Get Your Ham License in 1 Day: Sat. 4/23/2016

Skydiverjoe, welcome to NES and welcome to the hobby of ham radio!

I second the welcome.

You know that you are completely screwed now, right?

You are now involved in TWO hobbies that can cost you a metric f**k ton of money! One can never have just ONE radio! [rofl]

That's 4 more NESers so far. Outstanding! Anyone else go?

CONGRATULATIONS and welcome to the hobby! Keep the momentum rolling and get a radio. There's nothing wrong with a $35 Baofeng UV-5R as a first radio. I own one. Once your call sign appears in the FCC's data base, be sure to check into CAARA's net Sunday nights at 9:00pm (if you can reach it). They LOVE to hear from their graduates. Stumbling and bumbling in your first net check-in is expected and welcomed :)

It seems everyone recommends the UV-5R as a beginner hand held. Is it actually worth starting with this or should I look into buying the "next radio" from the start?

Are you Bob that was working the desk near the entrance/exit?

It seems everyone recommends the UV-5R as a beginner hand held. Is it actually worth starting with this or should I look into buying the "next radio" from the start?

Are you Bob that was working the desk near the entrance/exit?
I couldn't be there. That "Bob" is probably the one in charge of testing.

I recommend the UV-5R simply because it really does work and if someone isn't sure they will stick with the hobby, or money is tight, they are out very little. And, unlike many of the more expensive radios, you can put the walkie-talkie frequencies (FRS, GMRS) in it and use it just like a Wal-Mart radio (though technically it isn't legal to transmit on those frequencies) with it because it has too much power and a detachable antenna.

I have a UV-5R as a "disposable" back-up to my FT-60. It functions perfectly and the battery lasts a very long time.

I recommend the UV-5R simply because it really does work and if someone isn't sure they will stick with the hobby, or money is tight, they are out very little. And, unlike many of the more expensive radios, you can put the walkie-talkie frequencies (FRS, GMRS) in it and use it just like a Wal-Mart radio (though technically it isn't legal to transmit on those frequencies) with it because it has too much power and a detachable antenna.

I have a UV-5R as a "disposable" back-up to my FT-60. It functions perfectly and the battery lasts a very long time.

+1 to this. I have a few UV-5R's that I was using before I upgraded to a FT-60 and I will keep them in my drawer for backups or if I need to hand out radios for some reason.

The final tally is out. 20 of the 21 students at Tech In A Day passed. Did anyone notice if there were any teenagers there? It's not unusual for several family members to go together.

The final tally is out. 20 of the 21 students at Tech In A Day passed. Did anyone notice if there were any teenagers there? It's not unusual for several family members to go together.

That's awesome.

I am starting to hit the study materials myself to go for the General test next month.

Pretty sure VTHunter was the father and son duo I sat next to...

My son and I attended and were successful as well. We elected not to try the General, having no prep.

And, yes - a long day. He fell asleep on the way home and is upstairs resting...

That's awesome.

I am starting to hit the study materials myself to go for the General test next month.
Awesome. The General opens up the whole world to your antenna. And don't think you need a big station with an antenna on a tower. I've worked many countries from my car with an $18 MFJ brand "hamstick" antenna and 25W. With a 63' piece of wire up in a tree and 3 watts of CW I've worked the far side of the globe (Antarctica). Of course for the really good contacts the ionosphere gods need to be in a good mood.

Awesome. The General opens up the whole world to your antenna. And don't think you need a big station with an antenna on a tower. I've worked many countries from my car with an $18 MFJ brand "hamstick" antenna and 25W. With a 63' piece of wire up in a tree and 3 watts of CW I've worked the far side of the globe (Antarctica). Of course for the really good contacts the ionosphere gods need to be in a good mood.

Yeah, but big stations and antenna farms on towers are part of the fun. [wink]

Pretty sure VTHunter was the father and son duo I sat next to...

If so, I would have been to your left at the table -in the zone with the noise canceling headphones. My son was to my left.

I think he aged 4yrs that day. He didn't leave a teen after that looooong day
He was 14 when he went in :)
At the end of the day, when we were waiting for our grades, I was far more concerned that he passed; Funny, he was confident. He was going through all the calculations and practicing the mathematic aspects. I asked him, 'How many kids your age have their ARL'? Pretty cool...

VThunter, that is very cool that you and your son did it together. And the hobby desperately needs young blood. At the ham fests there are far more liver spots than zits.

VThunter, that is very cool that you and your son did it together. And the hobby desperately needs young blood. At the ham fests there are far more liver spots than zits.

Yeah...my wife asked me when I first started if the average age of a ham was 75 based on how they sound on the radio.

I really couldn't argue with her. The two hams I hang with in Shirley are 68 and 73!!!!

I'm doing my part to lower the mean age of the ham community! I just wish my daughter would get into it...but you can lead a horse to water...etc etc etc.

Yeah...my wife asked me when I first started if the average age of a ham was 75 based on how they sound on the radio.

I really couldn't argue with her. The two hams I hang with in Shirley are 68 and 73!!!!

I'm doing my part to lower the mean age of the ham community! I just wish my daughter would get into it...but you can lead a horse to water...etc etc etc.

You can try bribery, that works pretty well the first few times. That's how I got my daughter to take her ACT exam a second time.

Apparently these are issued in order. You must have come early in the pack. We got KC1FPL & KC1FPM respectively. Now, starting to look for some handheld radios. Looking for something that we can use hunting / hiking that will work when we are on opposite sides of the hill...

Apparently these are issued in order. You must have come early in the pack. We got KC1FPL & KC1FPM respectively. Now, starting to look for some handheld radios. Looking for something that we can use hunting / hiking that will work when we are on opposite sides of the hill...
Father and son with adjoining call signs. Nice!
cool_zpsb18cf5f4.gif

Remember, UHF/VHF is line of sight. If there is a hill between the two of you, you won't be able to chat.

Remember, UHF/VHF is line of sight. If there is a hill between the two of you, you won't be able to chat.
Yeah, these Kmart walkie talkies that claim 20 mile range are talking about line of sight under ideal conditions: 2 boats on the ocean with the radios up on the bridge.

Yeah, these Kmart walkie talkies that claim 20 mile range are talking about line of sight under ideal conditions: 2 boats on the ocean with the radios up on the bridge.

We borrowed some of those midland Walkie Talkies that claimed the long range (we were suspect). They did not work well, even when we were relatively close - perhaps 4 or 500 yards (VT has hills, but they are rolling hills, not cliffs). This is one of the reasons why we were getting our A.R.L. - So we would have more options.
Now that we look at the options, it is overwhelming with all the different radios. I'm not even sure where to start. Read a bit on the Beofeng units online. I think we are looking for something better (ease of programming, accuracy, quality). At least, from what I read on-line, we may like something better. Somewhere on NES, I saw someone give a favorable review of the Icom id-51A. We may need to join a club and learn a bit more before investing. We may just need to take the plunge and learn as we go...

Now that we look at the options, it is overwhelming with all the different radios. I'm not even sure where to start. Read a bit on the Beofeng units online. I think we are looking for something better (ease of programming, accuracy, quality).

I own a couple Baofengs, mine seem to work great and actually performed better than a couple big name ones I was with at the time. Programming is quite easy if you use CHIRP and a FTDI programming cable.

Great price for a starter radio, just make sure to get a better antenna, the stock "rubber duck" antennas that all radios come with are junk for getting any distance.

No reason to not drop $35 on a Baofeng. If nothing more, you have a disposable backup. They really do work.
I started with a Baofeng. It is ridiculously cheap, small, and works well enough. It is in use again because my expensive Kenwood HT is out for repairs for the second time in as many years.

I started with a Baofeng. It is ridiculously cheap, small, and works well enough. It is in use again because my expensive Kenwood HT is out for repairs for the second time in as many years.

Okay, I'm convinced. I see more than a few folks refer to these as their 'bug out' radios. Amazon has an option to combine the radio with a USB cable and Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip. I'm considering the BaoFeng UV-82HP($100) and the BF-F8HP ($85). Prices include radio, cable, and optional whip. Does anyone have experience with either of these units?

Okay, I'm convinced. I see more than a few folks refer to these as their 'bug out' radios. Amazon has an option to combine the radio with a USB cable and Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip. I'm considering the BaoFeng UV-82HP($100) and the BF-F8HP ($85). Prices include radio, cable, and optional whip. Does anyone have experience with either of these units?

I am currently using the Baofeng UV-82HP with the Nagoya-771. Works great. Very easy to program using Chirp.

Back
Top Bottom