a few months and you will be surprised how far you came..

Absatively - nice shooting! Keep it up! [cheers]

You peppered that right side of that target pretty well. Definitely the gun that's a bit off, and not necessarily you (and if it is, at least you're consistent). I wish my first target looked like that..

The rear sight is missing the elevator... It's just hanging out there right now.
I don't have the rifle in front of me, but the rear sight looks to be factory tack welded at the front, so im not sure I can adjust it from side to side.

I was standing and holding the gun up the entire time. I started to get a bit wobbly towards the last couple dozen rounds.

It does get wobbly, your muscles fatigue like any other sport. You did good your first real time. Keep up the good work and keep practicing.

Nice Shooting, especially for off hand!

I have put several hundred rounds thru my Ranger 103 over the last couple weeks. Mine is basically the same rifle, but made for sale thru Sears.

If you are missing that rear elevator, it may be for a reason. Mine consistantly shot about 5" high at 50 yards at the lowest setting. Perhaps your previous owner just got rid of it. You may be able to find an elevator around at a good shop, but then you'll have some compensating to do. I am slowy compensating with a file to the rear sight. Getting better.

To get your groups more to the left, you can let off of the screw that holds the rear sight to the dovetail ever so slightly. Then you can move the sight ever so slightly to the left with your fingers and retighten the screw. Fire a few groups of 3-5 rounds and see how you did. If you need more adjustment, rinse and repeat.

Good Luck

Ew, edit, I thought I read the front sight was tacked. Nevermind

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom