• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

FN 509 MRD-LE Selected As The New LAPD Duty Pistol

Reptile

NES Member
After a series of tests that included a 20,000 round endurance qualification, the FN 509 MRD-LE has been selected as the new LAPD Duty Pistol. All of the new pistols will feature FN’s MRD optics mounting system which will bring red dot capabilities to one of the largest police departments in the United States. Although the press release does not include information on a contract amount or the number of pistols to be provided, the award covers a five year period and provides guns to the entire 10,000 person department.

Additional details can be found below.

Good luck training thousands of mouth breathing morons how to use that rds. Christ I’d bet 75% of them don’t know how to field strip their pistol they’re carrying now. Sounds like The Good Idea Fairy stuck her stupid annoying face in there.

Good luck training thousands of mouth breathing morons how to use that rds. Christ I’d bet 75% of them don’t know how to field strip their pistol they’re carrying now. Sounds like The Good Idea Fairy stuck her stupid annoying face in there.
Aren't you part of the brethren? 🤔 What happened to sandbox etiquette?

Aren't you part of the brethren? 🤔 What happened to sandbox etiquette?
I am. Was. But I don’t make excuses for the incompetence around me, you’re either good at it or you suck at it. That’s just the way it is.

From a Robin Hood movie, but it fits here;

“This will be the end of it, this will be the worst, as soon as it’s over I’m gone. I don’t owe God or any other man here one more minute of service.”

Last edited:
LAPD Officers are allowed to choose from a range of Beretta, Smith & Wesson and Glock options for their duty pistol. I think this is just another addition to the list.

Who is the hot sales chick that works at FN and who did she um, service…. To make that happen?

The trigger on the 509 is abhorrent. Or at least it felt that way on every one I’ve ever dry fired.

Who is the hot sales chick that works at FN and who did she um, service…. To make that happen?

The trigger on the 509 is abhorrent. Or at least it felt that way on every one I’ve ever dry fired.
I have the same exact thought of the 509. Terrible trigger.
Which says a lot because I hold the opinion that CZ, Glock, S&W, H&K, Walther, Beretta, Sig it's all the same shit. But it feels like they went out of their way to make the 509 trigger feel like a sandpaper. That said, it's still a good gun. That's just such a terrible trait for a more expensive handgun.

If I can spend $100 on parts that I drop in a gun and get a great trigger, I am sure FN can make a non sh*t trigger for LEO.

So you think the triggers in those guns are the same junk you and I buy?

If I can spend $100 on parts that I drop in a gun and get a great trigger, I am sure FN can make a non sh*t trigger for LEO.

Lol yes. Especially given the history with the FNS which actually was a decent handgun but the trigger was kind of stiff but actually I think the 509 trigger is worse at least the FNS trigger hits a well defined wall. The 509 is a grit machine.

Also the drop in thing is never happening here this is a 509 not a Glock, Sig, or CZ product. (All have huge bases and aftermarket).

It doesn't come with an RDS. It just has the system to mount an RDS. If you look at the picture of the actual gun, it just has the slide cut-out/mounting plates. They may never actually mount an RDS.

"Superior accuracy of the FN 509 MRD-LE starts with the patented FN Low-Profile Optics-Mounting System™. Adapted from the original development for the U.S. Army’s handgun trials, it gives officers more precision and sighting versatility than all other handguns."

It's no different than the optics-ready offerings from Sig, Glock, etc.

It doesn't come with an RDS. It just has the system to mount an RDS. If you look at the picture of the actual gun, it just has the slide cut-out/mounting plates. They may never actually mount an RDS.

"Superior accuracy of the FN 509 MRD-LE starts with the patented FN Low-Profile Optics-Mounting System™. Adapted from the original development for the U.S. Army’s handgun trials, it gives officers more precision and sighting versatility than all other handguns."

It's no different than the optics-ready offerings from Sig, Glock, etc.
I saw the picture that’s attached to the OP’s link in the first post showing a RDS mounted, maybe it’s just lazy journalism and they attached a stock photo. Does the link go on to specify that there is no RDS included?

I’m not sure why they’d bother, or pay for, having slide cut mounting systems on thousands of pistols that generally cost more up front, and also require more maintenance if they’re not including an RDS on it.

Yes. And possibly worse than stock triggers, depending on the admin requirements (read: complete and total lack of understanding) for trigger pull, the administration may require some retarded 10-12lb pull for ‘safety’ or however they want to justify it.

They’re certainly not saying ‘ok we understand your triggers suck so we want to pay xxx $$$ for better trigger kits.’ That’s not happening.

I don’t know how other states work with re: to modifications on dept issued firearms, but in MA you are strictly forbidden from modifying anything on your issued weapons short of a rubber grip or a WML if it’s authorized, any other self employed modifications will get you jammed up quickly.

In any incidents where rounds are fired, anybody involved usually has their firearms secured by forensics personal and gone over with a fine tooth comb to determine which weapons were fired and matching them to ballistic evidence found on scene or if anything internally has been modified outside of standard issue req’s so that opposing attorneys during any following trial or invest. can’t turn that around and say “Hey Off Joe Blow had replaced his standard 12lb trigger with a modified trigger that only has a 4.5lb pull. This guy is a loose canon who was just looking to get into a gunfight and as such even modified his issued dept firearm with a custom gunfighting trigger!” The case would be shot right there, bad guy gets off and the cop would be hung out to dry, just for wanting a non shit brick sandy beach trigger.

