Fort Devens Museum

Someone (ex-MIL preferred) should put together a NES Tour of the museum!

My late Father was discharged after WWII from Devens . . . from a <records> non-existent unit. [shocked]

I remember him telling me that while in that unit, they could not wear any unit patch. But I've asked Martlet and the Director of the Ft. Devens Museum if they had any info on the unit and never was able to find any info. His records were allegedly destroyed in the fire that took out a lot of WWII Vet records.

Hi,
When the base closed in 1996, all personell and unit records that were at the army operated museum were turned over to the army, either other museums or the army archives. The present Fort Devens Museum does not have much in the way of official records.

You might try:
The US Army Hertiage Education Center
Registrar Collection Management
Gregory Statler
950 Soldiers Drive
Carlisle Barracks
Carisle, PA 17013-5021
# (717) 245-3094
email: [email protected]
or
Rodney Foytik
Reference Historian
same address
(717) 245-3749
email: [email protected]

Provide them with as much information as you have on your father.
Maybe they have something in their archives.

And
Thank you for your father's service to this great country.

Doug

Someone (ex-MIL preferred) should put together a NES Tour of the museum!

My late Father was discharged after WWII from Devens . . . from a <records> non-existent unit. [shocked]

I remember him telling me that while in that unit, they could not wear any unit patch. But I've asked Martlet and the Director of the Ft. Devens Museum if they had any info on the unit and never was able to find any info. His records were allegedly destroyed in the fire that took out a lot of WWII Vet records.

I would but who knows when we'd be down that way again.[laugh] We swing through when we are in the area.

I live closer than Mrs WW and I never get up to Ayer.
I miss Devens, though. I was only there 6 weeks for my OJT @ Cutler, but made many friends and memories, there.

I live closer than Mrs WW and I never get up to Ayer.
I miss Devens, though. I was only there 6 weeks for my OJT @ Cutler, but made many friends and memories, there.

Wow! A ghost from the past. I hope all is well with you and Family.

I wasn't suggesting that Mrs. WW do this, best to be someone who lives nearby Devens. I'm sure that there would be plenty of interest in a tour from NES'rs. I've only been there once, working security for an airshow (the last one held there IIRC) that a former co-worker was involved in organizing.

Doug (and Sue) thanks for the suggestions. I will follow up with both places and see what shakes out. I have a scanned copy of his DD214, so that should be a decent starting point.

I visited the museum this afternoon with my son while he is home from college. I have lived in the area my entire life and have been interested in the history of the base.

The museum is good size room with a lot of photos and history of what life was like on the base. The best part was retired CSM Delia was there and gave us an overview of his time there and the items on display. It gave us a true sense of the history. It was similar to the time his Cub Scout pack stayed over on the USS Massachusetts and Armand Vigeant gave them a talk of his time on the ship.

my father was an instructor at the ASA school in Devens, wife and I made it east last year to visit the old stomping grounds.. the School and the parade grounds are eerie, all boarded up windows and no one around. Really took me back though

Hi,
No, sorry to say that there is not much about the intel school at Fort Devens.
A few photos that have been enlarged for display.

A few other items from the ASA School, like patches, a sign, etc.

My dad was an instructor. He has a bunch of old ASA and Intel stuff from Devens if you are looking for things like that.

Hi,
Yes, the museum is seeking items from the ASA school at Fort Devens.
There is a very small display case with a few ASA items right now.
A few patches and some photos is about it.
I would like to expand that display.

If you have any items that are Fort Devens ASA school related,
or any items associated with Fort Devens, the museum could use them.

Here is the museum website for information:

http://www.fortdevensmuseum.org/

Thanks,
Doug

Back
Top Bottom