• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Galils for sale?

Just got back from Colombia and military was out in force toting really cool looking Galils. Got me wondering, with all the AK variants, why we never see them around here. Heard good things about them and would mind supporting a free county like Israel instead of Putin's mob

I don't know if anyone has made a ban configuration. Century had a model called the Golani; you always could have the stock pinned, lug neutered and flash hider changed out I guess if you really wanted one.

Last edited:
Just got back from Colombia and military was out in force toting really cool looking Galils. Got me wondering, with all the AK variants, why we never see them around here. Heard good things about them and would mind supporting a free county like Israel instead of Putin's mob

You see them for sale every now and again, very nice rifles (heavy though).

i always see galils at the NH gun shows. buy one there and have it neutered by acme, or by the FFL selling it if they offer the "service".

Ex-wife is Colombian. When I was in Pereira, Colombia, I asked a Colombian MP what he though of the Galil. He prefers the M16. More accurate, he says. American rifle numero uno! The only Galil that I found to be privately owned is at Neptune in Haverhill. Myron Cohen owns it and it is on display along with a Hi-Standard 12 gauge bullpup semi-auto shotgun.

I don't know if anyone has made a ban configuration. Century had a model called the Golani; you always could have the stock pinned, lug neutered and flash hider changed out I guess if you really wanted one.

My neighbor has a Century Galil that came brand new out of headspace.

Roll that around for a moment.

And good luck finding mags.

There's a gentleman in Tennessee by the name of Jeff Miller that does great work on the Galil platform. If you want one, it'll cost you, but he is highly reputed. To my understanding, he also will work on Century Golanis and turn them into respectable firearms.

It's because shooting 5.56 out of an AK variant is kinda stupid. (from a cost perspective). 5.45 x 39 is way more popular, and for good reason. Mags are way more common too.

-Mike

It's because shooting 5.56 out of an AK variant is kinda stupid. (from a cost perspective). 5.45 x 39 is way more popular, and for good reason. Mags are way more common too.

-Mike
More than that, Mike. The Soviet 7.62X39 round is designed for maximum performance out of a 16" barrel. The much lighter 5.56 needs barrel length to gain the velocity in order to be effective at anything beyond 75 yards or so. That is why the M16 was originally equipped with a 20" barrel. That little round needs max speed to be effective. Out of a 16" or even shorter barrel, its performance is sub-par. Maybe that is why the USMC stuck with the 20" barrel M16, even after the Army went with the 14" M4 carbine.

More than that, Mike. The Soviet 7.62X39 round is designed for maximum performance out of a 16" barrel. The much lighter 5.56 needs barrel length to gain the velocity in order to be effective at anything beyond 75 yards or so. That is why the M16 was originally equipped with a 20" barrel. That little round needs max speed to be effective. Out of a 16" or even shorter barrel, its performance is sub-par. Maybe that is why the USMC stuck with the 20" barrel M16, even after the Army went with the 14" M4 carbine.

Yeah, but most gun buyers aren't thinking that deeply. They're thinking "I wanna blow shit up at the range what is the most fun way to do it that won't break the bank".

I'm drifting here a bit, but the terminal effects of the -right- ammo in 5.56 NATO are pretty decent at limited range. The military's problem with 5.56 NATO is because of this weird obsession with M855 ball. That's why you're seeing different types of ammo appearing now, for military use and otherwise. (M855A1, MK262mod0/1, etc, etc...)

-Mike

Meh, seems like the special ops guys are pretty pleased with the results from 10.5" barrels. Of course they are using 70gr stuff.

Yeah, but most gun buyers aren't thinking that deeply. They're thinking "I wanna blow shit up at the range what is the most fun way to do it that won't break the bank".

I'm drifting here a bit, but the terminal effects of the -right- ammo in 5.56 NATO are pretty decent at limited range. The military's problem with 5.56 NATO is because of this weird obsession with M855 ball. That's why you're seeing different types of ammo appearing now, for military use and otherwise. (M855A1, MK262mod0/1, etc, etc...)

-Mike
Within 100 yards, I blew up a lot of "stuff" with my Mini 14 at my club's tactical range. It has an 18.5" stainless steel heavy barrel (I have one of the newer ones) and the accuracy is good. I just wish it had a full 20" barrel to get the max velocity out of the .223 rounds that I fire.

Back
Top Bottom