I saw the picture that’s attached to the OP’s link in the first post showing a RDS mounted, maybe it’s just lazy journalism and they attached a stock photo. Does the link go on to specify that there is no RDS included?

I’m not sure why they’d bother, or pay for, having slide cut mounting systems on thousands of pistols that generally cost more up front, and also require more maintenance if they’re not including an RDS on it.
I think they want the option, and recognize RDSs are "the coming thing." I'm also betting the cost delta was negligible, and probably "the standard model."

Here's what the FN press release showed as the "kit."

261D29D1-7406-42E8-A376-46778DA5C1EC.jpeg

I think they want the option, and recognize RDSs are "the coming thing." I'm also betting the cost delta was negligible, and probably "the standard model."

Here's what the FN press release showed as the "kit."

View attachment 512954
Interesting. My initial thoughts were that using a RDS on a pistol is an awkward and slow learning curve unless or until you’ve actually trained with it kind of religiously to unlearn the iron site presentation and get find that dot ASAP in a street confrontation. This could be disastrous if so, knowing full well how little most cops train to begin with.

Interesting. My initial thoughts were that using a RDS on a pistol is an awkward and slow learning curve unless or until you’ve actually trained with it kind of religiously to unlearn the iron site presentation and get find that dot ASAP in a street confrontation. This could be disastrous if so, knowing full well how little most cops train to begin with.
I don't doubt you're right. They may want to deploy them only to select units, or after a certain qualification is reached. If all the guns can accept one, it's an easier "mod."

I recently bought a CORE slide for my M&P9, and have been working with a FF3 mounted. Trying to see if I like it, do better, etc. Jury is still out.

One amazing thing I did notice last week was when I gave it to an experienced M&P9 shooter, and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I was stunned. I thought the mount had come loose, it was that bad. With a conventionally-sighted gun, he was dropping plates like a machine. Hand him the RDS, and he couldn't hit shit.

Me (incredulous): "Can you see the dot?"
Him: "Yes"
Me: "And it's on the plate?"
It was amazing. Some people, I guess, just can't shoot an RDS.

As an example, MA compliant guns have something like a 10+ pound trigger. Liberal areas seem to love guns that are really difficult to shoot well. I am definitely serious.
Only smith does that bullshit (and sig on the P250) not sure if FN did or not. I haven't bothered keeping track of what trash is in MA SKUed guns for awhile now. Not really relevant to LE use because LE doesn't get that trash anyways. The "MA Trigger" thing is a joke that really only smith owners understand...

I don't doubt you're right. They may want to deploy them only to select units, or after a certain qualification is reached. If all the guns can accept one, it's an easier "mod."

I recently bought a CORE slide for my M&P9, and have been working with a FF3 mounted. Trying to see if I like it, do better, etc. Jury is still out.

One amazing thing I did notice last week was when I gave it to an experienced M&P9 shooter, and he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. I was stunned. I thought the mount had come loose, it was that bad. With a conventionally-sighted gun, he was dropping plates like a machine. Hand him the RDS, and he couldn't hit shit.

Me (incredulous): "Can you see the dot?"
Me: "And it's on the plate?"
It was amazing. Some people, I guess, just can't shoot an RDS.
I think you have to relearn to just 'trust' the sight platform. People chase the front sight with standard irons, it's not until you accept the movement can you shoot well. I was talking to a pistol team member talking about switching, he said he finally got to the point where he just threw the gun up, saw red dot, saw target, hit trigger.

My guess is that it was a "free upgrade."
In reality, cutting the slide for a RDS probably takes a CNC machine an additional 20 seconds at the factory. It is one of those "value added" features that manufacturers love. It cost them $1.00 to produce, but they can charge $100.00 for it.

I am not a fan of RDS, and especially not on a carry gun or duty pistol. Murphy's law says that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and when Sgt. Friday drops his gun on the concrete and trashes his red dot, he is screwed.
I like them on my AR's, if they co witness with the BUS, in combination with a magnifier, but would rather a good set of night sights on a pistol.
YMMV

My guess is that it was a "free upgrade."
In reality, cutting the slide for a RDS probably takes a CNC machine an additional 20 seconds at the factory. It is one of those "value added" features that manufacturers love. It cost them $1.00 to produce, but they can charge $100.00 for it.

I am not a fan of RDS, and especially not on a carry gun or duty pistol. Murphy's law says that anything that can go wrong will go wrong, and when Sgt. Friday drops his gun on the concrete and trashes his red dot, he is screwed.
I like them on my AR's, if they co witness with the BUS, in combination with a magnifier, but would rather a good set of night sights on a pistol.
YMMV

Suppressor height sights allow you to co-witness an RDS pretty easily. Like @cams has said, though, it takes training to learn how to use either effectively, and most cops don't bother.

Back
Top Bottom