• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

first time hunter

wiskie762

Instructor
i am going to plan to hunt this year. I have already scheduled my hunter education cource. My question is should i go with some one who has experience or could i do it myself. going for whitetail dear hopefully.

oh and im looking to hunt in newhampshire not mass. I dont to limit what type of firearm i use.

thanks

i am going to plan to hunt this year. I have already scheduled my hunter education cource. My question is should i go with some one who has experience or could i do it myself. going for whitetail dear hopefully.

oh and im looking to hunt in newhampshire not mass. I dont to limit what type of firearm i use.

thanks

Im going solo this year also. Just ask alot of questions and enjoy nature.

To answer your question, you CAN hunt alone, but hunting usually offers a better chance of success with more people, nevermind you'll miss the comradory(sp?) factor associated with the trip. Safety is another big factor, often times you are on unlevel ground, possibly miles from the nearest road, person etc. Suppose an accident happens, sprain an ankle, accidental shooting God forbid, no cell service, or you get lost?
How well do you know the territory? Often times you can latch on to a friend who has hunted a particular piece before, that knows the in's and out's of the land and where to set-up a good stand.
If you have no choice..it's great just to get out in the field. If you have people you can go with, why not give it a go with someone who knows a little bit about it. You'd be surprised what you can pick-up from another person.
AND last, but not least, ever dragged a dead (100lbs. minimum) carcass back to a vehicle over rough, uneven ground, ALONE? I have, it blows...
Buddy up if you can, you'll get much more from it. Good to have another hunting (or two) joining the ranks though, were a dying breed.

Last edited:
Looking for some one to go with too.I started last year and people i know looked at me funny when i said i wanted to learn abot and go hunting.

You do get a quick overview at hunters safety, best thing I have found is hands on experience. Take your time, go slow, you can only mess it up to a point.
My first 5 years or so in the woods I carried a little laminated card with basic instructions. Like I said, it wasn't pretty, but something experience in the woods will teach you.

yeah and smells more right

Smells a little The cold will make you a little congested anyway, so you might not notice. To field dress a dear: pinch the skin near the top of the belly and insert knife, run it down to the anis. Flop the beast on its side and take out the sack (Intestines), take out the lower organs. There is a thin membrane between the guts and lungs, heart, etc. go threw that, reach up there and cut the wind pipe so its easy to take the rest of the organs. Make sure to take out the Rectum/anis and genitals. I was always told to hose out the cavity when you get home and hang it from its feet. Be careful not to cut threw the intestine sack or puncture the bladder.

If you need info on how to break down/ carve the beast to turn it into steaks, chops and roast let me know. I can email you a copy of notes/documents on Meat carving.

Back
Top Bottom