• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Friend applying first time for an LTC with a 30yr old incident.

Go in like a trusting naïf and there are two potential outcomes:
  • Get lucky
  • Get boned

You left one out:
  • Get lucky only because the old records aren't digitized, buy a lot of guns'n'ammo for half a dozen years, apply for renewal, and get boned because the second search finds the old case that the original search missed.

He should apply for his FBI file.

Google that.
He has to be honest and disclose. Sealing never helps with licensing.
Agreed. Even if he is not federally prohibited, a chief or LO could deny him as "unsuitable" for LTC. This happened to me. All is not lost; apply for FID instead. Much more difficult to deny. I took the additional step of having my fingerprints worked on. Jill's friend, a permanent makeup artist, used a rotary tattoo machine and shader needles without ink. Permanently altered my fingerprints right down to the third knuckle. She made sure that she got the sides also, since police take rolled prints. I was able to pass several fingerprint background checks for employment, including my current position.

I’m under the impression that nothing is ever truly “Sealed”
Sealed is sealed from some but not others. Even expungement, where it's available, isn't 100%. if they search for arrest records they won't see an expunged conviction, but the arrest record will still be there. And it doesn't matter what a judge tells you, I've got a court ruling that all records, with any agency, of a previous ruling, be destroyed. It's very specific. (they wanted to cover a mistake) But did that happen NOPE. And my own lawyer at the time said to not even bother trying.

The reality is, even if you do everything right, you can get caught up in the system and regardless of the outcome, you're labeled for life..... unless you're wealthy enough to buy you way out. Or you're a celebrity football player. Same thing really.

Agreed. Even if he is not federally prohibited, a chief or LO could deny him as "unsuitable" for LTC. This happened to me. All is not lost; apply for FID instead. Much more difficult to deny. I took the additional step of having my fingerprints worked on. Jill's friend, a permanent makeup artist, used a rotary tattoo machine and shader needles without ink. Permanently altered my fingerprints right down to the third knuckle. She made sure that she got the sides also, since police take rolled prints. I was able to pass several fingerprint background checks for employment, including my current position.
What types of jobs did you apply for that required fingerprint background checks?

I think in some states you're protected by "legal fiction" and don't have to disclose a sealed case. In MA, they'll find out everything from the day you were born.
When the police look at your record, it lists unsealed records first, then sealed records noting that they are sealed.

Private investigation work in Alabama, TWIC ID, USCG 100 ton license and (after college and graduate school) employment with a Boston-area company with government contracts.
So.....what would your fingerprints show if they were not altered?

So.....what would your fingerprints show if they were not altered?
BCD from USMC. Refused anthrax vaccine. Got arrested, prosecuted, jailed for 30 days and BCD. Family was concerned that future job prospects would be bleak. Macy did a great job with the tattoo machine. Sure, there was pain, bleeding and
some epidermal scarring but it was worth it. My prints no longer match those on my FBI rap sheet.

BCD from USMC. Refused anthrax vaccine. Got arrested, prosecuted, jailed for 30 days and BCD. Family was concerned that future job prospects would be bleak. Macy did a great job with the tattoo machine. Sure, there was pain, bleeding and
some epidermal scarring but it was worth it. My prints no longer match those on my FBI rap sheet.
So I assume you are lying on the application forms about your dishonorable discharge? Nice. 🙄

So I assume you are lying on the application forms about your dishonorable discharge? Nice. 🙄
BCD is not dishonorable. DD is federal disqualifier. I got Alabama pistol license and MA FID no problem. The questions that I had to answer were whether I was ever convicted of a felony, which is no. Only MA, on Question 10, asks about all adult court appearances, whether guilty, innocent or outright dismissal. Nobody else seemed to care. MA has a rather peculiar "may issue" and "suitability" rule that hoplophobic police chiefs like to exploit.

What is interesting is even if you have your record sealed in Mass when they run the FBI fingerprint check, more likely then not the full case info will come up on it. They don't seem to seal it or remove it from the FBI files.

BCD is not dishonorable. DD is federal disqualifier. I got Alabama pistol license and MA FID no problem. The questions that I had to answer were whether I was ever convicted of a felony, which is no. Only MA, on Question 10, asks about all adult court appearances, whether guilty, innocent or outright dismissal. Nobody else seemed to care. MA has a rather peculiar "may issue" and "suitability" rule that hoplophobic police chiefs like to exploit.
So why wipe your fingerprints if they didn't ask about your discharge? Seems strange if your fingerprints would only show a fed record for a bcd.....which you claim is not a problem.

