Garand or Carbine? Update post#40 Pics!

jpm

Trying to decide between picking up an M1 Carbine or Garand. Obvious answer is one of each but right now gotta chose between one or the other, so which and why?

m1 carbine is one fun shooter, kids/women can shoot it easy, light weight for hiking/hunting. low recoil but more stopping power than a 357 magnum.

only real deciding factor for me is where/when I can get range time. If your limited to say 50 yards or less a carbine to me would be more fun.
Right now I would order a M1 garand for 650.00 from the CMP. Most carbines are going to cost that if not more. Ammo cost are about the same, both can be reloaded with out much issue.
Its going to take about 6 months for the cmp to deliver a M1 if you order tomorrow. If you use a credit card it wont be charged until ready to ship. in those 6 months you can save and look for a M1 carbine
All in all I like shooting my garands better than my carbines....i actually have not shot my carbines in a long while cause I keep getting new garands or 03a3s or ......... I would not hesitate to buy another M1 carbine if a came across a nice one for a good price. Say a very good condition shooter grade for under 800.00

As you said, obviously both. At the moment it depends what you have to choose from. If you haven't started looking yet, CMP is slammed right now with minimal selection. The only real choice is a HRA service grade with a six month wait. Carbines might be an easier find locally; top dollar on the internet...and there are so many interesting makers to pick from.

T

Yeah I've filled out the paperwork for a CMP garand, knowing it'll be about 6 months before I get it. I'd typically be shooting no more than 100 yards, probably 75 or less most often. That's what got me thinking about the carbine.

Which version of the Carbine is preferred? Standard or Inland or National Postal, etc?

Which version of the Carbine is preferred? Standard or Inland or National Postal, etc?

Great question...

Also what is the best places to track one down?
LGS?
NES Classifieds ?(although I don't think I have ever seen one here)
IIRC they sometimes are offered for sale on the CMP forums?

I need to start rounding out my Garands with a carbine or two.

thanks.

Not so fast -

I picked up my IBM from a NESr earlier this summer who lived one town over; original owner ('08) of a CMP service grade. Now my son and I can shoot together.

As I got it with a M2 stock:

As restored with a correct IBM supplied SCB M1 stock that I repaired and refinished. Great Zombie Chihuahua killer:

I'm a lefty, so the pouch is reversed.
T

Last edited:
I think for a shooting Carbine it matter not what manufacture you get. I like the Rockola only cause of the name. Inland should be the least expensive by sheer numbers 2.6mil + or over 40% of the total production of M1 carbines. As for accuracy ? I dont think there was a accuracy requirement set by the army for the carbine or the ammo, my searches came up empty anyway. I can tell you off the rest over the crony aqilla hands down is the most accurate and consistent factory ammo out there. Both my Carbines will hold just under 4moa of the rest with aquilla 30car. My reloads are a tad better. On a good day I can keep my carbines in the black bulls eye of a SR1 target @ 100 yards shooting through the positions.
I purchased 1 carbine here on NES and another online as well. CMP forums is a good place to look but be fast as they sell in minutes. Local gun stores are hit or miss. Your best choice is Pack and Postal in lancaster ma, B&K guns in natick had some listed a while back the name escapes me at the moment but another shop in natick had 2 also.

Jeez this is like trying to choose which kid you like better....In reality both will be available at gunshops and online auction sites for a long time to come its the prices you will need to worry about. The Garand is apt to increase in price quicker as no more are likely to be imported. Carbines have been imported for years and the CMP hasn't had them for awhile. That and when in doubt always follow Pattons advise..."The M1 Garand is the greatest battle implement ever devised"

I would go with the Garand as once the CMP runs out the prices will sky rocket. You saw this with the Carbines. Carbine prices are somewhat stable at this point. $650 for a great rifle is a really go price any you will not find that price anywhere else. You can order the Garand, wait the months to get it and save for a Carbine during that time. IMHO

I think for a shooting Carbine it matter not what manufacture you get. I like the Rockola only cause of the name. Inland should be the least expensive by sheer numbers 2.6mil + or over 40% of the total production of M1 carbines. As for accuracy ? I dont think there was a accuracy requirement set by the army for the carbine or the ammo, my searches came up empty anyway. I can tell you off the rest over the crony aqilla hands down is the most accurate and consistent factory ammo out there. Both my Carbines will hold just under 4moa of the rest with aquilla 30car. My reloads are a tad better. On a good day I can keep my carbines in the black bulls eye of a SR1 target @ 100 yards shooting through the positions.
I purchased 1 carbine here on NES and another online as well. CMP forums is a good place to look but be fast as they sell in minutes. Local gun stores are hit or miss. Your best choice is Pack and Postal in lancaster ma, B&K guns in natick had some listed a while back the name escapes me at the moment but another shop in natick had 2 also.

Thanks for the great info - what is a good price range for a carbine - I think $800 - $1000 ish depending on quality?

Thanks for the great info - what is a good price range for a carbine - I think $800 - $1000 ish depending on quality?
I think you need to decide how much your willing to spend?
But yes you should be able to find one in the 800.00-1000 range in the CMP service grade condition.
Look hard.

A good price range is $450-$650. Your price of $800-$100 is on the higher end. Realistic prices are about $650-$850. I personally can't see spending $800+ unless it's original. Thats me. I already have some So I want to spend less.

Garand is a real rifle chambered in a real rifle round. You will learn more about true rifle shooting with the Garand, if that is your goal.

The carbines are fun shooters and still have the classic military feel that your looking for in a milsurp gun but the garand by far is one of my favorite rifles and everyone should have one in their collection.

