Get Your Ham License in 1 Day: Sat. 4/23/2016

Okay, I'm convinced. I see more than a few folks refer to these as their 'bug out' radios. Amazon has an option to combine the radio with a USB cable and Nagoya NA-771 15.6-Inch Whip. I'm considering the BaoFeng UV-82HP($100) and the BF-F8HP ($85). Prices include radio, cable, and optional whip. Does anyone have experience with either of these units?

I think everyone should have at least one UV5R kicking around, they are cheap enough. I have 3 and a drawer full of odds and ends for them. If nothing else I can hand them out to people in a SHTFantasy.

I am probably going to order a UV-82X because I want to play on 220 and that radio looks like the easy way to get into it. If I find it is a dead band or lose interest I can still use it as a 2m HT.

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i can go to get a ham license,
I want to get my license and start learning how to use radios

I'd encourage anyone who has taken or is about to take the Tech exam to knock out the other two as quickly as possible thereafter while still in study mode. It worked for me.

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could tell me where i can go to get a ham license,
I want to get my license and start learning how to use radios
What part of the state do you live in? Quite a few clubs have started giving classes. The CAARA club in Gloucester does theirs about twice a year, so they'll probably hold another in 2-4 months.

Personally I would start here https://hamstudy.org/ and then show up at one of the fall ham festivals.

Just my opinion but tech in a day seems like too much cramming is a very short time. I'm an EE so I had the tech test 90% without study but would NOT have passed the general without the flash cards (and the explanations they provided).

Put the hamstudy site on your phone and spend at least 30 minutes daily on flash cards for about 3 weeks. Instead of checking facebook and email in the checkout line run thru 2-3 flash cards. Sitting on the can...do flash cards. If you get a question wrong, read the explanation...eventually you will get it.

I also strongly suggest you get both the Tech and General. If you want to do some of the cool digital modes you need access to General class frequencies.

My .02

Does anybody know when the next tech in a day class is going to be held?

I am using a cd stud guide and ham test online. Just figured the extra study would be nice in the tiad setting. Oh and I don't have Facebook, thanks for the heads up on the general the same day.

Personally I would start here https://hamstudy.org/ and then show up at one of the fall ham festivals.

Just my opinion but tech in a day seems like too much cramming is a very short time. I'm an EE so I had the tech test 90% without study but would NOT have passed the general without the flash cards (and the explanations they provided).

Put the hamstudy site on your phone and spend at least 30 minutes daily on flash cards for about 3 weeks. Instead of checking facebook and email in the checkout line run thru 2-3 flash cards. Sitting on the can...do flash cards. If you get a question wrong, read the explanation...eventually you will get it.

I also strongly suggest you get both the Tech and General. If you want to do some of the cool digital modes you need access to General class frequencies.

My .02

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you fr the info much appreciated

Tech in a Day is going to be offered at the Boxboro ARRL convention on 9/9/17 from 9AM to 5PM.

More information here: Tech-In-A-Day They haven't updated the date on their website, but it is being offered at Boxboro on the 9th.

Here's the signup form if you are interested:

Tech-in-a-Day™ Signup

HTH

I used the tech-in-a-day as sort of a final pre-test cram session. I brought the study guides for General and Extra. I sat and studied with the class, but since it's mostly just silent study from their Tech study-guide, I spent the first hour on the Tech, then the rest of the time cramming for the higher licenses. It worked. By the time I left I was dragg'n ass tired, but I passed all 3 in the same sitting. It did help a lot that I'm an electrical engineer who actually designs circuitry for a living (as opposed to those all digital guys that spend their days writing code).

I used the tech-in-a-day as sort of a final pre-test cram session. I brought the study guides for General and Extra. I sat and studied with the class, but since it's mostly just silent study from their Tech study-guide, I spent the first hour on the Tech, then the rest of the time cramming for the higher licenses. It worked. By the time I left I was dragg'n ass tired, but I passed all 3 in the same sitting. It did help a lot that I'm an electrical engineer who actually designs circuitry for a living (as opposed to those all digital guys that spend their days writing code).

Congratulations on your achievement. What usually trips up the technical guys are the questions on regulations.

Congratulations on your achievement. What usually trips up the technical guys are the questions on regulations.
Thanks. And, yup! One reason I'm not a programmer is I don't memorize minutiae at all well. Trying to memorize the subtle corners of the bands and all the fussy little regulations on 3rd party transmissions, etc were the hardest for me. Common sense works for some, but the laws were written by government people so....

I'm taking a 10 week general license class right now. The single best thing from the class is being able to see things first hand. Different antennas, working different frequencies, proper radio configuration, antenna tuners and usages, etc. That's the kind of stuff that is hard to glean from the ARRL books but seeing it in real life and honestly I feel like I am actually gaining useful knowledge. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm taking a 10 week general license class right now. The single best thing from the class is being able to see things first hand. Different antennas, working different frequencies, proper radio configuration, antenna tuners and usages, etc. That's the kind of stuff that is hard to glean from the ARRL books but seeing it in real life and honestly I feel like I am actually gaining useful knowledge. Just my 2 cents.

That sounds great. Really more than just a license class, it's a how-to ham radio class.

It's one thing to talk about antennas and it's quite another to see them in action. I get to see towers, counterpoise wires, etc. It's a lot easier to understand seeing it in real life. That's what makes it easy to understand.

It's one thing to talk about antennas and it's quite another to see them in action. I get to see towers, counterpoise wires, etc. It's a lot easier to understand seeing it in real life. That's what makes it easy to understand.

Who offers classes like this?

Back
Top Bottom