Free float vs standard handguard strength

I cant decide if i want a floating handguard. Ive studied both the quad rail with "front post endcap mounting" (excuse my description) and floating handguards INTENSLY! I currently have a quad rail. I want all the benefits of a floating handguard. Im kind of a dork and like the idea of jabbing bad dudes in the forehead if it ever came down to it. Ive hit things with my setup and its solid. My quadrail with a vertical grip is like a steel spear that i dont think i could ever break or bend. Does anyone see this kind of strength with a high quality floating handguard with a vertical grip. It seems impossible to me do to design simply.

Quad rails are, generally speaking, heavier and bulkier than newer m-lok and key mod free float hand guards.
It’s hard to generalize with all the different options out there but having two points of attachment (standard sight post style) vs only one with a free float, may, in certain situations, be stronger than the free float. You can add accessories to all sorts of hand guards, I have a VFG on one of my front sight post style hand guards. It’s stout.

I cant decide if i want a floating handguard. Ive studied both the quad rail with "front post endcap mounting" (excuse my description) and floating handguards INTENSLY! I currently have a quad rail. I want all the benefits of a floating handguard. Im kind of a dork and like the idea of jabbing bad dudes in the forehead if it ever came down to it. Ive hit things with my setup and its solid. My quadrail with a vertical grip is like a steel spear that i dont think i could ever break or bend. Does anyone see this kind of strength with a high quality floating handguard with a vertical grip. It seems impossible to me do to design simply.
Magpul makes a rifle length handguard with M-lok holes. Pairs well with the A2 front sight/gas barrel. They are not free-float however (slips on delta ring)
1579641383255.png

I don't think any free-float system will be as inherently strong as a 2 piece hand guard simply because a it doesn't have the steel barrel to reinforce and distribute load from end to end (receiver on one side, barrel on the other). Trade off being lesser accuracy from not allowing the barrel to move and preserve harmonics, from what I have read.

Most modern receivers and handguards are aircraft grade aluminum. Tensile strength in the 40k+ PSI range. However, given the free float design of just being attached at the receiver, the design is subject to the weakness of mechanical advantage for bending/warping/deforming the further away from the attachment point. Could be an issue with full length (16" or greater). I doubt people would ever cause failure just firing a gun with this design, but for use as a bludgeoning tool......not so sure at that point. Maybe go free float and stick to buttstroking?

Thanks for the replys! That magpul handguard is a neat way to get mlok. Im looking to extend my grip mostly and slim the handguard down. I think im going to stick to the quadrail. Has anyone ever bent a floating handguard??

You might have to make it fit if your not running rifle length or see if they will custom fit one.
You cound mount anything you want to this.
drop in hand guards, custom mount rails ......
You could weld a steel pipe to it for your verticle grip and use it as a pick axe.

Put a Geissele rail on it.
They are easy to install, well made and reasonably priced.

I have one on my DMR rifle.
They are very strong and help if you are looking to get the best accuracy out of a barrel.

I’ve just installed one of the new JP rifle MK3 handguards. And playing with it, attempting to get deflection that’s noticeable has been largely unsuccessful. I seriously like the texture and smallish diameter of it.

on the other hand, the AR I did up for my gf, uses a handguard from offhand gear, I can get a tiny teeny bit of deflection on. But that requires more force and leverage than is reasonable short of splitting kindling with the rifle like an axe. So yes the engineer in me says that a standard style handguard “might” possibly be stronger. But in practice, I haven’t been able to prove it to myself. I guess there is a reason the NM setup A2 rifles have a free float tube under the standard looking handguard.

