• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Free stamp?

So, my son submitted a Form 1 to build/make an SBR from an 80% lower. Everything went as planned, he submitted his eform, got the "pending research" then a few days later got the notification of a status change to "Submitted" and then he asks me "hey dad, when do I pay my tax stamp?"

Whut? I don't know how he even made it through the eform to submit without paying the $200?

He emailed me the PDF that was attached to his notification email and I looked it over, looks good and he clearly wrote "Short barreled rifle" on the form. My thought is that the eform system confused his application for the pistol brace amnesty or whatever is going on with that. He went back into eforms to try and pay but he took a screen shot of the page/pop up that stated "Payment not applicable with this submission" or something to that affect.

So, I highly doubt the ATF is waiving the NFA tax, but what gives? Can he go in and cancell that application and re-do it? What would be most productive moving forward? I mean, he can wait it out and its either going to be denied when the error is found, or somehow get approved, but then he doesn't want to be afoul of anything in todays climate.

thoughts?

If he went to the dedicated Eforms-1 "amnesty" site then it will not ask for payment. eForms

He would have to initiate the application from the standard Eforms site and provide payment information to pay the tax. eForms

That said, if he goes into his eforms account I think he would be able to locate his submission and then withdraw the application. Click on "submitted / In process" on the left side under "my forms" and click on it:
1683292260711.png

Then click on "Form 1" and submitted forms should appear.
1683292508766.png

On the far right, click on the little paper with the red X icon. This will initiate a withdrawal of the submitted form so he can start over.

If he went to the dedicated Eforms-1 "amnesty" site then it will not ask for payment. eForms

He would have to initiate the application from the standard Eforms site and provide payment information to pay the tax. eForms

That said, if he goes into his eforms account I think he would be able to locate his submission and then withdraw the application. Click on "submitted / In process" on the left side under "my forms" and click on it:
View attachment 749606

Then click on "Form 1" and submitted forms should appear.
View attachment 749608

On the far right, click on the little paper with the red X icon. This will initiate a withdrawal of the submitted form so he can start over.
Thank you very much, very well explained. Didn't think there would be a similar, but different eform site for the amnesty. He would easily miss that as its his first go-round with eforms so he probably thought all was square.

Thanks again.

ETA: I passed this info along to my son and it is exactly as you described. He went to the correct site, and successfully paid for and submitted his Form 1 and cancelled the previous one.

Last edited:
My buddy just did his first form one and it never gave him an option to pay (iirc a few weeks ago we tried and the "submit to pay" option was grayed out after putting in his CC number...)
See the explanation above. My son experienced the same thing. Did as described and it went through correctly (paid) just fine.

Back
Top Bottom