• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Time Hunter -- Need Any and All Advice

I'm brand new to hunting but a buddy at work got me into it. I'm going to take a hunter safety course in order to get my license but I have no idea where to go from there. Literally.

I picked up a Mosin Nagant at the beginning of the Summer which I still need to sight in (it's been a long time since I've shot ANY of my guns) so this is what I'll be hunting with. My knowledge is minimal and my questions are many.

Firstly, WHERE to hunt. How do I know where to hunt and how do I know that hunting is allowed in a certain area? How do I go about it? Should I wait somewhere or keep on the move? I know it's possible without a tree stand and I don't want to sink too much money into something I may not enjoy. Is there a way to get deer (which is what I'm going after first) to come to me? What if I do shoot one? What is the best way to transport it and what do I do with it afterward? My dad knows a guy who will butcher it but what do I do with the animal in the meantime? What if I put the deer down but it's still alive? I know some people suggest a sidearm to "finish" the job. Is this wise? When is the best time to hunt?

Ok, plenty of questions. Please feel free to answer as many or as little as you like. I know there's a lot.

Thanks!

Firstly, WHERE to hunt. How do I know where to hunt and how do I know that hunting is allowed in a certain area?
Try some of the Wildlife Management Areas, a link has been provided by pupchow. Or ask around for permission to hunt private land.

How do I go about it? Should I wait somewhere or keep on the move? I know it's possible without a tree stand and I don't want to sink too much money into something I may not enjoy.

Some folks like to stillhumt - walking around in the woods with a gun. Others prefer to use a treestand or a ground blind. Either of the latter methods are more productive IMHO.

Is there a way to get deer (which is what I'm going after first) to come to me? What if I do shoot one?

Try asking them nicely. [smile] Rattle a set of fake antlers, use attractant scents & cover scents. Use a deer call. Both require experience though. Be in the right place at the right time. [rolleyes] OK do pre-season scouting so you will be in the right palce at the right time..

What is the best way to transport it and what do I do with it afterward? My dad knows a guy who will butcher it but what do I do with the animal in the meantime?

Drag it out of the woods and throw it in the back of your truck. No truck ? Use the trunk of a car - line it with a tarp first though. As for what to do with it in the meantime, most sportsman's clubs will have a "meat pole" to havg your deer from. If you are not a member try to hang it up off the ground from a tree branch unless that will piss off your neighbors. You could hang it in the garage, but warn your Mom first.

What if I put the deer down but it's still alive? I know some people suggest a sidearm to "finish" the job. Is this wise?
No. Its not lawfull in Massachusetts.

When is the best time to hunt?
The smartass in me says "Hunting season !" but I've had success at all times of the day. Some folks I know use solular tables which can predict when game will be active. You can use the link to learn more about them and I believe Field & Stream publishes them in print every month. You'll need persistance, dilligence, prepardeness and a little bit of luck to bag your deer.

Good luck and best wishes ! [smile]

Sorry, I guess I never put a location in. I'm from NH and plan to do my hunting there. So, perfectly legal with my Mosin. And I can carry pistols here whenever I want.

ETA: Thanks for all info so far.

Last edited:
Yes, the google-fu is strong with this one. I was just pointing out that I can hunt with my Mosin contrary to what I was told.

Yes, the google-fu is strong with this one. I was just pointing out that I can hunt with my Mosin contrary to what I was told.

That's why we list locations on our profiles. When we come onto a message board that encompasses a half-dozen states, we can be given accurate advice.

Given your inexperience and the nature of the questions you're asking, I'd absolutely suggest hunting with an experienced hunter.

Google someplace near your house, check the aerial view, find a place that looks decent, then go to the town or public records to see who owns it.

If you do manage to get a deer, gut it, drag it, then hand it off to a butcher. That's the easiest way. You could also butcher it yourself. During early bow season you can call a doe in at times with a fawn bleat. During the rut, you can rattle, use a doe bleat or snort one in. YMMV with those techniques. Some people swear by them, some say they're garbage. If you can't use one properly, don't. Noise is bad.

Start by getting a copy of the state's regs where you plan to hunt and reading them, then get a second copy and place it in your gear so you'll have one with you.

Know how to use a compass before you venture into the woods.
Have a topo map of the area you'll be hunting.
Let someone know where you'll be and when you expect to return.
Dress for the worst weather you could expect, it can change in a minute.

Do some pre season scouting and find where the deer are bedding, feeding, watering and the routes of travel to and from these areas, the direction of prevailing winds in early morning, mid day and late afternoon. Select a spot
wher you have a vantage point, a clear shot for a good distance and a good (safe backstop) for your shot, preferrably with the wind to your face.

If you take a shot, make it count the first time. Don't wound an animal trying to take a long risky shot that won't drop it immediately.

If you shoot one and it runs, track it and find it, don't let it go to waste. The frustration of having to track it and find it will do wonders to teach you to make your first shot count or don't take the shot at all.

Be prepared to get wet and have extra, dry clothing at your vehicle to change into when you come out of the woods.

Dress like your life depends on it........IT DOES!!!

As for the deer itself, you'll learn more and better by watching someone experienced show you how to gut it. I will offer some suggestions, a single edge razor blade will do a neat, clean, quick job, just be careful handling it and a couple of pairs of latex gloves and some babywipes in a baggie will aid in cleaning up after gutting your deer. Check the liver to see that its not diseased and spotty.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom