• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Getting Started in HAM

Can make it this Saturday, but I'll try to make the next one. Sounds great.

The tech class is all about getting by with little knowledge gained. You will learn leaps and bounds more once you get your Tech and a radio and start using it. Go to Hamstudy.org and sign up for an account, it has a great study tool and online practice test. Once you are consistently over 85-90% on the practice tests you can take the test at a club local to you.

I've never liked those Tech-in-a-day classes and feel strongly that it mints clueless radio operators. I think any potential amateur should contact their local club and ask for an elmer, an experienced and knowledgeable ham, who can really teach you well BEFORE you develop bad habits.

I have been listening into the local bridgewater repeater since I got my scanner last week. Going to pick up a baefong radio and the ham book to hopefully take the test soon, very excited about the possibilities with ham.

To the OP,
If you are just interested in ecomm, a tech license and a decent 2M radio may be exactly what you are looking for. Check out a Yaesu handheld. I've owned 2 and they have both been great.
I was originally interested in DX and figured I would upgrade my Tech license as I learned. The thing is, ham is just so expensive. I haven't used my 2M in a long time. I won't be upgrading my license and radio until I get rich or find a cheap radio at a yard sale...
The coolest thing that happened with my Tech license was when I got a call on the phone from a local HAM. He was relaying a contact from a ham from the other side of the country telling me to stick with the hobby and upgrade my license. I was pumped until I saw how much that radio would cost me.

What do you consider expensive. I see older radios in the want ads all the time. For a few hundred dollars you can be on the air talking with other countries.

To the OP,
If you are just interested in ecomm, a tech license and a decent 2M radio may be exactly what you are looking for. Check out a Yaesu handheld. I've owned 2 and they have both been great.
I was originally interested in DX and figured I would upgrade my Tech license as I learned. The thing is, ham is just so expensive. I haven't used my 2M in a long time. I won't be upgrading my license and radio until I get rich or find a cheap radio at a yard sale...
The coolest thing that happened with my Tech license was when I got a call on the phone from a local HAM. He was relaying a contact from a ham from the other side of the country telling me to stick with the hobby and upgrade my license. I was pumped until I saw how much that radio would cost me.

What do you consider expensive. I see older radios in the want ads all the time. For a few hundred dollars you can be on the air talking with other countries.

"Expensive" is relative. But for me it would basically be anything over $500 to test the waters with a limited radio.

I related my story since if OP is looking for an emergency communication backup system, 2M hand helds may be the way to go. Not to mention they are easy to power in an an emergency. TONS of guys on 2M. He'll easily drop $1000 on a single Yaesu 857 and any power supplies, antenna tuners, etc which he though was already expensive without accessories. The amateur radio network is huge and connected. If there was some huge national disaster where people couldn't communicate across the country, I'm sure you guys receiving those long distance transmissions would share info with us local guys on 2M.

ie) Take a look at this ad: QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1062240 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line He's asking $350. There's also a brand new Alinco HF transceiver for $485.
I highly recommend taking the leap. It's a lot of fun.

"Expensive" is relative. But for me it would basically be anything over $500 to test the waters with a limited radio.

I related my story since if OP is looking for an emergency communication backup system, 2M hand helds may be the way to go. Not to mention they are easy to power in an an emergency. TONS of guys on 2M. He'll easily drop $1000 on a single Yaesu 857 and any power supplies, antenna tuners, etc which he though was already expensive without accessories. The amateur radio network is huge and connected. If there was some huge national disaster where people couldn't communicate across the country, I'm sure you guys receiving those long distance transmissions would share info with us local guys on 2M.

Back
Top Bottom