A good price range is $450-$650. Your price of $800-$100 is on the higher end. Realistic prices are about $650-$850. I personally can't see spending $800+ unless it's original. Thats me. I already have some So I want to spend less.

450-650 is a "good" price range....very hard to find in that range that will be a good shooter or better.
any in that price range you will have to jump ohh so very fast.

450-650 is a "good" price range....very hard to find in that range that will be a good shooter or better.
any in that price range you will have to jump ohh so very fast.

You can find them in that range. Search unclehenry's and armslist and you will find one. I found the Underwood I have for $550 on unclehenry's. And older gentleman was selling off his collection. It was a blue sky import but was in good condition and is a shooter. It did take me a month of searching to find it.

When searching armslist and unclehenrys, patience is key to getting a good price.

As to the debate, get the garand first as those prices will only increase. Carbine prices seem to have stabilized since the CMP ran out a few years back.

Yeah I'm definitely getting a service grade garand via CMP. LGS and gunbroker prices for garands are just silly, up to double CMP pricing for a comparable quality gun at LGS if they even have one. I have rarely seen any privately that are close to CMP pricing too so it'll be something to look forward to over the winter. I did happen to come across a nice carbine though that I plan to get. Hopefully next week at some point. No import marks and a good shooter with nice wood. Overall nice package at a fair price IMO. Thanks for the input!

Should be getting my carbine Thursday if UPS holds to their schedule. Can't wait to try it out! Already found some ammo at the LGS and ready to hit the range.

Any tips/tricks about the carbine I should know?

Should be getting my carbine Thursday if UPS holds to their schedule. Can't wait to try it out! Already found some ammo at the LGS and ready to hit the range.

Any tips/tricks about the carbine I should know?

You will probably want to buy a spring kit and replace the springs with new ones. I heard that some carbines an have issues if the recoil spring is well worn. Same is true on the Garand. The spring on my Garand was a full inch shorter than the new one I got. It functioned fine with the old spring but not every gun will. And they are cheap enough that it is something that should be done anyways. I haven't done it for my carbines yet but I intend to. I think I saw a kit for $17 on Brownells. The carbine is wicked simple to field strip. This is what I love most about the Garand and Carbine, they are extremely simple to field strip for cleaning.

Pickup a real sling USGI (new old stock, or used), the new repros suck. The button on mine didn't secure the sling and the damn thing nearly fell out while on my shoulder. I caught it in time but my heart skipped a beat when I felt (and heard) it going. Also pickup a stock ammo pouch for the authentic GI look. They are not called stock pouches officially because the GI's figured out a belt mag pouch would fit on the gun so they stuck one on it. Not all repros are good.

Not much else to say other than to clean and lube it and have fun.

Yeah the ammo pouch is something I'm already shopping for. Previous owner has a nice sling on it already so that was a plus.

Thanks for the tip on the springs. Didn't even think about them but they're cheap enough to do even if they don't need it. At least I'll know the condition of all of them once I'm done, and I'll know the gun even better which is always a good thing!

And I'm already shopping for dies so I can reload all the brass I'm going to empty this week.

Speaking of going thru brass, what do pre-ban mags typically go for? This one is coming with one vintage 15rd mag but want another one or two.

Mags are usually around $20. Don't pay more than $25. You can find them easily enough.

By the way I've never had to change a spring in any of my carbines or M1's. I'm not sure why everyone insists you need to do that. I suppose it's because it's spread all over the internet and if its on the internet it must be true. Certainly the companies that sell them aren't going to tell you not to replace them.

I found NOS in the wrap prebans for 15$ ea. My source is sold out but there are millions upon millions of pre ban carbine mags out there. i have seen them as low as 7$ ea. I think cmp is sold out?
New springs can help alot. be warned rebuilding the bolt can be tough with out the tool. youtube or how to section of the cmp forums......i do it with out the tools but its a bugger

I found NOS in the wrap prebans for 15$ ea. My source is sold out but there are millions upon millions of pre ban carbine mags out there. i have seen them as low as 7$ ea. I think cmp is sold out?
New springs can help alot. be warned rebuilding the bolt can be tough with out the tool. youtube or how to section of the cmp forums......i do it with out the tools but its a bugger

I second this. There is nothing like the feeling of looking for a tiny spring that went flying across the room. Especially when you have crap all over the place. I wish I had one of those clean boxes they use in bio labs the first time I did it...

Last edited:
I second this. There is nothing like the feeling of looking for a tiny spring that went flying across the room. Especially when you have crap all over the place. I with I had one of those clean boxes they use in bio labs the first time I did it...

QFT -- been there, done that --- Group buy on bio lab boxes ? [laugh]

I use a clear tote with hand holes cut out for those "new to me" jobs. keeps flinging to minimum.
its all fun....just have spares

Mags are usually around $20. Don't pay more than $25. You can find them easily enough.

By the way I've never had to change a spring in any of my carbines or M1's. I'm not sure why everyone insists you need to do that. I suppose it's because it's spread all over the internet and if its on the internet it must be true. Certainly the companies that sell them aren't going to tell you not to replace them.

I didn't have to change the op-rod spring on my Garand, it did function flawlessly. But when I did change the spring out I measured a 1 inch difference in the spring compared to the new one. The old spring was compressed 1 inch over the new. I haven't had a chance to shoot with the new spring yet but from what I've read there will be slightly less recoil with a new spring vs an old compressed one.

I wager I will see a similar difference in the springs on my Carbines.

It maybe you dont "need" to replace the springs. I have found that my garands function smoother and even sound better with a spring tune up. If you shoot your garands eventually something will let go.
extractors and springs are common.

Back
Top Bottom