getting ready for next year

I like the Sierra 69 gr for 200-300 yards. I have about 200 / 75 gr Hornady's for 600.
I want to get a jump on next year. What would be a good bullet weight / brand for 600 yds?
Also, is 69 gr. good enough for short range " For a newbie" ?
Thanks, Mike

69s shoot great. Can't tell you the number of cleans I've shot with them at 200 & 300, there were so many I've forgotten.

I like Sierra 80s but the Hornady 80s are supposed to be pretty good.

B

69s shoot great. Can't tell you the number of cleans I've shot with them at 200 & 300, there were so many I've forgotten.

I like Sierra 80s but the Hornady 80s are supposed to be pretty good.

B

Next year I hope to shoot at least 1 clean at 200 or 300. what a feeling that would be for me.
Thanks, Mike

I shot 69s for my first couple years and had moments of brilliance the few times my head wasn't up my ass. The shots that weren't Xs were because of me, not the bullets. I recently switched to Nosler 77s only because they supposedly shoot just as good as the Sierras and I got a really good deal on them.

At 600 I think probably 90% of the good shooters shoot Sierra 80s. I hear Nosler 80s are just as good there too but I have a ton of Sierras 80s so I'm not switching anytime soon.

69's or 77's for short range

77's or 80's for 600. I use Sierra 80's, because i've got 4 or 5 thousand of them.

and yes, the Nosler 77's shoot very well. I'm picking up my latest order of them tomorrow morning (10,000)

I never had good luck with the Hornady bullets. maybe my rifle(s) just dont like them....but the 69s and 77s have shot well in everything i've EVER tried them in.

Mike, if you want, I think I have about half a box of hornady 75's sitting in a drawer....should be 300-350 or so left.

I shot 69s for my first couple years and had moments of brilliance the few times my head wasn't up my ass. The shots that weren't Xs were because of me, not the bullets. I recently switched to Nosler 77s only because they supposedly shoot just as good as the Sierras and I got a really good deal on them.

At 600 I think probably 90% of the good shooters shoot Sierra 80s. I hear Nosler 80s are just as good there too but I have a ton of Sierras 80s so I'm not switching anytime soon.

How many rounds of 600 yd ammo for a season?
Will 1000 be more than enough?

IDPA Mike said:
Last question for the night . For my skil level will Noslers be good enough?
They are much cheaper?

That's what Jeff and Mikey shoot and they can both put up some decent scores. [wink]

I think they're around 2/3rds of the price of Sierra. Pretty significant.

Mike: We'll talk sunday. We're gonna be getting more Nosler's, so don't order anything just yet.

to late I just ordered 1000 each of the 69's and 80's.
My impatience got me again.
I can use another box of 69's.I only got 1 box. The place I get them from was on backoreder

Last edited:
I'm using 69's exclusively this year at 200 because I had a box of 500 I needed to burn through. Looking through my notebook, almost half of my rapids are cleans and I've shot three 8X-cleans this year with them, which is way better than I ever did with my normal Sierra 77's. This barrel likes the 69's I guess. (same as yours; WOA Wilson)
So yes, the 69's will work very well at the short yardages.
I still use the 77's at 300 because I have it in my head that I need to.

80 grain Sierra, Nosler, or Hornady for 600. I'm using Sierra's, but I don't think there is much difference between them and the Noslers. The Hornady A-max's are a bit more slippy I'm told.
Now, that being said, there are a lot of excellent shooters who use mag-length 77's at 600 and they aren't losing any points. Up here in the North East, the shorter bullets are not a disadvantage.

i'm nearly ready

2012-08-21_18-38-50_756.jpg

got a case (30lbs) of RE15 too

I am assuming you are all running a 1:7 twist barrel?

Would you change bullet weights for 1:8? That is what I have in my RRA NM.

Jasper, where do you get such a bulk purchase from? Do you just have your local shop special order?

Last edited:
Nosler has some ridiculously low prices on all their bulk purchase of bullets for NRA/CMP clubs. The guys in Scarborough/Hampden/Nashua just get together and do a drop ship/bulk buy. I think I got about $400 worth this last go round.

B

It just looked like a ton of 77's

keep in mind, when i buy, i buy deep, and usually stockpile enough components for at least a couple years worth of shooting (this 77's order is ~2.5-3 years worth). I also *hate* loading for matches. I do it because I need to. Now, I do enjoy reloading, and tinkering and whatnot, but this is just a LOT of the same load ive always shot (theres no tinkering...its a proven performer)...so I'd just as soon do it all during the winter, when I have some downtime

keep in mind, when i buy, i buy deep, and usually stockpile enough components for at least a couple years worth of shooting (this 77's order is ~2.5-3 years worth). I also *hate* loading for matches. I do it because I need to. Now, I do enjoy reloading, and tinkering and whatnot, but this is just a LOT of the same load ive always shot (theres no tinkering...its a proven performer)...so I'd just as soon do it all during the winter, when I have some downtime

Are you guys making another group Nossler buy this year?

Jeff.
Do you use he 77's for 200 and 300?
I am going to use the 80's at 600 and 77's at 300. I just don't know if I should stick with 69's at 200, or shoot the 77's at 200 as well ?
To many different weights.

use up the 69s youve got for 200 and 300. then swap to 77's for 200/300.

personally it sounds like a disaster waiting to happen trying to keep track of 2 different classes of mag-length ammo.

I like simple.

Getting ready to place my order.
Is 3 grains that big of a deal?'
Why not use all 80 gr or all 77gr across the corse ?
Just curious

Because you can't really load 80s to magazine length.

Those 3 grains in bullet weight are in a totally different profile than the 77's. Whether it makes a difference on paper or not is open to debate.

Are you guys making another group Nossler buy this year?

Mike (AKA Rudder)
I won't refer to you as rudder anymore cuz we cured that problem at the NFGA clinics of you steering your prone NPA with your left foot.

You should have gotten Tim's Nosler order info. If you didn't email me and I'll forward it to you.
(Hint, +/- a fraction...
Don't sweat the bullet manufactureur / bullet weight label too much.
Highpower is a position / shot execution game and they all go pretty much where we point them... :)

On another note...
You Worked Hard and made Excellent... Progress.... this year!
Do me a favor.....

Look back in this thread to your statements in ....
Post #1 "A Newbie"
Post #3 "HOPE to shoot at least ... cleans next year"
Post #8 "For my Skill Level...."

From the expierience you gained in the matches you shot and the NFGA clinics you attended.
You have all the basics now.....

Your "Next Step" is to apply the The Power of Positive Thinking, Visualization and Realistic Goal Setting and start
preparing for next season.

You earned an in if you want to travel and stay wih the NFGA bums at Perry next year!

George

Last edited:
Mike (AKA Rudder)
I won't refer to you as rudder anymore cuz we cured that problem at the NFGA clinics of you steering your prone NPA with your left foot.

You should have gotten Tim's Nosler order info. If you didn't email me and I'll forward it to you.
(Hint, +/- a fraction...
Don't sweat the bullet manufactureur / bullet weight label too much.
Highpower is a position / shot execution game and they all go pretty much where we point them... :)

On another note...
You Worked Hard and made Excellent... Progress.... this year!
Do me a favor.....

Look back in this thread to your statements in ....
Post #1 "A Newbie"
Post #3 "HOPE to shoot at least ... cleans next year"
Post #8 "For my Skill Level...."

From the expierience you gained in the matches you shot and the NFGA clinics you attended.
You have all the basics now.....

Your "Next Step" is to apply the The Power of Positive Thinking, Visualization and Realistic Goal Setting and start
preparing for next season.

You earned an in if you want to travel and stay wih the NFGA bums at Perry next year!

George

Thanks, George.
I just sent him my $$ for some Noslers.

Back
Top Bottom