OP is this your first day here? Never ask a question on NES! Want to know if someone likes your new 1911? Delete the thread immediately and ask a firearms attorney ASAP!

Seriously though, tell your friend to apply and be honest because they will see it when they run him. Either he is eligible or he isn’t. If he is denied, THEN shit the money for a lawyer.

What is interesting is even if you have your record sealed in Mass when they run the FBI fingerprint check, more likely then not the full case info will come up on it. They don't seem to seal it or remove it from the FBI files.

Sealing only pertains to public record. CORI or FBI records are most likely not considered "public record" because you have to specifically request the information and get approval to obtain copies. It's not as simple as just entering a search query on some state or Federal website with the person's name. But that being said, in MA, CORI reports are rather easy to obtain and some employers actually use them in HR.

Speaking about possibly needing an attorney

Private investigation work in Alabama, TWIC ID, USCG 100 ton license and (after college and graduate school) employment with a Boston-area company with government contracts.

College and grad school and your on a public forum telling people you altered your fingerprints for a gun permit and government job, and Uscg 100 ton license?? Yeap wonder if it's to late to get my kids into the volk....I hear they teach common sense 101 to freshmen

Last edited:
College and grad school and your on a public forum telling people you altered your fingerprints for a gun permit and government job, and Uscg 100 ton license?? Yeap wonder if it's to late to get my kids into the volk....I hear they teach common sense 101 to freshmen
His next response will be how he didn't alter them for the gun license in mass......that the chief only gave him an FID because of the opinion of the bcd. So that it makes it ok.🤣

Seriously though, tell your friend to apply and be honest because they will see it when they run him.
Either he is eligible or he isn’t. If he is denied, THEN shit the money for a lawyer.
Lawyers always say,
"I hate cleaning up me$$e$ because people didn't come to me first".
Good-Fellas-Hilarious.jpg

So why wipe your fingerprints if they didn't ask about your discharge? Seems strange if your fingerprints would only show a fed record for a bcd.....which you claim is not a problem.
Police are increasingly using fingerprint scanners. Why help them to access something negative about yourself? This all happened over 20 years ago, well before 9/11. Things have changed a lot since then; not for the better!

His next response will be how he didn't alter them for the gun license in mass......that the chief only gave him an FID because of the opinion of the bcd. So that it makes it ok.🤣
They were altered in Louisiana, many years before I moved here. Yes, LO used the "suitability" bullshit to deny LTC; another example of how this "may issue" authority has been abused for many decades, from what I have been reading here and the GOAL website. Well, really doesn't matter. Jill and I have all of the rifles and shotguns that we need. Our small gun safe is packed from top to bottom. No room for any more anyhow.

I love the part in this clip
where Walter White puts his fingerprints all over
the shrink wrap on the equipment in the meth lab
that he has not yet agreed to run.

Meanwhile, I avoid fondling 30 round PMAGs in NH,
lest some clown bring one back to Mass
and my prints get lifted from the discarded wrapper at their club.

Last edited:
Speaking about possibly needing an attorney

Private industry, government contracts. I do not work for the government and my sailing days are nothing but a distant memory. I worked the bay boats out of Mobile with 6 pack licenses and Gulf vessels that held more than twice as many. The boss paid for the 100T license; he insisted all of his mates hold one in case of an emergency.

Sealing only pertains to public record. CORI or FBI records are most likely not considered "public record" because you have to specifically request the information and get approval to obtain copies. It's not as simple as just entering a search query on some state or Federal website with the person's name. But that being said, in MA, CORI reports are rather easy to obtain and some employers actually use them in HR.
FBI now offers "RAP BACK", which can easily derail a career. Costs employers very little to enroll. Only a one-time application fee. Google that one. Frightening indeed. Part of the NGI program that the FBI introduced a few years ago.

Check out the FBI's latest gem, "RAP BACK". It is part of their NGI program. Potential job and career killer if there ever was one. It is fingerprint-based. Glad that Macy destroyed mine. She did me a huge favor.

Back
Top Bottom