Fort Devens Museum

I had the pleasure to visit the Fort Devens Museum in Devens Mass this past summer.
It's only open two days a week and is hard to find and is only one small room of the history of Fort Devens.

There a small entrance door and you have to go to the second floor and walk all the way down the hall to the museum.

It is very interesting view the small amount of what on display.

What I don't understand is why this museum is so small in the location it is with all the large empty buildings that are still in Devens. A large Museum Devens would draw lots of people to visit a military with the history that Fort Devens had in Massachusetts. There are great links to Fort Devens on Line and on youtube.
I wish that state would help build a larger museum in Devens. There are no Military Museums in Massachusetts. I found one online up in Northern New Hampshire I can't remember the town.

Well this is just my opinion. But I hope that everyone has a chance to vist this Museum one day.

http://www.fortdevensmuseum.org/Education.htm

Hi,
It is nice to see a post about the Fort Devens Museum.

Let me tell you what has happened there recently:

I arrived to help out the museum this past early summer, to find the
museum had stalled out.

When the base closed in 1996 the army museum also closed and sent everything
to other army operated museums. Several citizens of the valley began the new museum
as a non profit organization and it has taken them 10 years to accumulate enough items for a small museum to tell the story of those who came through Camp Devens and later Fort Devens.

When the base closed, thousands of acres of land was turned over to MassDevelopment to develop and lease out. They were making some attempt at a community for Devens and funded the museum's operational expenses. In July of 2010, just as I came on, that funding ended. So, the museum has no funding, and no stand alone building.

MassDevelopment does give the museum two rooms to use; one being the museum room. It really is not suitable for a museum, as it is located on the third floor of an office building. Also, those in charge will not allow the museum to put up a road sign/tourist sign. So, as I type this message, the museum has no building, no funding, and no sign.

We have put considerable time and effort into the museum in the past couple of months, making it a showroom and putting together new displays. November 6th was the open house for the new museum and 400 people arrived. That tells me there is an interest.

Right now, the museum is only open to the public on Tuesdays from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and on Fridays from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.

I invite anyone with an interest in the history of Fort Devens to find their way to the museum and pass the word to others.

Thanks,
Doug Culver
Member, Board of Directors
Fort Devens Museum
94 Jackson Road #305
Devens, MA 01434

Working folks need a weekend day or later hours. Just saying.

My Step-father spent time there launching ordinance of some sort.

The golf course still has ammo bunkers on at least the 17th hole and there is a tower still standing.

Hi,
yes, I agree, the museum needs to be open more hours and on a weekend.
Right now, there is no money to pay for someone to come in, and I have no
volunteers. So, for now, the hours are limited.

Here is a link to the museum Flickr photo account that I have been posting
photos to, for the past several months:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fortdevensmuseum/

Doug Culver

Doug as a USAISD (intel school ) Grad and Instructor is there much about the intel school? It was located in the Vicksburg Square area. I know some of the MOS that where taught there in the 1980's for example.

There are no Military Museums in Massachusetts. I found one online up in Northern New Hampshire I can't remember the town.

http://www.fortdevensmuseum.org/Education.htm

The MA National Guard has a museum in Worcester and it is pretty nice. Several years since I last saw it, not sure if much has changed. below is copied from their web site.

Worcester Armory, 1891
The National Guard Military Museum and Archives' mission is to collect, to preserve, and to provide access to the material culture of the Massachusetts National Guard and Militia from its inception in 1636 to the present. Archival records and museum displays chronicle the growth of the colonial militia from the 17th century to the modern Massachusetts Army and Air National Guard.

Museum & Archives
The Museum is housed in a historic National Guard Armory in Worcester which was completed in 1891. The castle-like Gothic revival armory is typical of late 19th century armory architecture. Imposing armories were built in most major cities for militia training and weapons storage. The Worcester Armory is on the National Historic Register.

The Massachusetts Military Museum and Archives was established in 1995. The museum holds the material culture and documents of the Massachusetts National Guard. The most significant records are documents relating to the men and units of the Massachusetts Volunteer Regiments which fought in the Civil War.

Museum holdings also include the archives of the Office of the Adjutant General as well as the military records of Massachusetts Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, Militiamen, and National Guardsmen from 1775 - 1940. Military records of Massachusetts servicemen from 1941 to the present are available from the Military Records Branch, Office of the Adjutant General, at (508) 233-7780.

Displays in the museum depict the history of the Massachusetts National Guard beginning with its organization in 1636 as the colonial militia. The Massachusetts militia began the Revolutionary War on April 19th, 1775 at the battle of Lexington and Concord. Massachusetts Soldiers and units played a key role in winning American Independence.