Here is girlfriend’s “pretty” rifle. She is super happy with. And offhand gear is a pleasure to interact with. Though a tad more spendy than I was expecting. But end result is worth all I spent on it.
23E2FD98-BD11-4B25-AF3B-57637A413161.jpeg 6B0651C7-55F0-42B2-91F1-40423263DD13.jpeg 95FFFD2F-82EB-4651-8EAD-3E7A5C6AECBF.jpeg 8303F3CE-D973-4C2E-AACF-05516E709C69.jpeg

I will add in. As I’ve been thinking about this. The “old school” 2 piece handguards are held on with spring tension from the delta ring. Whereas the free float tubes are screwed/bolted/attached to the physical barrel but. It does result in a much stiffer setup. Yes I know about the hybrid I’d options, I’m just comparing the two directly. I think Katie’s gets a bit of deflection due to the amount of material removed.

Thats a clean looking rifle. Pmags and rifles built after monica was famous. I need to get OUTTA HERE!

Come on out to Tucson! We have cookies. Real estate is much more reasonable, and lots of tech startups.

I cant decide if i want a floating Im kind of a dork and like the idea of jabbing bad dudes in the forehead if it ever came down to it. Ive hit things with my setup and its solid. My quadrail with a vertical grip is like a steel spear that i dont think i could ever break or bend.
Shoot better and you won't have to worry about bayoneting them.

I cant see a reason not to always free float especially with optics that fixed to your upper... stuff not touching the barrel is always better for heat transfer and for accuracy.
Most of the quality options out there are not going to get bent under normal use. Also if you are going to thump someone or punch a window it will be with the barrel.
Which by the way is a reason not to get a handguard that completely swallows up your barrel, which is a real consideration if you going to be shooting from inside a vehicle.
Extra rigidity of a free floated handguard becomes a consideration if you are hanging a laser off the end of your handguard and using that as your primary aiming device (NODS) which is really only a problem if you are loading heavily on your handguard. Like lots have mentioned the Geissele rails at excellent and built a little more beefy with rigidity in mind. The Mk14 is my favorite. I also really like the BCM MCMR. If you have a delta ring and FSP gas block set up the Daniel Defence Omega rail is a free float that locks into the barrel nut and has that SOPMOD block 2 flair.

I need that rose rail. Looks super fun!

The specific hand guard.

You are welcome. If you look close at the base of the hand guard there is also a stag. Hence stag and roses theme.
They do a matching rifle bag as well. They are 2 hours north of me. And as I said, a total pleasure to work with.

Bottom line up front: Get a free float rail.

You should be more interested in a heavy barrel if you're intending to jab the muzzle into things. And you'll use the benefits of a free float rail much more frequently than muzzle stroking bad guys in the face.

I've seen guys get smacked with M4 muzzles, either due to non-compliance or just because they were surprised to see a fire team bust through their door and they couldn't move in time before they got put on their ass with non-lethal force. The rigidity of the barrel is more important. than plastic handguards being connected on two ends vs handguards not touching at all.

That said, unless you're clearing rooms in the military, there will almost never be a reason to do it. As a civilian, please for the love of god, don't intentionally get within striking range of a bad guy when you have a carbine.

My only concern is the force against the foregrip. Ive herd rumors of free floats getting dented and i like the idea of being able to beat up my gun without worrying about denting it.

My only concern is the force against the foregrip. Ive herd rumors of free floats getting dented and i like the idea of being able to beat up my gun without worrying about denting it.
Then the steel tube National Match style would do you well

Then don’t get a light free float handguard. Personally, I like the rigidity of wedgelock rails like Triarc. And if you want to “slim down”, the Triarc handguard is the way to go. It’s very slim. But there are many options out there.
Or, go with a quadrail free float handguard. The BCM quad rail isn’t too heavy, and is more affordable than beefier mlok rails, but it’s still rather tough.

Willing to spend more money? Look at the Geissele Mk7 or Daniel Defense RIS II. They’ll be more durable than you’d ever need.

But really, if you want a quad rail, just get a BCM QRF(quad rail) and call it a day. I have the 12” one on my Service Rifle for competition and it’s really sturdy. Sturdier than my previous Larue Tactical handguard.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom