• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Fixed mag AR

Alright this is for education only. In MA we all know we have fixed mag lowers, are those mag releases welded in from the manufacturer? Or are they just inserts? Obviously gun control goes work and things like this don’t stop crime. Just curious I don’t know a lot about them.

It assembles without a spring so you can't just press the button. There are lots of companies making them, thus it's just one example
For the record: get a regular AR.

That beig said, I think it is pretty funny that POS lock satisfies MA. You could put that in your AR on the way to the range and remove it in 2 seconds. (For those that are afraid a SWAT team on the way to the donut shop will stop them).

Last edited:
Oh alright I gotcha.. again only educational not trying to be a felon, but couldn’t you just press that our and install a normal mag release?

Massachusetts doesn’t have a definitions for a fixed magazine. Heck, some people use an insert that makes the magazine fixed while it is a functioning firearm, but when you open up the upper receiver, you can take it out. But at that point, it’s not a functioning firearm anymore and therefore a fixed mag isn’t an issue. Who knows if that would stick in court though.

Or, you could ignore Healey’s BS and build your own new AR with a fixed stock, a permanently attached muzzle brake or comp, and no bayonet lug.

It assembles without a spring so you can't just press the button. There are lots of companies making them, thus it's just one example
Oh alright I gotcha.. again only educational not trying to be a felon, but couldn’t you just press that our and install a normal mag release
Well, since the Heeldog's STATEMENT isn't written law just buy (or better yet, build) a regular AR.......
I get what your saying that makes sense. I found some fixed mag AR lowers for a lot cheaper, like a few hundred cheaper than the pre ban lowers. And was curious to if you could just remove them? I know it’s illegal.. Not saying I was going to! Again this is educational only🤓😉 I didn’t know if they were all built the same way if there was a standard

I hope you all know what I’m referring too when I say educational only. Don’t need the alphabet boys knocking on any doors

Oh alright I gotcha.. again only educational not trying to be a felon, but couldn’t you just press that our and install a normal mag release

I get what your saying that makes sense. I found some fixed mag AR lowers for a lot cheaper, like a few hundred cheaper than the pre ban lowers. And was curious to if you could just remove them? I know it’s illegal.. Not saying I was going to! Again this is educational only🤓😉 I didn’t know if they were all built the same way if there was a standard
Depends on your aversion to liberty I guess.
No, most fixed mag lowers are machined slightly different from regular lowers.

I’m not insinuating, written law is extremely confusing and non specific and I’m allowed to ask questions

The thing is that you have been on this sight for almost 3 years, and the only hand full of recent posts that you have, are about this point.

And to add to that, you label the questions as "educational", which can also be interpreted as "for dissemination" (such as in a news story).

How do members here know if you are a legit & responsible firearm owner looking for help and guidance, or, if you are simply fishing for opinions and dirt, in order to write up an "educational" hit piece in a local newspaper or a TV news segment.

I am not accusing you of either (as I have no idea), but from a neutral standpoint ....
.... you seem to be bringing some degree of suspicion on yourself (as to what the motives are).
IMHO, that is the reason for the mixed responses.

Last edited:
The thing is that you have been on this sight for almost 3 years, and the only hand full of recent posts that you have, are about this point.

And to add to that, you label the questions as "educational", which can also be interpreted as "for dissemination" (such as in a news story).

How do members here know if you are a legit & responsible firearm owner looking for help and guidance, or, if you are simply fishing for opinions and dirt, in order to write up an "educational" hit piece in a local newspaper or a TV news segment.

I am not accusing you of either (as I have no idea), but from a neutral standpoint ....
.... you seem to be bringing some degree of suspicion on yourself (as to what the motives are).
IMHO, that is the reason for the mixed responses.
And I’m going to add as well I have a pre ban AR and refuse to pay 3K for a 800$ rifle in this state. I plan to move my family hopefully soon out of this place. I know you can convert your AR to a legal fixed mag. But I wanted to buy a “normal price” fixed AR, and I moved I want to know if I can take that pin out and enjoy being in a free state. I was trying to avoid saying “taking it out to use” but that’s why..

Alright this is for education only. In MA we all know we have fixed mag lowers, are those mag releases welded in from the manufacturer? Or are they just inserts? Obviously gun control goes work and things like this don’t stop crime. Just curious I don’t know a lot about them.

If I was going to go with a fixed mag AR I would go with a JC Arms.

This is why:

Fixed Mag AR Assault Weapon Charge

Bob

Don’t encourage this jerk-off. I agree with @NHCraigT that something smells off.

How this debate continues, in all its subtle varieties, really confuses me. For a new LTC owner I get it and am happy to help navigate but for a three year lurker? Read more... or do I need to start another dumpster fire to get the word out... again. (Sorry in advance mods)

Fixed Mag is defined in Massachusettes as for men that are fixed or have their balls in Maura's Purse

I’m not insinuating, written law is extremely confusing and non specific and I’m allowed to ask questions

Massachusetts adopted the original AWB and within Massachusetts it remains law today despite a sunset for the federal law. There are well established and CLEAR conditions to remain within compliance of this law. Not only does this very site have a sub-forum for Mass gun laws, there's a thread regarding the Mass AWB specifically. Right at the top you'd see this (if you bothered to look + read) what constitutes an 'assault weapon' according to Mass law:

Rifles:
(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii) a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

NOTE WELL: Given (B), this means that things like PUMP and BOLT ACTION rifles are EXEMPT from the AWB.

Therefore if you have a (B) rifle with a detachable magazine plus the added evil feature of a pistol grip (typical AR configuration) adding any other of those features (i and iii - v) you are now in violation. As has been posted a bazillion times, most folks with a typical existing AR / M4 clone can modify it for compliance via a well known process: remove the bayonet lug, pitch the flash hider, blind pin the buttstock into the desired position, then permanently install a brake or some other non-flash hider muzzle device.

Again, no detachable mag- do what you want with evil features. Mean Arms MA lock creates a fixed mag. You can no longer create an 'assault weapon' by adding any number of the i - v listed features. Maybe that post could be confusing regarding ease of removal of the MA Lock. I disagree with such a comment in that try removing that thing without very specific tools- not happening. Regardless of Señor Squib's (@Broccoli Iglesias ) comment, proper installation of this lock makes the firearm legally fixed mag. End of story.

Or buy a dedicated fixed mag 'pre-neutered' lower- preference to JC Arms. Done.

Even if you have some sort of legit issue that makes logical deduction difficult, there are thousands of posts further explaining the above. Sure, you can ask questions but this is not at all confusing and it is very specific. To receive answers yet keep beating this topic to death is pointless. You're either stubborn or trying to stir sh!t - so you either need to learn to accept the answers you get or take your sh!t stirring elsewhere. Honestly I figure it's pointless to try to clarify this for you, but others who read this later should not worry that there are hidden traps beyond just following the law.

Paging @TPNES : I have hip waders- can I borrow your lighter?

giphy.gif

Are u interested in buying one?

And I’m going to add as well I have a pre ban AR and refuse to pay 3K for a 800$ rifle in this state. I plan to move my family hopefully soon out of this place. I know you can convert your AR to a legal fixed mag. But I wanted to buy a “normal price” fixed AR, and I moved I want to know if I can take that pin out and enjoy being in a free state. I was trying to avoid saying “taking it out to use” but that’s why..
U do realize a fixed mag AR in MA is still just about a thousand bucks...

Back
Top Bottom