During the Civil War, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia Regiments were the first Northern regiments to mobilize, deploy, and shed blood in the Civil War. In World War I, the Massachusetts National Guard provided the largest number of units for the famed 26th “Yankee” Division. The 26th was the first complete U.S. Army division to arrive in France in 1917 and fought in six campaigns. The 26th fought in four campaigns during World War II in battles from France all the way to Czechoslovakia. Since World War II, the Massachusetts National Guard has served in four wars.

Contact Information
The Museum is open Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Admission is free of charge.

Researchers should call at least one day in advance.

Phone: (508) 797-0334
Email: [email protected]

Hi,
No, sorry to say that there is not much about the intel school at Fort Devens.
A few photos that have been enlarged for display.

A few other items from the ASA School, like patches, a sign, etc.

Vicksburg Square is now empty.
Amazing just how big the place really is.

The developers are trying to get it rezoned, so they can
move in renters and a few businesses, but so far,
not much has happened.
So, the huge place is empty.

Doug

volunteers

Maybe if you where to post on this forum and others looking for volunteers you maybe be able to open more say one weekend day very month.

Once you get a group of volunteers together see what day on a weekend works for them each month.

There are many retired veterans and non veterans around in all different types of clubs. That could be contacted for volunteers.

Like Guns Clubs, Amateur Radio Clubs, Antique Auto Clubs, Town Historians in the local area towns have volunteers. The word just has to get out and I feel that just opening an extra day per month on a weekend would be a start to better thing to come for the Fort Devens Museum. There has to be a local military truck club around that would like to also bring some vehicles to display on a weekend. Just like bring there vehicles to a car show.

There are also people in the Amateur Radio clubs that have old military trucks that have working military radios that they bring to amateur Radio flea markets in the spring and fall.

All you have to do is get the word out

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8700082215249860264#

Found on YouTube

Fort Devens Video 1993 former USASA Army Security Agency
38:14 -
DOWNLOAD FIRST FOR CLEARER COPY Tour of Fort Devens in 1993, with emphasis on the former ASA buildings, before old barracks were torn down. Some 2006 footage of the last remnants of wooden barracks being torn down on the south end of the base. Today, the old 2nd Bn area is TOTALLY redeveloped with modern high industrial. The upper post area is a modern shopping center with restaurant and classy motel. I was a clerk at Con 4 Mess until I went to IBM Course at USASATC&S. SEE VIDEOS OF VINT HILL FARMS AND FORT ORD.

Interesting story about Fort Devens.

When I was there in 1969 they tried to recruit me for this unit of guy's who wore civilian clothes and grew hair and beards, etc.

The job was to infiltrate civilian protests and demonstrations and take pictures of the leaders and instigators.

I declined, because I didn't want to lose my slot at Fort Monmouth for Electronics School.

I often wondered what that might have been like. I could have ended up taking pictures of Depicts with that hippie hairdo he had back then![laugh2]

It would have been a unique experience.[wink] Our long haired civilian clothes wearers in Berlin were next door to our barracks.[laugh]

It would have been a unique experience.[wink] Our long haired civilian clothes wearers in Berlin were next door to our barracks.[laugh]

Spent my last three months in a Casual company at Fort Meade.

Old wooden barracks........ across the alley from the back doors of the CID building.

We used to sit on the steps and drink beer, watching all these "hippie" guy's show up at the end of the day...sneaking up the back steps!

One day, we decided to sit out there with cameras and take pictures of them....[rolleyes]

That was a very stupid move!

They arrested all of us and harassed us all night before they let us go![rofl][rofl]

Hard to believe Devens had an SF Group in residence less than 20 years ago. As I've only known Devens as an RFTA, seeing artifacts and pictures of the post in it's heyday would be quite interesting.

Hard to believe Devens had an SF Group in residence less than 20 years ago. As I've only known Devens as an RFTA, seeing artifacts and pictures of the post in it's heyday would be quite interesting.

They were there when I was there in 1969. I could tell you a good story about them, but it would hijack this thread![smile]

Spent my last three months in a Casual company at Fort Meade.

Old wooden barracks........ across the alley from the back doors of the CID building.

We used to sit on the steps and drink beer, watching all these "hippie" guy's show up at the end of the day...sneaking up the back steps!

One day, we decided to sit out there with cameras and take pictures of them....[rolleyes]

That was a very stupid move!

