• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

First Try Bolt Action, TC Compass, Wolf Ammo, 50 Yards, 2 inch Spread

I bought my first modern bolt-action rifle, a Thompson Center Compass 5.56 during a big sale in last year's Christmas season.
For scope, I started from the most basic one, Twod 3-9 40mm scope.
https://www.amazon.com/Twod-Tactical-6-24X50mm-Illuminated-Crosshair/dp/B01M6A8593
For ammo, I also started from 20 cents per round steel-cased Wolf Military Classic 223, 55 grain
Wolf MC 223 Remington Ammo 55 Grain FMJ Steel Case

In the range of 50 yards, I zeroed in my scope, and the spread is about 2 inches.

175149tha0zxzr1ax8aapb.jpg

I also used Federal 223 55 grain brass-cased ammo, with the same spread.
TC Compass operates very smoothly with brass-cased ammo. Wolf steel-cased ammo has a layer of coating over the steel. The coating does not give me any problem in extraction. That alleviated biggest concern about steel-cased ammo on bolt action action, which is jamming inside the chamber, and requires a long rod from the muzzle end to ram out the case. However, the coating does increase the friction, causing trouble in loading the ammo into Compass' rotary magazine. I can only easily load 3 rounds. The coating also caused problem in feeding. Anyway, no problem cannot be tolerated for the sake of low price at 20 cents per round.

This $27 scope withstood more than 300 rounds of .223 ammo on this Compass. It seems to hold zero.

The weather was very windy, 20 miles per hour predicted online. When I sit on the shooting table, I could feel that my whole body was swayed by the gust of wind to my right.
I do not know how much trouble was caused by the windy weather. Another shooter beside me got 1 inch spread from his custom-made .270 rifle with hand-load ammo.

The 2-inch spread at about 50 yards is 4 MOA, which is abysmal for a bolt action rifle in 223.
The biggest reason is obviously me, the shooter. The second reason may be how I rest my rifle. I put a T-shirt over a toast to make a DIY rest. The third reason is ammo. The forth reason may be the rifle. My Compass may not be free floated. The stock looks touching the barrel on the left side. I will try a test with a dollar bill.

It is very fun to shoot bolt-action rifle. With AR banned in Massachusetts, bolt-action is the only affordable way to experience 223 ammo. 4 MOA is a starting point that I can improve gradually. I may feel bored and give up quickly if I achieved 1/2 MOA during my first try.

Try a box of Federal Gold Medal Match and that should give you a better idea of what mechanical accuracy it is capable of.
Use a solid rest with a rear support bag to reduce shooter error as much as possible.
1/2 moa is not hard to do at 100 yards if you have a decent rest, scope, ammo and rifle.
My 700 in 308 will do it as well as a Compass Lake Engineering AR upper I own.
Easy peasy!
3162.jpg

Last edited:
This is the pattern of the same time shooting with Federal 223, 30 cents per round when on sale at Walmart.

195001s58m80m0p3rhu06m.jpg

When compared with pattern of Wolf ammo in the first post, it seems that the vertical spread is 1.5 inch, and the horizontal spread is 2 inches, which may be caused by strong gust of wind at that time.

Update on 4/25/2019:
After a week I went back to the same 50 meters range again. This time there is no wind.
I used the same $27 Twod 3-9 40mm scope. Last time I used 6x zoom. This time I set the zoom to the maximum 9x.
The improvement on accuracy on all kinds of ammo is quite dramatic.
Federal .223 brass case, bought at 30 cents per round when on sale at walmart. 5 round group is within 1 inch at 50 meters, 10 round group within 1.5 inch.

062709qzpk6tvkxxkokvs9.jpg

062709bop61tc1ga6hlwbo.jpg

Wolf Military Classic 55 gr, 20 cents per round from Target Sports USA. 3 round group within 1 inch at 50 meters, 9 round group within 1.5 inch.

062709bomwrnmwovw4vnkx.jpg

062709auis22mw2zsrmewv.jpg

I thought more about 2 inch spread at 50 meters under 20 MPH wind from last range session.
Ballistic Calculator GunData.org
It seems that wind drift for .223 ammo at 20 MPH side wind will be half inch.
What I felt at that time was that the wind blew my upper body to the right. Perhaps the strong wind had more effect on my body than on the bullet flying in the air at 3 times speed of sound.

Back
Top Bottom