• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Georgia Worker Fired For Packing Heat

in all fairness, and not to defend the reason why, but if the company had a rule against weapons at work (and most places do), she knew she was taking a risk by carrying at work. its unfortunate that Iron Mountain fired her over it though...
it will be interesting to see if the company policy was in fact breaking state law, as the lawyer seemed to indicate..

that's going to be a tough sell. I agree she has the right to carry, the proof in the pudding will be that she's off company property.

I'll have to try and follow this. Sounds very interesting.

It always bothered me how some people think that a person carrying a firearm for PERSONAL defense is somehow a danger to everyone around them.

From the sound of this she has a solid case.

The pistol was in her vehicle, not on her person. WTF is she supposed to do? Throw it away?

She also should be smarter about this. Like NEVER giving a ride to a co-worker if there is a firearm in your vehicle.

The pistol was in her vehicle, not on her person. WTF is she supposed to do? Throw it away?

Not according to the report I just watched. She was carrying on the job and got outed as a result of one of the customers she visited. (a fed building).

-Mike

She also should be smarter about this. [STRIKE]Like NEVER giving a ride to a co-worker if there is a firearm in your vehicle.[/STRIKE] do anything with a co-worker.

fify

I refuse to socialize with anyone I work with. I know idiots that work and hang together and are even friends on FB....to me that is pretty stupid. Work is work and my life is my life. If I work with you I don't want to even have coffee with you after hours.

fify

I refuse to socialize with anyone I work with. I know idiots that work and hang together and are even friends on FB....to me that is pretty stupid. Work is work and my life is my life. If I work with you I don't want to even have coffee with you after hours.

Don't go getting all mushy on us now

Not according to the report I just watched. She was carrying on the job and got outed as a result of one of the customers she visited. (a fed building).

-Mike

In the video I watched there was no mention of the pistol being on her. Just in her cart. I'll have to go back and look again later.

fify

Feel free. I view things a little differently.

Don't like to bring this up, but if someone was carrying at the beer distributor in Manchester, CT., more than likely the shooter may not have even attempted what he did or he may have not done as much damage as he did, It is a shame that employers don't realize that those that carry are not carrying because they are wack jobs, we carry in hopes of never, ever having to use our guns. If and when we have to expose our gun is only if there is a imminent and dire threat of death or bodily harm to ourselves or those around us, but most employers do not see it that way.

Don't like to bring this up, but if someone was carrying at the beer distributor in Manchester, CT., more than likely the shooter may not have even attempted what he did or he may have not done as much damage as he did, It is a shame that employers don't realize that those that carry are not carrying because they are wack jobs, we carry in hopes of never, ever having to use our guns. If and when we have to expose our gun is only if there is a imminent and dire threat of death or bodily harm to ourselves or those around us, but most employers do not see it that way.

I completely agree, and for not allowing the employees the opportunity to defend themselves and not having adequate security because of that decision, I think that company should be sued out of existence.

This then brings up a morals issue. If you carry for personal defense and you know your company will fire you for having it on you at work, do you defend your sheeple co-workers from a shooter in the building or do you protect yourself and get out yourself? Personally I don't think I could leave while my co-workers are getting mowed down, but I'd have to realize that it's a no win situation for me. Say you do get involved and you shoot the rampaging co-worker and save some lives. At first your company maybe happy you stepped in and saved some lives, but I bet the end result is that you get let go due to breaking company policy. Knowing that could be your fate can push you towards your decision and probably not the decision you would like to think you'd follow.

I would bet that there were 1 or 2 people ccwing in Manchester. I would also bet that they chose to protect themselves and get out of dodge.

Of course it's another ridiculous case.

The story kind of takes a big jump when it says "then her employer found out". Sounds like her coworker ratted her out.

This then brings up a morals issue. If you carry for personal defense and you know your company will fire you for having it on you at work, do you defend your sheeple co-workers from a shooter in the building or do you protect yourself and get out yourself? Personally I don't think I could leave while my co-workers are getting mowed down, but I'd have to realize that it's a no win situation for me. Say you do get involved and you shoot the rampaging co-worker and save some lives. At first your company maybe happy you stepped in and saved some lives, but I bet the end result is that you get let go due to breaking company policy. Knowing that could be your fate can push you towards your decision and probably not the decision you would like to think you'd follow.

I would bet that there were 1 or 2 people ccwing in Manchester. I would also bet that they chose to protect themselves and get out of dodge.

Unless it's a family member that's in danger, you can bet your ass I'm saving myself before anybody else. The purpose of my firearm is not to protect others (in this example: co-workers), but to protect myself if the need arises. If I have a way out at work, it isn't the cowardly thing to do, it's the smart thing to do. Others should have their CCP to protect themselves and stop relying on police/govt.

Unless it's a family member that's in danger, you can bet your ass I'm saving myself before anybody else. The purpose of my firearm is not to protect others (in this example: co-workers), but to protect myself if the need arises. If I have a way out at work, it isn't the cowardly thing to do, it's the smart thing to do. Others should have their CCP to protect themselves and stop relying on police/govt.

Ouch, quite a can of worms there. One must respect your right to make these decisions, which I of course do. But the last line is troubling, because there may be other innocent folks there that were DQ'ed for something inane, like having a DUI or some other nonsense. Do you feel that those who cannot obtain a firearm for whatever reason are TSOL in being potentially protected by "good samaritans"?