They arrested all of us and harassed us all night before they let us go![rofl][rofl]

Well, we would have fun when we had CQ, and get a newbie that was drunk and in the wrong barracks, well lets just say we would send them next door, and they would be greeted with a pistol in their face and oh so much more fun.
Our buses were always posted that they were going to T-Berg and invariably we would get someone who would realize they were on the wrong bus and headed to the hill, needless to say we would have loads of fun with them too and they would be hiding under the seats about crapping themselves.[laugh]
Berlin Brigade never knew what to do with us cause they didn't quite understand what we did up there and they were always wanting us to play their little games.[laugh]

Hi,
Thank you all for the information and helpful tips.

I am putting out the word for volunteers to help at the museum.
and 5,000 trifold flyers have been printed up for distribution.

And, starting this month, the museum will be open the third
Saturday of the month, from 10:00 am to 3:00pm. Staffed by
volunteers.

I have a meeting with MassDevelopment on 21 January to request
more space in the building so the museum can expand.

Thank you for you interest

Doug

Hi,
Thank you all for the information and helpful tips.

I am putting out the word for volunteers to help at the museum.
and 5,000 trifold flyers have been printed up for distribution.

And, starting this month, the museum will be open the third
Saturday of the month, from 10:00 am to 3:00pm. Staffed by
volunteers.

I have a meeting with MassDevelopment on 21 January to request
more space in the building so the museum can expand.

Thank you for you interest

Doug

Hi Doug

That's great news.[grin]

Your website needs to be updated about opening one day a month.

Could your have your flier put on the website as a pdf so we could download
and print a copy?

What are your plans for getting the fliers out to the public?

My ideas would be to mail 2 fliers to every Gun Club in New England so both sides of the fliers could be posted for members to see.

Gun Stores, send some to the USS Salem in Quincy, The USS Massachusetts in Fall River Ma. and the links below

Some Places to go and visit in Massachusetts[grin]

http://www.maritimemuseums.net/MA.html

http://www.museumofworldwarii.com/index.htm

http://www.gu.ng.mil/sites/MA/resources/museum/default.aspx

http://www.higgins.org/

http://www.museumca.org/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/museumca/usa_search.cgi?state=ma

http://www.essexheritage.org/sites/grand_army_museum.shtml

http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

Hi,
The museum has recently hired a web designer/programer to repair the museum website, as it was a mess. It should be repaired this week, so that all the pages open correctly.
Once that is done, the museum will have an access key to make changes anytime I want them made, right from the museum computer. My plan is to put more information on the website, including a newsletter, and the flyer and updated news. I will be working on this project.
As flyers go,
I, along with several volunteers, have been passing out flyers almost every day, to everyone. And, doing mailings as well. 300 mailings were sent out a couple weeks ago.
And a mailing was sent out on Friday to the VFW Posts.
The local newspapers are now onboard, so articles have been printed, which I am
grateful for.
I have to be careful, since MassDevelopment has cut off all operational funding,
the small amount of funds coming in does not pay for the printing and stamps necessary
to do all the mailings I would like.
In time, as the funds come in, I will get down the list of those to mail flyers to.

Doug

Good job Doug.

I found this Newspaper story.

http://www.nashobapublishing.com/devens_news/ci_17034310

Retired CSM recalls Ft. Devens and a long military career
By M.E. Jones, Correspondent
Posted: 01/07/2011 07:37:32 AM EST

DEVENS -- At an Open House at the Fort Devens Museum, Trustee Charles Gordon introduced guest speaker Robert Delia of Pepperell as a "soldier's soldier" who became a "veterans' veteran."

Delia was a command sergeant major in the U.S. Army at Fort Devens when he retired 32 years ago, concluding a 30-year military career. Still a commanding figure today at 83, it seems fitting when old comrades call him "sergeant major." Fellow members of the Combat Infantrymen's Association, Inc., New England Regiment, for example.

Band of brothers

Interviewed at an Association meeting at Devens several years ago, Delia and other veterans who served with him in Vietnam said their war experiences were similar to those depicted in the TV mini series "Band of Brothers" and that the title fit them, too. Borrowing the banner, they pegged Delia for the character played by actor Mel Gibson.

In his recent talk at the museum, Delia sketched his military resume and shared career highlights. He served in Korea and Vietnam and was stationed at Fort Devens three times. During his final stint, he was the top non-commissioned officer on the base.

Read rest of article at link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to believe Devens had an SF Group in residence less than 20 years ago.

Another cool thing was they sponsored the base's cub scout/boy scout troops. We got to do a bunch of cool stuff, like play with all the gear.

4983_524108625370_41903391_31149175_3007723_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom