Found a bent firing pin in a new complete bolt carrier group I bought a month ago.

Uzi2

NES Member
The firing pin was hanging up the last 1/32 of an inch when inserted into the bolt tail.
When rotated, it was clearly visible through the firing pin hole that is was spinning eccentrically and not concentrically.

Here's a video representation of exactly what I ran into. Not my video but shows the problem clearly.

View: https://youtu.be/GKCODnjYezU?si=0kZPC1ywmu6aaDhU

What brand? I trust you have spare firing pins just in case? Hope the vendor sends you a new straight one….

This does beg the question, what else may be slightly out of spec on this BCG??
It's an Anderson nitride finish.......not a BLEM. (Bring on the Bolt snobs) [laugh]
I checked that firing pin in 6 other spare bolts......same results it's the firing pin that is bent at the tip. It happens.
Everything else on it is fine. The dimensions are fine, the gas key is straight and well staked and seals, bolt tail seals great, the extractor hook is sharp and cut properly.
I put in a new spare firing pin, dropped it in a rifle and fired off 150 rounds out back without any issues.

One slightly bent firing pin doesn't condemn a whole brand, and yes a new one is being sent.

Top 5 Best AR-15 BCG Bolt Carrier Group Reviews​

1. Brownells – M16 Mil-Spec MP/HPT Bolt Carrier Group
  2. Spikes Tactical – M16 5.56 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group
  3. WMD Guns – AR-15 5.56 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Groups
  4. Anderson Manufacturing – M16 5.56 Bolt Carrier Group
  5. Spikes Tactical – M16 5.56 Bolt Carrier Group

Last edited:

It was my first thought. That had to be the DUMBEST scene in that movie. And it was full of dumb scenes. Mahhky-Mahhk as BLS is just. . . . well, I think Cruise can pull of Reacher better. ROFL!!!

The thing was full of dumb scenes. Him blowing the power on the store and asking for 82 random items to be purchased, paid in cash, in teh dark. And the lady had no issues???? C'mon.

It's an Anderson nitride finish.......not a BLEM. (Bring on the Bolt snobs) [laugh]
I checked that firing pin in 6 other spare bolts......same results it's the firing pin that is bent at the tip. It happens.
Everything else on it is fine. The dimensions are fine, the gas key is straight and well staked and seals, bolt tail seals great, the extractor hook is sharp and cut properly.
I put in a new spare firing pin, dropped it in a rifle and fired off 150 rounds out back without any issues.

One slightly bent firing pin doesn't condemn a whole brand, and yes a new one is being sent.

Top 5 Best AR-15 BCG Bolt Carrier Group Reviews​

1. Brownells – M16 Mil-Spec MP/HPT Bolt Carrier Group
  2. Spikes Tactical – M16 5.56 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group
  3. WMD Guns – AR-15 5.56 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Groups
  4. Anderson Manufacturing – M16 5.56 Bolt Carrier Group
  5. Spikes Tactical – M16 5.56 Bolt Carrier Group
I didn’t condemn any brand! Don’t throw baby out with bath water! Just suggested further inspection of the rest of the BCG and it seems you’ve done so and all is well!!

I love Nib coated BCGs, I have a few, aim surplus, etc. gtg!

Last edited:
It was my first thought. That had to be the DUMBEST scene in that movie. And it was full of dumb scenes. Mahhky-Mahhk as BLS is just. . . . well, I think Cruise can pull of Reacher better. ROFL!!!

The thing was full of dumb scenes. Him blowing the power on the store and asking for 82 random items to be purchased, paid in cash, in teh dark. And the lady had no issues???? C'mon.
But his spotters widow was cute

I didn’t condemn any brand! Don’t throw baby out with bath water! Just suggested further inspection of the rest of the BCG and it seems you’ve done so and all is well!!

I live Nib coated BCGs, I have a few, sun surplus, etc. gtg!
Ya, that wasn't directed towards you, but just a general statement for those who love to throw around the "skinflint" comments. ;) I've got a few Nib BCGs as well and no issues with them.

My whole point of sharing the experience was because there's likely very few on this board who've run into the problem or seen how it presents itself. I've seen a couple of bent firing pins before but they were usually bent much worse from being stepped on and wouldn't go into a bolt any more than half way.
The bend on this one is so subtle at the tip that without knowing how it presents itself, many might not notice it.

File it under "diagnostics" [smile]

But his spotters widow was cute

She was a flash in the pan. She did that and House of Cards. Then. . . . . . . damn, I just searched IMDB. I'd have thought Shooter and HoC were back to back. They weren't. WTF???? How does she not get roles? Did she sleep with teh wrong producer? Complete nutjob on the set? Looked great and acted decent. I thought HoC would have skyrocketed her career. It was the FIRST Netflix series. And it was HUGE! I read something yesterday that the week that HOC:S2 came out, Netflix sucked up 45% of all internet bandwidth. LOL

She was a flash in the pan. She did that and House of Cards. Then. . . . . . . damn, I just searched IMDB. I'd have thought Shooter and HoC were back to back. They weren't. WTF???? How does she not get roles? Did she sleep with teh wrong producer? Complete nutjob on the set? Looked great and acted decent. I thought HoC would have skyrocketed her career. It was the FIRST Netflix series. And it was HUGE! I read something yesterday that the week that HOC:S2 came out, Netflix sucked up 45% of all internet bandwidth. LOL
Never seen HOC

Never seen HOC

It didn't age as well as I had hoped. But damn. Watching it for the first time - shockingly good. The cast was amazing. The plot was fantastic. Kate Mara was hot. By S3, it got out of control. But that first season was groundbreaking. You really got a sense of how Congress worked as well.

Back
Top Bottom