I don't carry for anyone else's protection. I carry for me and my family. If I was at work and a rampage started, I'd hide and try to exit, weapon drawn and ready just in case.

IF I happened to be in a spot that gave me the drop on the bad guy, sure, I'd take the shot. But I sure as Hell am not going to go looking for him. I'm saving my own ass first.

I have worked in a couple of places where I was very good friends with my co-workers. In that scenario, I'd try to herd my coworkers out with me, but I sure as Hell wouldn't try to be Rambo and take him out just because I was armed.

Here's an interesting twist on that Manchester story. I was talking to my sister a few weeks ago. The dad of one of her friends works there. He's in his 70's, semi-retired, friend of the owner, and also happens to have hip problems. He drives around the warehouse in a golf cart.

When the shooting started he tried to run the shooter down with the golf cart. He ended up getting hit a few times and has been spending the summer in the hospital. I don't know if he's out of the hospital yet, or what sort of permanent damage he's incurred. But I will say he's got big ones for trying to run the guy down.

Since GA law allows a firearm to be in a vehicle on private, work property, I don't see why it can't be in a vehicle off property during official work business. I think she has a pretty good case.
The report I read indicated she had it on her person, was informed she could not carry into the federal building, and returned to leave it in her car ... all in the presence of her co-worker while they were traveling on company business. It is probably a very weak case, and is unlikely to be protected by the GA "gun in personal car on company property" law.

Ouch, quite a can of worms there. One must respect your right to make these decisions, which I of course do. But the last line is troubling, because there may be other innocent folks there that were DQ'ed for something inane, like having a DUI or some other nonsense. Do you feel that those who cannot obtain a firearm for whatever reason are TSOL in being potentially protected by "good samaritans"
?
Absolutely

My priorities are God, Family, Self, Tribe. No one else.

I re-watched the article and it appears you are correct - I initially thought she was out of the car and had to go back with it. This one could be interesting.

I wouldn't. (I assume you're talking about that one facility, and not the whole city) Carry rates, even in pro gun states, are not that high. (Typically the stat used is the number of permits issued vs the number of otherwise not disqualified adults residing in the state). Even in pro gun states where the per capita ownership is high, the concealed carry rate is still probably very low. I would bet in CT it's probably a tiny fraction of the whole adult population. The stat also would be inaccurate (as in too generous) too, as CT is one of the states where owning/buying/transporting handguns is a pain in the ass without a pistol permit, so many permit holders have them strictly for convenience, not for carry. (The same thing sort of exists in MA... we have like 250K LTC holders but most of them don't actually have them for the sake of carrying a loaded handgun on their person. )

I wish you were right, though.... if the carry rate was that high, no anti gun politician would stand a chance, anywhere.

-Mike

I think though hopefully I am never in a situation where I would need to draw a weapon that I would at least make an effort to disable a shooter if I deemed it feasible. Whether or not a group of innocent people are my friends are not is irrelevant. If I could "maybe" run away and get away with it or decide I was also likely able to stop a massacre, I'd make a sincere effort to stop the massacre first. I think it would be worse to live with the thought that I had a good chance at saving 2-30 lives if I didn't duck and run. All you people saying every man for themselves, would you also just call 911 if you saw someone drowning because you didn't want to risk getting pulled down with them? I honestly think its a bit selfish to say screw everyone else I am just trying to cover my own ass.

Mike

Last edited:
I think though hopefully I am never in a situation where I would need to draw a weapon that I would at least make an effort to disable a shooter if I deemed it feasible. Whether or not a group of innocent people are my friends are not is irrelevant. If I could "maybe" run away and get away with it or decide I was also likely able to stop a massacre, I'd make a sincere effort to stop the massacre first. I think it would be worse to live with the thought that I had a good chance at saving 2-30 lives if I didn't duck and run. All you people saying every man for themselves, would you also just call 911 if you saw someone drowning because you didn't want to risk getting pulled down with them? I honestly think its a bit selfish to say screw everyone else I am just trying to cover my own ass.

Mike
Equating not getting involved in other peoples' fights with not helping anyone in an accident or in distress is a classic strawman argument.

[popcorn]

1%

[wink]

all BS aside, one must weigh their own risk vs. benefits regarding cowboy-ism (being a hero) vs carrying while at work for personal protection. we don't all have CCW sashes and CCW badges. IF i have clear shot after WITNESSING someone on a rampage, you damn skippy i'm putting some rounds down range... otherwise, it's GTFO and let the po po (who are trained) do thier job.

go opposite of the action...

Equating not getting involved in other peoples' fights with not helping anyone in an accident or in distress is a classic strawman argument.

A massacre and a fight are two different things. If some guy came into a place of work and shot someone who is sleeping with his wife that is one thing. If he went into a business/classroom/restaurant, and just randomly starts killing people he is the same thing as a fire which needs to be put out, and you are there armed and equally matched, I would HOPE you would act. I emphasize equally matched because I don't expect someone with a .380 to go after a person with full body armor and an AK, in that case, GTFO.

Helping out in a disaster is helping out in a disaster, man made or natural it is irrelevant.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom