FL Judge Pulls Gun in Court

Mar 27 02:15 PM US/Eastern

JACKSONVILLE, Fla., March 27 (UPI) -- A Jacksonville, Fla., judge drew his handgun when an accused child molester was attacked by an alleged victim's father in court.

"I didn't know if he was going after me or the bailiffs or the defendant," Circuit Judge John Merrett told The (Jacksonville, Fla.) Times-Union.

The father, who had not seen the defendant before the court appearance, hurdled a railing and landed several punches on the handcuffed and shackled man before bailiffs restored order.

Merrett said that once he saw the situation was under control, he handed his gun to the court clerk and asked her to lock it in a drawer. Merrett has a concealed weapon permit and said he'd do the same thing again, the newspaper reported.

But Duval County Public Defender Bill White said the incident was frightening. He plans to talk to the chief judge about whether judges should be armed in court.

"It's very disconcerting for a lawyer to be in the line of fire," White told the Times-Union.

The father was charged with felony aggravated assault and misdemeanor battery.

I don't understand why they stop that kind of thing. Maybe if they let the families take care of the molestors it would happen less.

The BG will probably do four years with some supervised time after... [rolleyes]

But Duval County Public Defender Bill White said the incident was frightening. He plans to talk to the chief judge about whether judges should be armed in court.

"It's very disconcerting for a lawyer to be in the line of fire," White told the Times-Union.

Why would this man (?) be frightened? If someone went nuts in a courtroom wouldn't he be glad someone had a means of defense?

Funny, my son just came across some of my old Judge Dredd comics..

Here's all you need.
lawgivermodel03.jpg

Funny it was the defense attorney that was fightened when the judge pulled the gun. Just as the judge said he wasn't sure if the "spectator" was coming after him or not. The defense attorney probably felt the same way about the judge...is he after the defendant slimeball or the defendants slimier attorney. This guy will go to jail and won't live to see his release date once they find out he is a child molester, I hope.

I hope they let the father off with nothing more than a few token hours of public service, if even that - I would hold him blameless. I can't believe they let the two get within 20 feet of one another. I've thought of this scenario, as a father, and figured a trained father could kill with bare hands in seconds (ballpoint pen, eyes, throat, etc) - then claim momentary insanity. It isn't enough to know the guy will be stomped dead in jail - a father would want to do it themself.

My wife says to lock such a dirtbag in a room with a dozen mothers - now there's judgement by twelve.

I'm good with judges being armed - as long as the rest of us can armed be in almost all places at almost all times (my list is much shorter list than exists in even the most permissive state, and includes post offices, banks, bars, churches, etc).

Like Mass, one can not carry concealed in a Court.

Hell, I am in all favor of Judges be allowed to CC as long as everyone can. But I am of the firm belief that you shouldn't be carrying in a courtroom because of the VERY high emotion that can go on there.

I dont understand why they didnt just let him beat the SOB to death... sorry

Rapist and Child molesters should be given no second chance. They should have their manhood removed with a hammer and then gutted and fed to wild dogs.

But thats just my opinion. [smile]

Because no one is ever falsely accused by attention whores... If you ever wonder why gun owners get shafted in the system just look in the mirror.

Because no one is ever falsely accused by attention whores... If you ever wonder why gun owners get shafted in the system just look in the mirror.

If my son told me that someone molested him, I wouldn't wait for a fair trial... [thinking]

Rapist and Child molesters should be given no second chance. They should have their manhood removed with a hammer and then gutted and fed to wild dogs.

Geez matt...you want to make the poor pups sick? Although I agree with the hammer and gutting part. [wink]

One of the most surreal events I can remember happened in Haverhill about 15 years ago. A young boy (10-12, IIRC) was down fishing by the river when some sick pedophile bastard attacked and then killed him.

The cops caught him, and while he was being led into the courthouse for processing, the kids' older half-brother ran up to him and started PUMMELING him right in front of the cops. Haverhill PD, to their everlasting credit, watched the guy take a pretty damn good beating before breaking things up.

I went to the courthouse to post his bail the next day, but was unable to do so.

Someone else had beaten me to it. Rumor had it that it was the judge involved in the case...

Rob and adweisbe - While I'm sure it happens that some people are falsely accused of molesting children, it's EXTREMELY rare. Much more often what happens is that the children are molested, and are too terrified and confused to ever say anything. Most think it's their fault!!

Because of this, the average child molestor will have molested about 150 kids BEFORE they are ever caught for molesting one of them.

Top that off with the fact that they do very little time, and then get out of jail only to start all over again in the vast majority of cases. Child molestation has one of the highest recitivism rates.

So, while I'm all for a trial and conviction process (a speedy trial), the catch and release system we now have doesn't work, and in fact makes things worse. The more they molest, the more emboldened the molestor becomes, and the crimes escalate.

mmm... now am I an attention whore is my child? I'd like to think neither and knowing how our justic system works, I'd take my son's word and make sure justic is serverd, and trust me, I wouldn't need a gun to do it... If I have time to throw punches, I have time to make sure the man never walks again too.

Do you have children?

If my son told me that someone molested him, I wouldn't wait for a fair trial... [thinking]

100% agree.

Of course they should be, if the bailiffs can't control the prisoners and spectators.

And that is why it's against the law to do things like that, Derek. Remember the Duke team who were accused of rape last year? Suppose your son was mad at someone and told you that said someone molested him just to get you to beat him up?

Never - NEVER - do things in the heat of rage. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Geez matt...you want to make the poor pups sick? Although I agree with the hammer and gutting part. [wink]

lol... sorry... true that would be cruel to the doggies. I know it is a bit extreme. but given the fact that many child molesters were in fact molested as children themselves, it goes to show that allowing them a second chance risks creating more of these sick pigs.

Of course they should be, if the bailiffs can't control the prisoners and spectators.

And that is why it's against the law to do things like that, Derek. Remember the Duke team who were accused of rape last year? Suppose your son was mad at someone and told you that said someone molested him just to get you to beat him up?

Never - NEVER - do things in the heat of rage. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

still not convinced they were innocent. Ok... back on topic.

I'm not raising a gold digging stripper whore. My boys don't lie to me.

Back
Top Bottom