Getting Ready to put my AR together...A few quick questions.

Ok so I am going to put my first AR together. I will have all my parts within the nest week or so.

Question, when I put it together, what should I use for lubricant? And is there specific parts I should take care to lube? Is there something specific you would recommend?

Any tips on things I should watchout for?

Jamie, I don't know the answer to your questions, but if you visit www.ar15.com, and look in the AR-15 section, Build it Yourself, you will find the answers you seek.

Here is the link: http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

Be sure to post a pic of your finished project!

Darius

Last edited:
I use regular gun oil (Break Free) for assembly and normal use. I would put a little bit of anti seize compound (I prefer copper based) on the barrel extension threads before assembling the top end.

putting together an AR

The proper Lubricant for assembling an AR is Molybdenum Disulfide grease. The important places to lube while assembling, are the threads of the barrel nut assembly and the upper receiver, and the lower receiver extension threads (the buffer tube). When torquing the barrel nut it is recommended that you use the "three times" method ( using the torque wrench ) bring the nut up to a minimum of 30 ft/lbs then back off, repeat two more times. The third time is the final torque. If the gas tube hole and the barrel nut do not line up tighten to the next slot (80 ft/lbs MAX), never loosen to align the hole and the tube. You can use a number 15 twist drill as a guide (0.180 in). another trick is to sight down the bore at a vertical line the look up and make sure that the front sight post lines up with the line, this will put you in the ball park for windage. Buffer tube torque is 35-39 ft/lbs.

Where do I get Molybdenum Disulfide grease? I know that Bushmaster offers Moly Paste and I have Moly Lube (Sorta a real thick oil with moly in it), but I have never seen a grease that I can remember.

Ok so in the lower I need to lube what? For the buffer tube, do I need to lube the whole thing?

I am still waiting on my upper and parts but have been farting around slowly putting my lower together as I have a spare minute since my upper is another week or two out anyway.

Where do I get Molybdenum Disulfide grease? I know that Bushmaster offers Moly Paste and I have Moly Lube (Sorta a real thick oil with moly in it), but I have never seen a grease that I can remember.

Ok so in the lower I need to lube what? For the buffer tube, do I need to lube the whole thing?

I am still waiting on my upper and parts but have been farting around slowly putting my lower together as I have a spare minute since my upper is another week or two out anyway.

Any auto parts store... ADAP, Auto Zone, Pep Boys (it's bearing grease).

A 1lb can is enough for a couple of thousand AR barrels with enough left over to do a lube job on your and the wifes car. [grin]

There's not much of anything that needs to be lubed on the lower... maybe a drop or two on the fire control group.

You don't need to lube the buffer tube. Just wipe down the buffer spring with whatever gun lube you normally use (I use CLP myself)... oh yeah, the "sproing" you'll hear is normal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom